Frame protection option's

Mongooser

What ? Where ? Why ?

Your bike may suffer the following three :

- stoned kicked up on the trail - protect these areas with VPS or similar ...

- clamp marks from your bike rack - I use a cloth for this.

- for the normal dust scratches - polish the bike with NAM bike polish.  Takes maybe one minute to do this, and the much dont stick to your paint.  MUCH easier to clean the bike, and so much less chance of scratches !!

What ? Where ? Why ?

Your bike may suffer the following three :

- stoned kicked up on the trail - protect these areas with VPS or similar ...

- clamp marks from your bike rack - I use a cloth for this.

- for the normal dust scratches - polish the bike with NAM bike polish. Takes maybe one minute to do this, and the much dont stick to your paint. MUCH easier to clean the bike, and so much less chance of scratches !!

It's a downhill bike. They take a lot more beating when shuttling and riding.

Mongooser, what bike did you get?

I went the school boom contact route with my new frame, but it has already started peeling off. I reckon I'm going the maizeys product route next.

For shuttling if ziptied a piece of D-rubber underneath my top tube where the frame rests on the trailer/Bakkie and tapedy black insulation tape onto the fork crowns.

Have you guys seen kydex

I would like to get a piece for the lower section of my downtube.

Only place i can find is in joberg they sell small pieces, but shipping is alot.

Hi all

Sure this has been asked to death

Bought my first brand new dh bike last night

Pics or it didn't happen!

It's a downhill bike. They take a lot more beating when shuttling and riding.

Mongooser, what bike did you get?

I went the school boom contact route with my new frame, but it has already started peeling off. I reckon I'm going the maizeys product route next.

For shuttling if ziptied a piece of D-rubber underneath my top tube where the frame rests on the trailer/Bakkie and tapedy black insulation tape onto the fork crowns.

got a KTM Aphex,the world Cup spec one

The bike already has a vinyl gaurds down the entire bottom tube. Rest looks very exposed tho.

Going to make a protective slipons from same stuff as a chainslap gaurd that comes off easily and wraps around main parts of the frame. Rest ill try 3m tape or vps. Ive tried using old tubes around my Forks once or twice. Never tried insulation tape

Edited by Mongooser

heat oven to 250 degrees, let Kydex get real floppy, put on some leather gloves, take floppy Kydex and mold it to the frame. The rest was some light filing, rounding edges and drilling/Dremeling a hole for the derailleur cable. Once it's molded, it's practically self-adhering since it wraps inward around the side edges of the downtube. However, I did put a small strip of 3M tape between the bottom bracket and the protector to keep any fore/aft shifting from happening. Give it a shot, it weighs nothing, and I'm fairly certain it'll be worth it! The result is the pic below:

p4pb15631412.jpg

Edited by Eddy Gordo

Jason from G2G was telling me a while back that one of his customers had a frame wrapped for under R1k. (It was a while ago though)

R1400 for the frame and fork now.

Have you guys seen kydex

I would like to get a piece for the lower section of my downtube.

Only place i can find is in joberg they sell small pieces, but shipping is alot.

Google suggest Maizey Plastics in Bellville  : "kydex suppliers cape town"

Hi all

Sure this has been asked to death

Bought my first brand new dh bike last night and I want to do every safety measure to protect the frame.

Never owned a new bike so I didn't really care about cosmetic damage

now I'm to scared to even look at the New bike funny or it might scratch

What kind of options are there? All I know about is ams sticker kits but that costs alot. Ive heard of aerosol cans that coat the frame.

Any suggestions or advise

Thanks

Theres a guy in Cape Town that will VPS your frame. Clear protective film. Herman tel: 072765 3008