Must-have albums for your music collection

Readsalot

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice how do you find the P2 with the carbon cartridge pretty good bang for your buck sound quality wise

I'm no audiophile but i do like good music.The P2 is connected to a Yamaha S501 amp and Triangle Comete EZ bookshelf speakers.

I wanted a turntable that was easy to set-up and easy to use and sounded great.At the end of the day it was between the P2 and the Pro-Ject Xpression3.The P2 sounded better with more bass and more detail.

I tested both with SEAL's Love's Devine and Kiss from a Rose.With the P2 i could clearly hear the thunder in the background but not as clearly with the Pro-Ject.

Really good value for money and should last me many years.

I'm no audiophile but i do like good music.The P2 is connected to a Yamaha S501 amp and Triangle Comete EZ bookshelf speakers.

I wanted a turntable that was easy to set-up and easy to use and sounded great.At the end of the day it was between the P2 and the Pro-Ject Xpression3.The P2 sounded better with more bass and more detail.

I tested both with SEAL's Love's Devine and Kiss from a Rose.With the P2 i could clearly hear the thunder in the background but not as clearly with the Pro-Ject.

Really good value for money and should last me many years.

Cant go wrong with Rega I have the P3 and it sounds really good had the intention of upgrading it with a TT psu and more expensive cart etc but its just so good out the box I have kept it standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Having read through this entire thread now, there are a lot of albums which would be on my list which have been mentioned already. It pleases me no end when I see that there are actually other people in SA who listen to or even know the music I listen to. The circle of people I can talk music with is virtually non-existent. At work, not a single person. I have cycling buddies I’ve sweated long hard miles with whom I have zero in common with musically.

Anyway, onto the actual topic of the thread… Interesting one for me, as I am a bit of an anomaly, I guess. I still buy CDs. Yes, really. And I pay for downloads when I can't find he albums which is more often than not the case now. And I try always download in Hi Res if I can.

Very occasionally I’ll go visit Mr. Vinyl near Awkward Park. I have some albums in 3 or 4 formats or editions. I do not stream. I don’t like renting music and I don’t like how little the artists get paid. $5 for a million streams doesn’t seem that fair to me.

A couple of years ago I stumbled onto an app made by Onkyo which allows me to play WAV, FLAC and ALAC files on my iPhone. So I have a 256gb phone with approximately 252gb of hi res or at least CD quality music on it. And that’s’ how 80% of my listening is done these days.

As for the actual albums I would say are essential? Well, I have arguably all the ‘classic’ rock albums… All the Pink Floyd remasters, all the Led Zep remasters, all the Beatles remasters (the stereo studio albums, at any rate) Doors etc. But I’ve realised that classic album doesn’t necessarily mean one you listen to often or on repeat. For example, I listen to Pink Floyd’s Animals way more than I do DSOTM. In Fact on my phone Animals and Wish You Were Here are a ‘double album’ playlist.

There are albums I cannot be without. I may not listen to them daily or even weekly but I have to hear them on regular rotation, no matter what phase I’m going through (like when I listen to nothing but Frank Zappa or Shawn Phillips for days on end, driving the wife bonkers) I will always return to them and these arguably get played more than most. Often, (but not always) I find the album an artist is most known for is not the one I listen to most often.

Some of these, in no particular order, are:

David Baerwald – Triage

Roger Waters – Amused to Death

Johnny Clegg & Savuka – Heat, Dust & Dreams

Miles Davis – Kind Of Blue  

Johnny Cash – American III: Solitary Man

Jimmy Smith – Midnight Special/Back At the Chicken Shack (Two albums drawn from the same recording sessions and also perfect when played back to back)

Neil Young – Silver & Gold

Bob Marley & The Wailers – Exodus

Frank Zappa – Overnite Sensation

Love & Money – Strange Kind Of Love

Tears For Fears – Seeds Of Love

Crosby Stills & Nash – Crosby Stills & Nash

Steely Dan – Aja

Steely Dan – Gaucho

Deacon Blue - Raintown

Audioslave – Audioslave

Daft Punk – Random Access Memories

Bob Dylan – Blood On The Tracks

Paul Simon – Hearts and Bones

Van Morrison – Moondance

Norah Jones – Come Away With Me

Tom Petty – Wildflowers

Robin Auld – Heavy Water

John Mayer – Born & Raised

Dave Alvin – West of the West

Karen Zoid – Media

Dave Brubeck – Time Out

Tom Waits – Blue Valentines

Paul Weller – Stanley Road

Stevie Wonder – Hotter than July

Ray LaMontagne – Trouble

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Big Country – The Crossing

Jason Isbell - Southeastern

Tracy Chapman – Greatest Hits (Including this because it is a great overview from all her albums but especially as the songs are remastered, showing how much we need a remaster of that seminal debut album of hers)

Mark Knopfler – Sailing to Philadelphia

Dire Straits – Love Over Gold

I could go on and on…. There is so much good music out there and I discover more every day.

Edited by Sidersky

What are the albums you consider essential to your music collection? Albums you will keep replacing/upgrading, no matter how much music technology changes.

Rules:

Must be a whole album, not just one song, but it can be a Best Of collection, like Creedence Clearwater Revival - The Premier Collection.

Must name specific albums, not just "everything by Pink Floyd".

Can be soundtracks, like 1492 Conquest of Paradise by Vangelis.

Special allowance should be made for this answer :whistling:​ 

77d524617eeddf58383daf6863dbf369.jpg

Remember when .. that album was banned in the good 'ole RSA

d226ba9211b9c832b5cb7d11d5bf1422.jpg

I have that on CD- great album,possibly their best imho.

Edited by kosmonooit

Remember when .. that album was banned in the good 'ole RSA

I have that on CD- great album,possibly their best imho.

Jis man In Utero is also really good. For me anyway. And Bleach if you are having a rough day.