Lever driven road bike

Chris NewbyFraser

Cool design to see, seriously! There's some big claims made that I don't see verified just yet and the cost of a damaged lever will far outweigh the cost of a damaged chain, surely!

However the joint pain claims and comparisons... come one, is this a verimark commercial selling sticky gloves because people drop glasses once every few years?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The History of Nubike

When Rodger Parker saw riders struggling with greasy chains to fix a flat, he thought there has to be a better way. When he saw riders walking out of the hills with broken chains and clothing destroyed by chains, again he thought, there has to be a better way. When his wife ended up with a knee problem likely caused from years of extensive riding, he knew there had to be a better way.  Rodger found it hard to believe that in the 150-year history of the bicycle, no one solved these problems. So, he thought…let’s fix it!

Gates-Belt-Drive-Amsterdam-Upgrade-kitt.

Facile. Let's see the cassette and derailleur. 

From an engineering perspective, i think its a fantastic development, it pushes the boundaries of bicycle design and probably the best ive seen from all the other inventions over the years. I suppose you'll get the pessimists and the haters, like with E-bikes. It was probably the same when many years back the bicycle design moved from Penny Fathering direct drive on front wheel to chain driven on the back wheel - to quick release - to gearing - to cleats etc etc. All these inventions moved cycling forward to where it is today.

If these were available i'd buy one in a heart beat

Given that this is basically a step machine on wheels, i can go with his claim regarding dirty chains etc. Joint pain, unsure about that side of the benefits. Innovation, definitely supporting him on that claim, but the technological claims and gravity pedaling for you are snake oil.

I would really like to see how a pro rider efficiency and speed improve on this bike.

Awesome design, imagine how low the maintenance would be, no more cleaning bloody chains and noticing oh sht my drivetrain is worn out, better budget for a nice healthy R3k on the chin.

Pity the stroke action reminds me of one of the Verimark Fitness flyer health stepper or whatever they currently call the junk they sell... the weekend arrives.. hey bro should we take a ride down Sea Point on the fitness flyer, or let's go smash Tokai on the health stepper??

Edited by Skylark

http://mobsea.com/appimg/Crazy-Bike-Designs/23.jpg

http://mobsea.com/appimg/Crazy-Bike-Designs/46.jpg

At the end of the day the market and big business decides... Sure this may be better engineering, more efficient but unless the big bike companies jump on board I doubt it will go anywhere... (also you do look a bit like an idiot on one of these and most cyclists dont want to look like idiots)

think Blue-ray vs HD DVD or rotary vs piston engines... sometimes the "better engineered" doesnt always win... maybe not the best examples but this lever technology is probably been patented by this american bloke and I doubt wether Shimano or Sram who probably cover about 95% of bicycle drivetrains and own a plethora of their own patents are going to start switching over to lever and paying royalties.

No questions as to which is better. 

WTF

Gravity on the downstroke make for free riding

Longer cranks means more power, more free energy

Seriously.......?

Sorry this tjop is a lousy engineer 

It is almost physically impossible that an engineer was involved with the making of that video, there is so much wrong with it, it should be banned from youtube.

Guys - has anyone actually paid attention to this video? I have seen it doing the rounds on Whatsapp groups as well...

This video is about 15 years old (at least) look at the brake levers, calipers and wheels on this "new fancy fandagled" bike...they are OLD 9speed 105 which was phased out back in 2005 (or earlier)...the spinergy wheels used were banned by the UCI back in 1996 (thereabouts) 

But hey keep on believing....

It is almost physically impossible that an engineer was involved with the making of that video, there is so much wrong with it, it should be banned from youtube.

If you saw the markups I've been making all morning, you'd think it had a whole team of engineer's responsible for that video :ph34r: 

quickly glancing over the nubike website and the about us page didn't reveal any dates to the video, only something about 1976 or so. If the person's design is still the same from back then... ja

WTF

Gravity on the downstroke make for free riding

Longer cranks means more power, more free energy

Seriously.......?

Sorry this tjop is a lousy engineer 

The engineer in me cringed from start to finish.

Is it magic pixie dust that lifts his legs back from the bottom of the lever stroke to the top?

Further with less effort?

More power requires less gears?

Gravity allowes Nubike to pedal itself - woohoo perpetual motion - he has just solved the world's energy crisis.

Nubike handles knee pain for you?

Aaaaah he studies film and video in college - it all makes sense now....

All of that said - it is an interesting engineering oddity!

Guys - has anyone actually paid attention to this video? I have seen it doing the rounds on Whatsapp groups as well...

This video is about 15 years old (at least) look at the brake levers, calipers and wheels on this "new fancy fandagled" bike...they are OLD 9speed 105 which was phased out back in 2005 (or earlier)...the spinergy wheels used were banned by the UCI back in 1996 (thereabouts) 

But hey keep on believing....

Yup good old Spinergy wheels. 

It is still a fun video though.

Edited by Eldron

There is a reason that bicycle design hasn't really changed much in the past few decades: Its actually a pretty good design. It might have a few flaws, but clearly not enough to render it obsolete.

This lever thing will end up in the same place as these abominations: Cruising the promenades of Florida

maxresdefault.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nN1epv1uAqk/UHmlvr2e-XI/AAAAAAAAFJE/guPcBw2oBqM/s1600/flitz.jpg

573f14c88a4565973c6a3437-523-392.jpg

Edited by splat