Shimano 11 tooth 10 speed cog

Denisw1

Hi,

I bought a road bike with Shimano 105 components and an 12-28 rear cassette. I have found that the 12 tooth does not give me a high enough speed and want to replace it with an 11 tooth gear. All the bike shops I have been to want to sell me a complete cassette with an 11 tooth gear but not just the 11 tooth gear itself. There is virtually no wear on the cassette and it makes no sense to replace the complete cassette. Is there anywhere I can get just the 11 tooth gear for the 10 speed Shimano 105? Or do I have to replace the complete cassette?

All advice appreciated.

Denis

As far as I know you will have to replace the entire cassette. I don't know of anywhere that supplies single cogs.

If you're lucky you might be able to fish one out of an old parts bin if someone has replaced a cassette and the 11-tooth cog is still in good condition.

On 11sp you can get the 11T loose, but on 10sp you can't.  So it's new cassette day or nothing. 

I've checked and the 10 speed,11T is loose, one should be able to change just the single gear.

Edited by Denisw1

On 11sp you can get the 11T loose, but on 10sp you can't.  So it's new cassette day or nothing. 

Of course you can! the 11T is seperate (for SRAM cassettes anyway, not sure about Shimano 105)

OP, you can replace the 12T with the 11T, but you will really struggle to find an 11T sprocket to buy.

Your best bet is to ask in the classifieds if anyone has an old cassette they will sell for cheap, or alternatively give to you for free. I may have an old 10s cassette you can have, but will need to confirm in the parts bin at home. 

*Forgot to add: Although this setup will work, your shifting at bottom end will likely be poor.

Edited by Schnavel

your problem is that a 12-28 cassette ratio is 12/13/14/15/16 and up

11-28 is 11/12/13/14/15/16 and up 

if you just swop out the 12 for a 11 you going to jump from 11 to 13 and the shifting is going to be horrid.

and to add you cant get loose 11t on 10 speed .

sorry Ne.

From what I understand is that you will influence your shifting negatively as the jump from 11 to the other gears is then fairly big.  Simply replace the casette and keep that one for when you are going into the mountains.

your problem is that a 12-28 cassette ratio is 12/13/14/15/16 and up

11-28 is 11/12/13/14/15/16 and up

if you just swop out the 12 for a 11 you going to jump from 11 to 13 and the shifting is going to be horrid.

and to add you cant get loose 11t on 10 speed .

sorry Ne.

Exactly this, for me anyway, changed it with the correct lock ring but just could not get on with that jump when shifting up or down ... Tossed it and just lived with the 12, haven't been left behind by my normal ride partners yet

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Of course you can! the 11T is seperate (for SRAM cassettes anyway, not sure about Shimano 105)

OP, you can replace the 12T with the 11T, but you will really struggle to find an 11T sprocket to buy.

This is what I meant.  CoolHeat don't bring them in, so without resorting to an international purchase the OP won't be able to do it. 

What are you using the 11 for?? When in the 11 the chain is so far to the left you are losing efficiency, rather go to a 54 in the front then keep it in the 13 or 14 at the back. Straighter chain line is far better.

or just learn to pedal faster in the 11

What are you using the 11 for?? When in the 11 the chain is so far to the left you are losing efficiency, rather go to a 54 in the front then keep it in the 13 or 14 at the back. Straighter chain line is far better.

or just learn to pedal faster in the 11

huh?

Thanks for all the advice.

I managed to get a second hand 10 speed 105 cassette and changed out the top 3 cogs and it is working perfectly.

cheers