Ticking/Creaky Sram Eagle 12 Sp Cassette

love2fly

My Eagle GX 12 sp cassette started making a ticking noise in the middle few cogs a few weeks ago and after W2W.

At least 1 LBS seemed to think around 4,000km on a cassette is about what you should expect, however due to stubbornness and limited budget I tried a few things. Edit - Overseas there are guys getting in excess of 12,000km!

Correctly set 'B' adjust screw which the shop did NOT properly set when I bought the bike 2 years ago.

Removed cassette, cleaned freehub and cassette and greased splines and refitted. Still no fix.

If you search international forums there are many riders who have this issue, some are solved by warranty. Some say that the rivets holding the cogs together work their way slightly loose.

So as a last resort, despite already having had the cassette off and greasing the splines, I thought I would have another go...

I did as before ie took off the cassette, thoroughly scrubbed it, then after a suggestion from a fellow hubber who had bearing issues on his freehub, I took off the freehub, sprayed around the pawl spaces and the pawls themselves with carb cleaner and then properly greased and reassembled.

Additionally, the first time I may not have greased the thread that the cassette lock ring threads onto so also greased that.

Reassembled and tried out my new Juice Lubes Ceramic chain lube and presto!

One of those rare moments where the problem is completely solved!

Edited by love2fly

Good to know, thanks.

I have the Eagle NX on my Camber, as I simply cannot justify the price difference for the GX10t small cog compared to a 11t NX small cog.

Anyway, I rode it yesterday for the first time on the "Argus", and every now and then it would click, and once or twice it skipped, but seems to have settled down in the second half of the race.I suspect the "B" adjust screw was not properly set. That, or it has a run-in phase?

Also, seeing as my target for 2019 is 5000 kilometers, I will not be riding this bike on anything other than trails anymore, and will now get my long distances done on my 3x10 Hardtail.

Edited to add that in the USA I have read of guys getting over 12,000km - Just need to use a "fleet" of 3 chains and change at 0,5, then go to chain 2 etc then start at 1 again.....

• 1 year later...

Cant find a relevant forum so I'm going with this one.

Hope someone might know what my problem is. My GX 12 derailleur seems to have a clicking motion every quarter turn of the pedal, looks like the chain is getting stuck or jumping on the top pully wheel causing the derailleur to jump but this only happens on the small tooth of my cassette.

its a bit better if I have the tensioner screw all the way in, but you can still feel it. Also the derailleur needs to be set on the far right limit, to the point were the chain drops. 

Unfortunately I don't have a LBS who can help.

Cant find a relevant forum so I'm going with this one.

Hope someone might know what my problem is. My GX 12 derailleur seems to have a clicking motion every quarter turn of the pedal, looks like the chain is getting stuck or jumping on the top pully wheel causing the derailleur to jump but this only happens on the small tooth of my cassette.

its a bit better if I have the tensioner screw all the way in, but you can still feel it. Also the derailleur needs to be set on the far right limit, to the point were the chain drops. 

Unfortunately I don't have a LBS who can help.

SRAM have detailed setup instructions on their website, starting with chain length.

Follow them to the letter.

• 5 weeks later...

Thank you blackheart, worked like charm.

New question, I keep hearing and feeling a grinding noise coming from my crank. Its only there when I apply power or force. It feels like the chain is grinding on the front chainring.

Anybody know what it could be?

Thank you blackheart, worked like charm.

New question, I keep hearing and feeling a grinding noise coming from my crank. Its only there when I apply power or force. It feels like the chain is grinding on the front chainring.

Anybody know what it could be?

Are you certain it's coming from the crank? Is it not 'referred' noise and vibration from elsewhere? I have found that if my chain is dry or dirty then it seems as if my whole front mech is shot, i.e. BB and crank bearings. Then I lube up and voila, sorted.

Problem I am currently having is that my rear hub sounds like it's finished. Just pushing the bike around makes it sound like a worn out bucket of jarring metal. Riding alternates between clicking, grinding and a high pitched whistling sound coming from the back...

