Port Shepstone Road Cycling

Pieter78

I'm in Port Shepstone area next weekend and need to do a long ride for Ironman training. So +-5 hours/160kms. Obviously road bike. How safe is the R102/R620 from Port Shepstone down to port Edward and back? And then possibly up towards Scottburgh again and back to make up the distance? Any other recommendations?

There are a few guys who ride from Shelly Beach area to Hibberdene and back early on a Friday morning.

I'm not keen to ride from Sheppie down to Port Edward due to careless drivers. That said, some do actually ride it. Try to ride with at least one other person if you decide to ride down to Port Edward.

Riding to Scottburgh not really an option due to the fact that you can't ride on the N2 and the ''old'' road is just too dangerous. Traffic(taxis) and going through some areas where the odd dude might just cause you harm.

Get in touch with Dura-Cycles(Sia) and the Giant shop at Shelly Beach.

They will hook you up with the right people.

I've ridden the N2 from Port Shepstone to Port Edward and back on the R620.  Not a problem but that was a couple of years ago and not at peak times.  The N2 is fast because the road levels out the hills and valleys.

I'm in Port Shepstone area next weekend and need to do a long ride for Ironman training. So +-5 hours/160kms. Obviously road bike. How safe is the R102/R620 from Port Shepstone down to port Edward and back? And then possibly up towards Scottburgh again and back to make up the distance? Any other recommendations?

Take the R620 South and only jump on to the R61 from Southbroom. If you need some extra distance I would carry on to the Wild Coast, or if you have a riding buddy do a loop back going up the Izingolweni Road. I wouldn't recommend the section from Sheppie to Hiberdene.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I've ridden the N2 from Port Shepstone to Port Edward and back on the R620.  Not a problem but that was a couple of years ago and not at peak times.  The N2 is fast because the road levels out the hills and valleys.

Awesome, thanks Dave - so one can actually cycle on the N2? Assumed it would be off limits to cyclists.?

Awesome, thanks Dave - so one can actually cycle on the N2? Assumed it would be off limits to cyclists.?

The road from Sheppie south to Port Edward is the R61 - the N2 branches inland from Sheppie toward Kokstad. I'd stay off the N2 north of Sheppie. The roads are fine to ride early in the morning before the traffic gets busy. The toll road is great training but once it's busy the traffic is fast. The old coastal road is better in my opinion as although its busy the traffic is a bit slower. Give us a shout at Giant South Coast when you're down here if you like.