Looking for help to replace a commuter's bike, which got stolen

i24

I am trying to help someone. They guy is a gardener who works for my sister in-law, and others. His bicycle, which has just been stolen, was his primary means for getting to work. I placed an add in the classifieds:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/351543-wanted-bicycle-for-a-commuter/

But I am not sure if those who might be able to help will see it. So I am double posting here. (Admins if this is wrong, let me know and/or take this down.)

Some background:

- The gardener lives and works in the East Rand, Gauteng, so we need the bike to be there.

- I live in the Western Cape, so I cannot help with things like transport or checking the bike out.

- The cyclist is quite short, so we looking for a small or medium frame.

- A hard tail MTB, hybrid or commuter should suite him. Otherwise 26", V-brakes, ridged fork will work. (The stolen bike was an old road bike, which my brother in-law donated to him a few years ago.)

- We will need help with servicing the bike, transport etc.

We can help sponsor some costs but if some of the above can be donated, it would be nice. Plan "B" is to get him something like this:

https://www.makro.co.za/makstorefront/makro/en/sports-outdoor-travel/sports/bicycles/bicycle/raleigh-alpine-mens-mtb-26-/p/000000000000357318_EA

But maybe we can find something 2nd hand on the hub that will suite him better. Please reply to this thread, the advert or PM me if you can help. Thanks!

Hi i24, I live near the East Rand (you could say Germiston/Alberton) and am willing to assist with any local transporting or even basic servicing like headset grease providing the bike doesn't require proprietary tools like a lefty headset. Feel free to pm if the need arises and good luck finding what is needed!

Edited by Dirkitech

I've got an old steel MTB frame I'm happy to donate. In Rosebank JHB area. If there's any interest I can take pics and send more details on the frame?

Thanks for suggestions and offers so far. I have followed up on some, but I am still looking for a complete bike that can be made serviceable relatively easily.

Thanks

There are a few small 26ers for sale in the classifieds.

I am prepared to contribute towards buying one for your guy.

Edited by I FLY

Thanks all. 

There are a few small 26ers for sale in the classifieds.

I am prepared to contribute towards buying one for your guy.

I have seen the add and I am talking to the seller. We already have a budget sponsored to cover the major obvious costs. But thanks for the offer, I will let you know if we have a shortfall.

Thanks!

An update, there has been some progress...

After checking out a few options, I contacted this seller: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/344039-two-x-giant-mtb-small/

The bikes seemed suitable for purpose and she offered a small discount.

So I EFT's some cash to Dirkitech and he went and checked out and bought one of the bikes today. He as also checked out adjusted brakes, put slime in the tyres etc. Thanks Dirkitech!

I also got a lock, pump and puncture repair kit to go with the bike. 

The plan is halfway done. Next we need to get it delivered. I hope to post a progress update in a few days.

• 2 weeks later...

Bicycle Delivered! I love it when a plan comes together. :clap:

Thanks to Dirkitech for doing all of the running around!

It was handed over on Saturday morning, but load shedding delayed the posting of this news. Also I have not managed to get a photo yet, maybe Dirkitech can upload one. I never saw the bike, but I am told that it is quite nice.