Are you certain it's coming from the crank? Is it not 'referred' noise and vibration from elsewhere? I have found that if my chain is dry or dirty then it seems as if my whole front mech is shot, i.e. BB and crank bearings. Then I lube up and voila, sorted.

Problem I am currently having is that my rear hub sounds like it's finished. Just pushing the bike around makes it sound like a worn out bucket of jarring metal. Riding alternates between clicking, grinding and a high pitched whistling sound coming from the back...

My Trek had sounds coming from the rear mech .... NOT the drive train. Turns out the rear wheel bearing was going, going, gone ... :(

My Trek had sounds coming from the rear mech .... NOT the drive train. Turns out the rear wheel bearing was going, going, gone ... :(

Ja I took mine in to the shop yesterday. It seems I have also lost a rear bearing. I opted for the full-service which includes servicing of both front and rear hubs, brake bleed and a full clean and lube. Only bits extra will be the brake-pads and replacement bearings. I am hoping the cassette body is still ok.

So what I learnt from this is that as lekker as it is to have the Leatt Skills Park at Hoogekraal and the Kuilvoergat at Bloemendal, actually hitting those lines has some hidden costs.

Ja I took mine in to the shop yesterday. It seems I have also lost a rear bearing. I opted for the full-service which includes servicing of both front and rear hubs, brake bleed and a full clean and lube. Only bits extra will be the brake-pads and replacement bearings. I am hoping the cassette body is still ok.

So what I learnt from this is that as lekker as it is to have the Leatt Skills Park at Hoogekraal and the Kuilvoergat at Bloemendal, actually hitting those lines has some hidden costs.

Maritz was drooling over Kuilvoergat ....

Reality is he only just manages small jumps, and all too often is wigly when landing ....

So he was looking at the jumps with a big smile ....

I was looking at him and bike .... see maintenance bills and some plasters ....

Robbie is it practical to "roll over" those jumps ?

Reality is he only just manages small jumps, and all too often is wigly when landing ....

I have a group of folks who have recently started riding, and they love the bike park feel of Bloemendal. Highlights for them are Home Run and strangely the Kuilvoergat.

As for roll-ability, it is perfect for rolling. They have all watched me do some runs, and progressing to higher and further as I session that feature, and it was not long before they started rolling it, and soon enough I was hearing their whoops of joy as they claimed some 'airtime' albeit small. The pure joy on their faces is priceless.

I can vouch for the fact that if Maritz takes it easy, he should be able to breeze the Kuilvoergat. There are some kids around 10 - 12 years old who are actually doing tail whips on those jumps. Soon enough, he will be teaching you a thing or two on that line.

Having a similar problem on my bike at the moment. In the biggest 3 gears at the back it's starting to sound like i'm grinding something. On the repair stand I am hearing what sounds like bearings running rough so I guess I'm stripping down the hub and checking it out this weekend. 

Funny enough when the chain is freshly lubed the grinding sound goes away. 

Another noise was also called by the chain touching the bottom of the cage. Straightened it out and things seem quite again. 

Just the ticking left on gear 4 or 5 from the top to find and fix. 

Not impressed with this Sunrace / SLX combo to be honest. 

ChrisF.... Is Maritz ready for a real bike?

I'm about to put my Camber Grom up for sale...... Just saying. 110mm of jump landing, trail shredding squish front and rear.

(Cries after such a shameful punt)...

But seriously....  :ph34r:

Having a similar problem on my bike at the moment. In the biggest 3 gears at the back it's starting to sound like i'm grinding something. On the repair stand I am hearing what sounds like bearings running rough so I guess I'm stripping down the hub and checking it out this weekend. 

Another noise was also called by the chain touching the bottom of the cage. Straightened it out and things seem quite again. 

That grinding on the dinner plates is often a B-screw adjustment. I hope it is.

Taking things apart and putting them back together too often normally just leads to more problems

SLX may still be OK but Sunrace, no thank you not for me.  I remove & replaced it as soon as the opportunity popped up on the hub.

Edited by Theog