[Event] Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB

Shaun Peters

Event Name: Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB
When: 31 August 2019
Where: Hopefield Sports Ground, Western Cape
Category: MTB

The jewel of the West Coast returns 31 August 2019! The Thys Du Toit Memorial Hopefield MTB Challenge has now become a yearly favourite. This year we celebrate seven years on the race calendar and the second year of being part of the Western Province Mountain Biking Commission WC XCM Champs.

This year we have added an additional route for folks who would like to ride a non-technical flowing route while taking in the beautiful West Coast Flowers, aptly named the "The Flower Power Ride".

90km MTB 08H00am
58km MTB 08H10am
31km MTB 08H20am

22km MTB 08H30am

45km MTB Flower Power Ride (No Technical) Time TBA

Our entries open 1 June 2019!!

Go to Event Page

Edited by Shaun Peters

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

What is the sand like on these routes?

Latest FB details are different to above.

Start Time:
90km: 08:00
58km: 08:30
48km: 08:45
35km: 09:00
25km: 09:05

will a gravel bike/hard-tail mtb be best suited for the 90km route? 

It's not a terribly technical route from what I hear so your hardtail should be ideal.

Gravel bike is a no no, its a CSA and WPcycling MTB Commission sanctioned event.

It's not a terribly technical route from what I hear so your hardtail should be ideal.

Gravel bike is a no no, its a CSA and WPcycling MTB Commission sanctioned event.

thanks for the feedback. I was just trying to determine if I should take the DS or the hardtail.

What is the sand like on these routes?

Latest FB details are different to above.

Start Time:

90km: 08:00

58km: 08:30

48km: 08:45

35km: 09:00

25km: 09:05

Rode the 90km a week or so ago and for the most part the sand is a none issue, some random spots on the farm roads but for the most it is just your normal top layer to hard-pack. 

There is a new additional bit in the beginning that will bypass that crappy sandy section you got before crossing the train tracks.  So besides that it is the single track in the beginning, fast farm roads, those rugged contour lines through the farmland, open fast farm roads again, final single track and then the dash to the Finish line