MTB Chains: To De-grease or Not-to-Degrease

love2fly

All true. But wax - at least theoretically - gives one the lowest friction co-coefficient. Reading this thread and the one drop comments, I wonder if I have simply been too liberal with Squirt in the past. The comment about oil pumping in and out between pin and roller is correct - but does that not also cause it to suck dirt in? Anyway, I'd rather replace my chain occasionally than deal with a very mucky motor oil chain all the time. Personal choice only.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading this many years ago. I use engine oil on my chains. The theory is sound. Wax just falls off and clogs the jockey wheels.

Of course there will be counter arguments but a liquid that flows can get to places a sticky wax can't.

New leftover oil from an engine oil service is what I use. I jetwash the chain and drivetrain at most after 2 rides. Even after a dusty mtb ride, the chain has lube on the inside.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

100% Best method. Engine oil is beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into this a while ago.

Squirt say to thoroughly degrease the chain before use to strip all the shop lube off it and then apply Squirt.  You can even buy chains that have had this done already.  I'm not sure this is good advice.

Smoove also say to degrease regularly with strong degreaser.  Also not sure if this is right.

Of the chain manufactures KMC say don't degrease ever, as it weakens the chain.

So much contradiction.

I prefer Squirt, as it's clean, but have concluded that degreasing is not ideal. Leave the shop grease, lube with Squirt, brush/wipe, relube etc. Occasionally wipe with a rag damp with Namgear Charlie.  Occasionally pour hot water on it to melt the wax, and the pulley build-up and wipe with a cloth. You can also scrape the build-up,off with a small allen key, it's not really a problem. 

I haven't a clue really.

All true. But wax - at least theoretically - gives one the lowest friction co-coefficient. Reading this thread and the one drop comments, I wonder if I have simply been too liberal with Squirt in the past. The comment about oil pumping in and out between pin and roller is correct - but does that not also cause it to suck dirt in? Anyway, I'd rather replace my chain occasionally than deal with a very mucky motor oil chain all the time. Personal choice only.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think too many riders look for that silver bullet - a lube that you never have to clean your chain - Tho bottom line is al these dry lubes and waxes have aboslutly no lubrication capacity, you only achieve this with hydrocarbon oil. 

Bottom line, lube with oil and clean your drive train properly when it gets dirty.

Remove the chain

Remove the cassette

Remove the jocky pulleys

Clean in re-install

Repeat

100% Best method. Engine oil is beast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine oil mixed with some chainsaw bar oil to help reduce fling off, works great and way less than the typical R1000/Litre lbs charge for "mtb specific" chain oil..

I think too many riders look for that silver bullet - a lube that you never have to clean your chain - Tho bottom line is al these dry lubes and waxes have aboslutly no lubrication capacity, you only achieve this with hydrocarbon oil. 

Bottom line, lube with oil and clean your drive train properly when it gets dirty.

Remove the chain

Remove the cassette

Remove the jocky pulleys

Clean in re-install

Repeat

Ah,sense at last.

If you  do not look after your chain properly, expect to get 3000kms/chain.  

Engine oil mixed with some chainsaw bar oil to help reduce fling off, works great and way less than the typical R1000/Litre lbs charge for "mtb specific" chain oil..

what about baard olie.... :ph34r:

After reading this many years ago. I use engine oil on my chains. The theory is sound. Wax just falls off and clogs the jockey wheels.

Of course there will be counter arguments but a liquid that flows can get to places a sticky wax can't.

New leftover oil from an engine oil service is what I use. I jetwash the chain and drivetrain at most after 2 rides. Even after a dusty mtb ride, the chain has lube on the inside.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Not that I would use old engine oil, but that the theory of oil vs wax holds true. Oil flows, wax gets displaced. Hence why Squirt doesn't last as long, in my experience, as 'oily' lubes.

I too believed that wax gets displaced and you need to use an "oil" type lube. I have tried a couple of the "oil" type lubes but met with zero success. Lots of dirt picked up despite wiping down.

It seems there is a trade off when you go for a viscous oil you pic up dust and it doesn't seem to penetrate (gets wiped away).

Have just switched to Juice Lubes Ceramic and working better than anything else I have tried.....

What do the pros use ?

Granted they may be less worried about longevity than most of us ....

What do the pros use ?

Granted they may be less worried about longevity than most of us ....

I doubt they know, only the mechanic does

I doubt they know, only the mechanic does

Now if only we could find out what their machanics use .....  :whistling:

Let's make no mistake bout this .... "best" is a VERY relative term ....

best for frictional losses ...

best for anti-corrosion ...

best for not attracting dust ...

best for not throwing oil onto the rider .... (okay, yes, I remember the days of chain oil on my school clothes ...)

best for actually protecting and lubing "inside" the chain ....

the item that is best for most of these, MAY possibly require more cleaning and more maintenance .... maybe not ....

would be interesting to hear from the pros .... or from their mechanics ....