Meet Skorsie – Momsen ST-R build (March 2019)

Hi guys!

I'm very excited, and proud, to introduce Skorsie to you.

A few weeks ago I realised that my 2008 Merida 26er was getting long in the tooth, and that I needed something fresh and interesting. Buying a brand new bike that was specced according to my needs (read "wants") was out of the question, as I'm a junior in the advertising industry, and the pay cheque wasn't going to stretch that far. Building Skorsie not only made the whole excursion affordable, but also taught me a great deal about bicycles.

The most valuable part was the people I met along the way (I will name them shortly). These guys gave me great deals on mint condition pre-owned stuff, they gave me priceless advice, as well as physical technical help.

Thank you to:

Renier Hugo for the great deals on the wheels and brakes, as well as your advice and enthusiasm;

Wicus (Me rida my bicycle) for the great deal on the fork, and being a great seller;

Iwan Kemp for letting me ride your beautiful ST-F (yes, the one with the one-of-a-kind paint job!) as well as all your advice and links to nice things;

a very special thank you to Kobus van der Poel (kvdp) from Darling Fietsgoeters who helped me build the bike, reply to my 70 000 Whatsapps, who gave me mountains of advice, and who helped me every step of the way with literally everything, while also having to plan and map the routes for DBX! :eek:

Janos Plekker from Evo Bikes for sorting me out with odd bits, and

the guys from Recycles who did a few final tweaks.

Below is a complete list of components for interest sake:

Frame: 2018 Momsen ST-R (XL)

Fork: 2017 RockShox Recon 100mm

Wheels: ALEX MD21 on American Classic hubs

Tyres: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35 (F) Maxxis Icon 2.20 ®

Rotors: Avid 160mm

Brakes: Shimano BR-M315

Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT Hollowtech

Gruppo: Full Shimano SLX 1x11 (32T F & 11-42 R)

Chain: KMC Black/Silver

Pedals: Shimano XC SPD

Handlebars: Momsen Alloy 720 mm x 31.8mm

Stem: Momsen Alloy 70mm

Seatpost: Momsen Alloy

Saddle: Momsen

Grips: ESI Chunky Silicone

Bottle Cages: Ryder Big Mouth

----------

Feast your eyes on the pictures below!

Jakes :)

post-142207-0-07297100-1551730722_thumb.jpgpost-142207-0-12209000-1551730592_thumb.jpg

Edited by JakesZA

Nice one! The ST-R frame has recently piqued my interest and that's its best colorway coincidentally.

You know you're going to need to post stem length and handlebar width for the #geonerds right?

Nice one! The ST-R frame has recently piqued my interest and that's its best colorway coincidentally.

You know you're going to need to post stem length and handlebar width for the #geonerds right?

That is my bad! I shall amend my post for the #geonerds!  :P

That is my bad! I shall amend my post for the #geonerds!  :P

720mm bar on a 70mm stem (I might go a bit shorter on the stem in the future)

finally a decent pic of an XL frame...thanks Jakes.

(edit: answered my own question by reading your other thread re 1x11)

cool bike...i think i might be sold on one

Edited by morneS555

Awesome build!! Can you change that 100mm to 120mm on the 2017 recon just by removing the spacer?