Damocles

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Hi there, it's been a while! 

I Kind of forgot about this post but recently re-encountered it. So here's an update:

I Did buy the Titan Switch, and I've done about a 1500 on it now. It's fantastic bike and I don't really see why other Gravel bikes with similar components go for 10k more. 

The 105 Groupset works like a charm and I've never had any issues with it, even in the muddiest / rockiest terrain. I Once literally drove under-water( my upper torso stuck out above the water that was it) (through silt of unknown depth) for about 30 meters and all was well... 

The mechanical brakes aren't great, and some more modulation would be great as the tyres, being thinner than proper MBT tyres do lock up easily. 

I Also replaced the saddle with an aftermarket one. 

Otherwise the bike has served me in a stellar fashion as both a weekend warrior bike and a daily commuter (got a big ol shackle-lock to dissuade those pesky bike nabbing fairies).

My main issue with the bike ended up being a social one where I was too fast for my MBT friends and too slow for my Road Bike friends on our morning tar-road rides. 

I Kind of forgot about this post but recently re-encountered it. So here's an update:

I Did buy the Titan Switch, and I've done about a 1500 on it now. It's fantastic bike and I don't really see why other Gravel bikes with similar components go for 10k more. 

The 105 Groupset works like a charm and I've never had any issues with it, even in the muddiest / rockiest terrain. I Once literally drove under-water( my upper torso stuck out above the water that was it) (through silt of unknown depth) for about 30 meters and all was well... 

The mechanical brakes aren't great, and some more modulation would be great as the tyres, being thinner than proper MBT tyres do lock up easily. 

Otherwise the bike has served me in a stellar fashion as both a weekend warrior bike and a daily commuter (got a big ol shackle-lock to dissuade those pesky bike nabbing fairies).

My main issue with the bike ended up being a social one where I was too fast for my MBT friends and too slow for my Road Bike friends on our morning tar-road rides. 

solutions in order

more bikes

new friends

I Once literally drove under-water( my upper torso stuck out above the water that was it) (through silt of unknown depth) for about 30 meters and all was well... 

:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Exact reason why I opted for the hydraulic brakes version. 

Great bike. Did a 120k gravel event a few weekends ago, the bike worked charm. The rider needs some more experience on the rockier bits.

• 7 months later...

Just bought this bike yesterday for the up coming Cullinan2Tonteldoos ultra race. Love the aggression but I broke the seatpost clamp as I was adjusting the seat height - I think it is a 4nm and I had to replace it with my spare 8nm clamp. Other than that I am happy with the bike, I expect to gain 4-5km/h when comparing it to my MTBs.

Just bought this bike yesterday for the up coming Cullinan2Tonteldoos ultra race. Love the aggression but I broke the seatpost clamp as I was adjusting the seat height - I think it is a 4nm and I had to replace it with my spare 8nm clamp. Other than that I am happy with the bike, I expect to gain 4-5km/h when comparing it to my MTBs.

Pics!

Just bought this bike yesterday for the up coming Cullinan2Tonteldoos ultra race. Love the aggression but I broke the seatpost clamp as I was adjusting the seat height - I think it is a 4nm and I had to replace it with my spare 8nm clamp. Other than that I am happy with the bike, I expect to gain 4-5km/h when comparing it to my MTBs.

Consider replacing the brake cable housing with compressionless brake housing, it makes a big difference to the brake performance

Yup definite speed advantage. I really like the range of hand placements on a road/gravel bike vs MTB, but my body rates the comfort from a MTB's suspension and fatter rubber.

Yup definite speed advantage. I really like the range of hand placements on a road/gravel bike vs MTB, but my body rates the comfort from a MTB's suspension and fatter rubber.

100% agree that MTBs beats gravel bikes hands down on comfort but I opted for the gravel bike to avoid being asked by the sweep vehicle if I am okay or I would prefer a lift to the finish line because I am the number 1 from the back.