[Event] Amarider 50 & 100 Miler

Dirtopia MTB Events

Event Name: Amarider 50 & 100 Miler
When: 13 April 2019
Where: Malmesbury, Western Cape
Category: MTB

Is riding 100 miles off road on your bucket list?

If so, the eleventh edition of The Amarider 100Miler, presented by The Bike Hub is the perfect race to get it done. Held in Malmesbury on 13th of April, this race is the ultimate Swartland meander offering dirt road riding around the Kasteelberg and surrounds. This is event is usually in May, however due to other events clashing we have moved it forward.

What makes this the perfect 100 Mile intro?

1. It’s accessible. With the start and finish in Malmesbury you don’t have to bother with transport, and you can drive to the start in the morning.
  2. Price. Shop around, this race offers great value and your entry fee includes on-route breakfast and lunch points.
  3. Support. Apart from a large race support contingent, your supporters can assist you at 4 easy to reach Spectator points on the day. This makes it perfect for your family and friends to be part of the day and allows you to break your effort into achievable segments.
  4. Route. The route consists predominantly of flowing and fast-rolling dirt road. With 2400m of climbing over the day, it certainly is not flat but very few riders struggle to make cut-off.
  5. The cause. Proceeds of the race goes towards Amarider’s advocacy efforts and over the past years have made projects like the recent opening of new trails on Table Mountain possible.

For catering purposes and general planning only, pre-entries will be accepted for this event and entries are limited. Riders can ride as solo competitors or form 4-person (non-relay) teams and enjoy a day out with mates in the saddle. The team results will be based on the 4th rider crossing the line thereby encouraging teamwork and camaraderie.

A shorter 50 mile (80km) race option, starts at the halfway mark at Riebeeck Kasteel and ends with the 100Miler riders at the Malmesbury Showgrounds. This event provides an opportunity for riders keen to get a taste of endurance riding and experience the 2nd half of the 100 mile route option.

DATE: Saturday, 13 April 2019

TIME: 07h30 (100Miler) & 09h00 (50Miler)

DISTANCE: 160km or 80km

VENUE: Malmesbury

COST:

100Miler: R 650

50Miler: R 420

Amarider members get R50 discount on entry fee

Pre-entries are open and will close on Wednesday, 10 April 2019. No late entries will be accepted.

100 MILER INFO:

Four spectator points - go and support the riders!

Total route elevation is 2200m

50 MILER INFO:

For the not so brave there are a 50 Miler (80km) which starts at Riebeeck Kasteel (Delico Butchery) and finishes in Malmesbury (please note entries are limited and only pre-entries are taken).

There will be a shuttle from the finish to the start at Delico at 07h30 and there will be NO shuttle available in the afternoon.

You have to book & pay R180 for the shuttles and they were fully booked in all previous years. Email info@amarider.co.za to secure your spot. So please try and arrange lifts with your friends or family. It is a 25km drive from the finish to the start.

Timing:

You will need an Amarider Trail Tag to be timed for this event, you will tag in and out at various check points along the route.

The Trail Tags are available for purchase at R100 or for rent at R50. You’ll use the Tag at most Dirtopia and Amarider events, so you might as well purchase one. If you don’t have a Trail Tag you MUST purchase a temporary Trail Tag at R50 OR a permanent Trail Tag at R100 upon entering.

Amarider is a recreational trails advocacy group focused on improving trail opportunities on the African continent and proceeds of the event are channelled directly to trail projects. Amarider is focused on improving trail construction standards around the country and assist various mountain bike clubs to ensure that their trails are safe and environmentally sustainable.

Finishing the Amarider 100 Miler within the allotted 10hours 30minutes cut-off time is one of the most challenging endurance tests!

Make sure you

LIKE the Amarider 100 Miler page on Facebook to stay updated with all information.

