Steel frame advice

Hi Hubbers

I been looking at building up a 29er steely for the local trails. I have come across a Niner MCR9 frame. Want to know your opinions on this frame? Does anyone know if I can run a tapered fork? Whats the geometry like for trail riding/ climbing?

Thanks 

post-74163-0-84466100-1551724302_thumb.jpg

Those Niners made with Reynolds 853 tubing are fantastic!

I've owned, ridden and loved more than a few :-)

Theyre designed for straight forks but an external bearing adaptor for the bottom will allow a tapered fork (but slacken the head angle around 1 degree.

Edited by Eldron

Thanks guys

And to throw a curve ball what about a rigid fork, drop bars and some long gears as a comfortable road/gravel bike?

Do it. That thin gauge 853 tubing is nice and forgiving.

Thanks guys

And to throw a curve ball what about a rigid fork, drop bars and some long gears as a comfortable road/gravel bike?

What about converting it to a belt drive.... there are a few posted on the hub and the frame conversions are done by a hubber...

What about converting it to a belt drive.... there are a few posted on the hub and the frame conversions are done by a hubber...

Cutting up a perfectly functional frame makes my heart sore!

Cutting up a perfectly functional frame makes my heart sore!

It's not cutting it up - just some re-engineering of the frame.... you can hardly see the bolted joint after repainting.

is a belt drive really worth it in the long run .... and if I recall correctly they then also introduce friction into the system vs what a conventional chain system would...... if memory serves, the Sherifffff once outlines his experience with the two drive trains and noted the chain system to "feel" more efficient and smooth.

Thanks guys

That is what I have done with my chromo Contraband frame. 

Best bike I have ever owned. I will only swap the frame out for a reynolds when I see one in the classifieds 

is a belt drive really worth it in the long run .... and if I recall correctly they then also introduce friction into the system vs what a conventional chain system would...... if memory serves, the Sherifffff once outlines his experience with the two drive trains and noted the chain system to "feel" more efficient and smooth.

I don't know - I do know he still rides the belt drive....  Dips also loved his belt drive Niner.

I'm not 100% sure you can run a tapered fork on there even with an external bearing.

I'm pretty (but not certain) sure the MCR was stopped before a 44mm head tupe was introduced.

IMHO if you're going to go the 29er to gravel route, get a 26er (440mm) rigid fork. It pulls the Geo more in line and stops the bike from looking tall.

It's not cutting it up - just some re-engineering of the frame.... you can hardly see the bolted joint after repainting.

Visually it was fine but I hated bending open the frame to get the belt through - 853 is pretty thin.

Sure it was cool project but it seemed completely unnecessary given that there are a number of steel frames available that are designed to work with belt systems.