Broken Clavicle - Your experiences

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Feel like this is a right of passage for MTB! Plate fitted, I'm 3 weeks down and damn all I want is to hit the trails again!

Must say there are some weird muscles that pull, trying to compensate for that break.

Feel like this is a right of passage for MTB! Plate fitted, I'm 3 weeks down and damn all I want is to hit the trails again!

Must say there are some weird muscles that pull, trying to compensate for that break.

Go get to checked out soon.

I left mine, and I am still paying for it.

I'm back on the bike, but haven't built up the courage to go off-road yet. I'm judging it by trying to pop a wheelie. If I can do three wheelies in a row without my shoulder muscles hurting I'll venture off road again.

My actual bone is 100s, no issues whatsover, but I'm getting a lot of snapping when moving my shoulder. There's no obvious change in movement within the joint or my arm, some minor weakness, but the sound is distressing me.

Thinking I should probably head to the physio...

Go get to checked out soon.

I left mine, and I am still paying for it.

I can track most of the weird muscle pulls to me just compensating or holding the weight of my arm up as if in a sling. I'll be sure to go see a physio once everything has mended and doc says I can have full range of motion.

I liked your post simply to show empathy, not because I like what happened. That is a  really shitty position to be in. I hope all goes smoothly from here on and that you recover well.

Edited by DJR

As for myself, I am now 10 wks + post op to have the skapula repaired and although all is well, I am very far from back to normal. My orthopod recommended leaving all the hardware in permanently. After the clavicle repair a few years ago he said to remove it if I wanted. This time he said leave that in as well as the new additions. Still much physio ahead to get strength and flexibility in that arm back, but it improves all the time. It's just that the beautiful young physio I started with has now morphed into an ugly sadistic monster (just kidding). The idt is all I can manage for now! And collecting parts for a bike build.

Broken 3 collarbones, 2 plated:

1st(left) from motorcycle crash along with scapula and 5 ribs, broke on a Sunday Plate installed on Tuesday, driving again on Thursday, no way i would have managed without the plate

2nd was LH side again after a little lowside liedown at Kyalami, broke under plate across screw hole, no surgery needed as plate created a ledge for the bone to allign against took at least 2 weeks before i could even drive again and 6 weeks before i rode again!

3d was RH side after massive OTB at Fast One road race, had left side plate removed at the same time. Right hand plate still in and irritates me with seatbelts, rucksacks, kids climbing on shoulders etc. Will have it removed at next repair job but as mentioned by others the bone must be allowed to strengthen after removal.

Would i do a plate again.....without hesitation, as you will be mobile again quickly even if you can`t train to full capacity.

• 2 months later...

I broke my right hand side clavicle and a little finger greeting the tar @ almost 70km/h, second week and my left hand writing is improving, typing this with my left hand is a mission, lets hope I can start driving next week, Zwift it is for the next few weeks.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I joined the club after a silly fall on the side of Lynnwood last week. Day 7 after operation and I am itching to move. My main concern: sweating. I still have the original dressing on, but it irritates my skin so much I think I am going to remove it. Dr advised not to sweat while having the plaster on: does this mean I can do something non-shoulder when it is off? Like brisk walking/IDT with the sling?

Hi all, I joined the club after a silly fall on the side of Lynnwood last week. Day 7 after operation and I am itching to move. My main concern: sweating. I still have the original dressing on, but it irritates my skin so much I think I am going to remove it. Dr advised not to sweat while having the plaster on: does this mean I can do something non-shoulder when it is off? Like brisk walking/IDT with the sling?

I am not a doctor, so don't listen to me, but I was on the trainer sweating a few days after the op.

1 view - with nor real racing on the cards, enjoy the rest and start to ride when comfortable again. nothing like a few weeks off with a valid excuse.

Otherwise, as soon as comfortable, ride on indoor with a sling. If you really have to get on bike. Nothing wrong with walking.

Wait a while before resting hand on bars without sling. 

Just not very comfortable riding idt with 1 hand.

Been there, got the t-shirt

When you do get on the idt, don’t be surprised at how hard it’s going to feel . Riding with the sling is uncomfortable anyway , but after both my surgeries, was toast on the trainer in no time with rubbishy low numbers . Remember thinking how on earth do some crash , break , plate and then race within days .

Hang in there, takes a while

Re your original question , check with surgeon before you do, there’s lots of critical wound healing going on . Don’t want to disturb that .

I am not a doctor, so don't listen to me, but I was on the trainer sweating a few days after the op.

I am a doctor and worked and rode my bike within four days. After five days the skin wound should be sealed and you can leave it open .If you can stand a bit of pain you can function really soon ,but late it the day your shoulder will not be happy and sleeping is difficult .Do half what you normally do until things are comfortable again .I rode on quiet tar roads just to not loose fitness .MTBing is a bad idea 

Edited by eala893@gmail.com

A week to 10 days no training not going to be a big impact on your fitness levels. my experiences (4 broken clavicles/ribs/back op).......................listen to the doc, allow your body to heal. Last thing you want now is a set-back (for whatever reason).................then you out for longer than initially would have been. Chill for 10 days or so....................then resume slowly.......................you will be surprised how quick you will get back to routine.......................just my 5 cents worth.................

A week to 10 days no training not going to be a big impact on your fitness levels. my experiences (4 broken clavicles/ribs/back op).......................listen to the doc, allow your body to heal. Last thing you want now is a set-back (for whatever reason).................then you out for longer than initially would have been. Chill for 10 days or so....................then resume slowly.......................you will be surprised how quick you will get back to routine.......................just my 5 cents worth.................

I agree.

I broke mine and had plate inserted in December.

Took about 10 days off the bike and then started slowly on IDT while arm was still in sling and water proof wound dressing still on... gradually build it up.

After about 3 months I was riding outside and found that I have hardly lost any fitness ( Wahoo Kickr is one of the best "investments" I ever made ).