What trail helmet.......best comfort versus best performance

RallyRob

Been using the S-Works Evade helmet for a number of years and always been very happy with the comfort and overall performance of this model range......although the lower profile of my latest Evade II took a bit of getting used to.

A friend recently escaped serious head injury because of the more trail orientated helmet he was wearing, and without the added protection at the back of the head he would have taken a direct blow from a rock and judging by the damage to his helmet the injury would have been severe.

Although I typically prefer to use products which are aimed at providing out-and-out performance (this is unfortunately not evident from my actual performance) I am not a youngster and need to consider safety as my main priority....hence I think it’s time to move to a more trail orientated helmet with added coverage at the back of the head.

I have been doing some research online and cannot seem to get a clear indication as to which product offers the best combination of performance, comfort and protection.

Having been very happy with my previous Specialized helmets my initial thought is to go with the Ambush model, however the more I look the more options I come across and every helmet seems to have a good write-up somewhere.

Would appreciate your comments and recommendations to try and narrow down the number of options.

Spez are good (had a vice for years and loved it)

Bell 6ixer (I may have the name wrong)

Poc Trabec (my Pic)

If you’re looking for a trail helmet and not an aero racing helmet then the Leatt dbx is good value and jade some great safety features. IXS make some very solid but airy trail helmets and the pocs are very safty focused. Personally I don’t get on with MIPS so that rules out a few options.

Been using the S-Works Evade helmet for a number of years and always been very happy with the comfort and overall performance of this model range......although the lower profile of my latest Evade II took a bit of getting used to.

A friend recently escaped serious head injury because of the more trail orientated helmet he was wearing, and without the added protection at the back of the head he would have taken a direct blow from a rock and judging by the damage to his helmet the injury would have been severe.

Although I typically prefer to use products which are aimed at providing out-and-out performance (this is unfortunately not evident from my actual performance) I am not a youngster and need to consider safety as my main priority....hence I think it’s time to move to a more trail orientated helmet with added coverage at the back of the head.

I have been doing some research online and cannot seem to get a clear indication as to which product offers the best combination of performance, comfort and protection.

Having been very happy with my previous Specialized helmets my initial thought is to go with the Ambush model, however the more I look the more options I come across and every helmet seems to have a good write-up somewhere.

Would appreciate your comments and recommendations to try and narrow down the number of options.

Bell super (your choice, half-lid only or detachable-chin-bar option)

TLD A1

I've had Spez, Fox, Bell and IXS trail helmets, but I keep going back to the TLD A1, which I'm currently riding with. It is by far the most comfortable of the lot. So much so that I just ordered a new one (with MIPS) as a spare, seeing that my A1 is now 5 yrs old. #timetoreplace

I have the Rudy Project Protera, chosen 100% because it fitted my pip the best.

Pads are readily available and straps come out so they can be washed. 

Take a look at my helmet journey, might find some details that could help you in yours.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/170942-mtb-helmet-advice/

Hi..................please tell who stocks this helmet in SA?...............keen on this one.............

I've been using the IXS Trail RS Evo (what a mouthful) for about 18 months now.  It's a great lid, comfy well ventilated, great pads and I generally don't notice that it's there. 

I also like that not everyone has one. 

Hi..................please tell who stocks this helmet in SA?...............keen on this one.............

I just ordered my Protera from.... Takealot of all places!