AndrewPoluta

Hi Guys

I run a SRAM X01 1x11 drive train.

After almost every ride I clean my chain by removing it and shaking it around in paraffin, rinsing throughly with water and then relubing with Smoove chain lube once dry.

I use a park tool CC-3.2 chain wear gauge to monitor wear and replace chains when they reach 0.5% wear. I do this because of the price of X01 cassettes and chain rings.

My issue is that I only get about 500kms out of a KMC or SRAM chain riding in mixed Gauteng conditions. Is this normal?

Ive seen many different arguments when it comes to chain cleaning and maintenence, but i have heard that deep cleaning your chain in heavy solvents and degreasers will actually ruin your chain. Kmc says that even a chain bath washer will instantly ruin your chain. (http://www.kmcchain.eu/MAINTENANCE). It seems like doing so cleans the grease out of the inner most part of the links where lube doesnt get to. Not sure what to believe anymore but maybe its worth a shot for you. Im starting to think washing a bike very often might too more damage than good.

Ive seen many different arguments when it comes to chain cleaning and maintenence, but i have heard that deep cleaning your chain in heavy solvents and degreasers will actually ruin your chain. Kmc says that even a chain bath washer will instantly ruin your chain. (http://www.kmcchain.eu/MAINTENANCE). It seems like doing so cleans the grease out of the inner most part of the links where lube doesnt get to. Not sure what to believe anymore but maybe its worth a shot for you. Im starting to think washing a bike very often might too more damage than good.

Thanks Jaco, this was very helpful.

AS per Fanie, Stop removing the chain and stop cleaning it in Paraffin the way you are currently. Paraffin will dissolve the luvricant inside the chain but it won't wash out the dirt. If you continue using paraffin then you need an ultrasonic bath and an air dryer to dry the chain before you apply chain lube.

Prepsol or The PinkStuff in a chain cleaner is enough. I also usebikewash in a small tube and a high pressure washer but then allow the chain to dry completely before reapplying lubricant.

You're removing all lubricants (by soaking in paraffin) and then adding water (by rinsing with, um, water). Then you seal the water in with Smoove, which doesn't get into the pins. That's why it's not lasting long.

You only need to wipe the chain (and drivetrain) down with an old towel after each ride, and then relube. Give it a scrub with a scrubber and prepsol after a few rides when it's looking grubby, allow to dry in the sun/oven and relube while warm.

Agreed the cleaning  with paraffin and the using water afterwards is a killer .I have done 8000km in a year on a Shimano Deore group set ( chain ) and a Sunrace crank set , and only last week replaced chain and big chain rim because its aluminium .  I wash my bike with water only to get dust and mud off , I wipe the chain clean with a towel type cloth and then relube using the oil off road bikers use on chains with a cloth soaked in it , 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

The general consensus to this issue was that I should stop using Paraffin and stop stripping the chain of all lubrication after every ride.

I have therefore started the following routine: After every ride i wipe down/scrub and relube chain, after every 2/3 rides or after very long or muddy rides i spray specific chain cleaner (namgear from Bike Addict) on the chain and then wipe down/scrub, rinse thoroughly, dry and relube. (all done without removing chain)

But again after 500km my parktool slots in at 0,5% wear!

What mileage do you guys get on a chain? And what chains are you using? 

I think you are still overcleaning.  Specific chain cleaners like Namgear Charlie are still quite harsh solvents like paraffin. Use Squirt or Smoove but just brush with a stiff brush and wipe with a dry cloth then relube. Wash occasionally with the Namgear Bravo. Sometimes I wipe the chain with a cloth just damp with the Charlie, but don't spray it on the chain - not sure this is even necessary.  I get at least 2000km on a chain.

If you are going to clean that thoroughly I think you are better off with a wet lube that has more chance of getting to the internals.

Also your chain checker might be off - they're not very accurate. Try with a 12" steel rule, and if more than 1/16" over 12". 

I also think cleaning with paraffin makes the chain measure longer as all the lube has been stripped out of the rollers. 

I don't ride in muddy conditions much but my 11s KMC chain which has done 14 months of an average of around 20km a week is still well under 50% worn. That's with no cleaning other than a run through an  old towel, a dry brush on the cassette and ring to get excess lube and dirt build up off and relubing with Smoove every 3-4 rides or so. Wax lubes are designed to peel off with the dirt as far as I know. I also always leave the packing grease on a new chain and after wiping it down when dirty, gradually start adding wax lube when necessary. ( I used to use a Park chain scrubber and didn't get spectacular chain life, perhaps worse than i do now)

Cleaning is over rated IMO :-) 

the key issue here is there people are using very strong solvents to chain their chains which removes the lubricant.

Then if you do not allow the chain to dry properly, apply lube on top of the solvent which does not allow the lube to get to the inside of the chain.

A wipe down with warm water and sunlight liquid is usually adequate. Allow to dry and then apply lube.