Watering points on races

Bateleur1

I don't normally use the waterpoints at races, but would use them more if they dish out sachets at water points.  The amashova had only one water point where they handed out sachets with just water in it.  Unfortuantly I was on the wrong side of the bunch and could not make use of it.  Why could they not have had water at the other points.  All the other points had enegade in cups.  Can't grap a cup while riding, but the sachets is easy to grap while passing.  Sometimes you just get gatvol of your energy drink and water would be a nice alternative.

The rest of the race was wonderful.  The Shova rates as one of my favourates.

Normally I am alright with two bottles of energy drink, but every now and then the water is a nice alternative.

Big%20smile

I agree to water being an alternative...a prefer these small water sache's to cups of whatever they serving on the day...Also on these races we sometimes take up road space...why don't they always have people handing out stuff on both sides of the road..as in the case with Bateleur being on the wrong side of the road.....??

"DTThumbs%20Up"

The reason is simply because the rules is you get off your bike to use the water tables.  By having people on both sides, they are asking for trouble particularly in the later starting batches.

I saw an ad ones for an overhead water sachet dispencer, or OWSD for short. It looks like one of those 4 arm swiveling washing lines. Obviously higher as ridres need to get in underneath them. The sachets are then hung down from each arm as as soon as the arm is empty. it is swung around and the next arm full of  sachets are available while the empty one is re-stocked. The arms covers almost the complete lane.

The sachet thing worked well at the R4V, although one of my bottles contains water its warm by the latter parts of a race. I usually grab it take a few sips and pour the rest on my head.

I think its a littering issue with sachets.People don't always drink it straight away and litter in places where they do not plan to clean up.After Comrades you see these sachets for months on the road

Two tabel on opposite sides of the road will be a disaster . I never stop at these tables and will not feel safe going through there at high speed .

I think its a littering issue with sachets.People don't always drink it straight away and litter in places where they do not plan to clean up.After Comrades you see these sachets for months on the road

That is a downside. Some riders take a couple and discard them far from the water point's.

sachets are also more expensive than cups.on a different point,the water points were amazing,and plenty at the seweweekspoort race this weekend.well done guys.

..........and please,please move away from using cups.............

We can barely grab a cup let alone drink the 1 teaspoon of fluid left after all spilled out

Dont mean to sound like an old man but the big thing is safety. The H20 marshals are supposed to make you stop and take it water and not do it while flying past them. That is also why they are like at the ACT, off the road edge - I am sure we have all seen the village idiot flying past, grabbling a satchet and then having a huge wobble. To make it worse - now imagine you next to him while he has the wobble.Ouch