For further information email info@amarider.co.za or entries@dirtpass.co.za or contact 021 884 4547 or 021 884 4752 otherwise see the website: www.amarider100miler.co.za or www.dirtopia.co.za

Go to Event Page

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swapped shifts at work to be off

So going to ride my first 100 miler...... [emoji848]

Edited by Twaatie

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have a routemap of this, or even better a strava profile?

I'm certainly not capable of finishing the 100 but I'd like to give the 50 a bash, so I'd like to know what I am letting myself in for in terms of route and general conditions

Does anyone have a routemap of this, or even better a strava profile?

I'm certainly not capable of finishing the 100 but I'd like to give the 50 a bash, so I'd like to know what I am letting myself in for in terms of route and general conditions

This was my 50miler ride last year:  https://www.strava.com/activities/1581603027  It is just gravel travel, so no technical sections to speak of and no single track. Fun ride all around and the gees was quite lekker

Hi...I did the 50 Miler last year and I'm signed up for the 100 Miler this year. This will be my first 100 Miler, so going for the finish and anything else is a bonus! 

How much tougher is the 100 vs the 50?

Also - would you run MTB tyres or CycloCross/Gravel 35mm tyres on the MTB for the 100?

Haven't done this race in a few years. Does the route still leave the gravel road and go over the koppie with the jeep track?

Yes... but thats in the first half as I recall. The only part that's tough on a gravel bike.

Haven't done this race in a few years. Does the route still leave the gravel road and go over the koppie with the jeep track?

Yes... but thats in the first half as I recall. The only part that's tough on a gravel bike.

Tough because of gravel bike or tyres? Anything resembling those conditions on the Tygerberg MTB trails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough because of gravel bike or tyres? Anything resembling those conditions on the Tygerberg MTB trails?

did it last year,  Can't remember anything tough .. long country roads for ages , few lazy climbs. Sure you can do it on road bike if you brave enough.

Most top guys do it on gravel bike .. its just the corrugation that is issue.  (I might also just be dilutional) 

Route sounds the same as last year, here strava route:  https://www.strava.com/routes/17518548

Edited by Karman de Lange

Well I was on my dual suspension MTB and wished I wasn't.

The section in question is a rocky and steep climb up a jeeptrack and then a rocky and short jeeptrack descent. Nothng like Tygerberg at all -- if there's a comparison point I'd say the climb is a little like dorstberg at meerendal, maybe not quite as steep and the descent similar but a lot shorter.

This from memory and we all know that we have no memory for pain otherwise women would stop having children and maybe we would stop climbing insane hills on bikes.

As Karman says - lots of long country roads but there are a few big climbs in the second half. Great ride and I'm looking forward to it immensely.

Last year's winner was on a gravel bike.

Suddenly I've appointed myself Amarider 100miler expert -- I've done one - slowly - and my crank came off 6 times in the last 60km. 

You won't need big knobbly tyres - I had on some Bontrager XR1 I think - their faster rolling cross country mtb tyre is how they bill it.

Hi...I did the 50 Miler last year and I'm signed up for the 100 Miler this year. This will be my first 100 Miler, so going for the finish and anything else is a bonus! 

How much tougher is the 100 vs the 50?

Also - would you run MTB tyres or CycloCross/Gravel 35mm tyres on the MTB for the 100?

Going for no 5 this year, will need to start training my back (not back side but lower back) for those never ending corrugated roads :huh:

Well I was on my dual suspension MTB and wished I wasn't.

My 26” Trance is the only bike I own [emoji848]

It will be exactly as I rode the Argus.

Edited by Sbloomer

Suddenly I've appointed myself Amarider 100miler expert -- I've done one - slowly - and my crank came off 6 times in the last 60km.

You won't need big knobbly tyres - I had on some Bontrager XR1 I think - their faster rolling cross country mtb tyre is how they bill it.

Also on the XR1 and won't be buying them again once they are done. Very fast but at the cost of grip when things get even slightly tricky. Perhaps I just can't corner..

Probably ideal for this race if you are on a dual-sus 29er! I will be.