Does doping exist in SA?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are actually the ones that can afford proper gear. 30-50 year old plus competitive, successful execs....

For sure the point I was trying to make was that they'd probably use anything to be faster.

Plenty middle-aged try hard wannabe pros dope as well... many have been caught but nothing is reported because they don't win races.

Some people are not shy

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/usada-busts-masters-racer-for-10-banned-drugs/

“USADA busts masters racer for 10 banned drugs”

“Vahe Aivazian, a 52-year-old masters racer from California, has accepted a four-year ban for possession and use and/or attempted use of 10 different prohibited substances including anabolic steroids and growth hormones. US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) announced Thursday that Aivazian’s four-year period of ineligibility began on April 7, 2021”

“Aivazian, who races mainly downhill and Enduro mountain bike events, initially contested his case through an arbitration process but later elected to sign an acceptance of sanction form on the day before the arbitration hearing in his case was to begin.

“His results obtained on and subsequent to June 16, 2010, which is the date on which he first used prohibited substances, have been disqualified, including forfeiture of any medals, points and prizes, according to an USADA press release.

USADA's anti-doping programme enables investigations stemming from various sources, including tips (Play Clean Tip Line) and whistleblowers. It was through this programme, that USADA initially determined that Aivazian had purchased products containing five different prohibited substances.

However, after investigating further and reviewing additional materials, which USADA stated that it received this January and February, it learned that Aivazian possessed and used and/or attempted to use five additional prohibited substances.

Testosterone – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Anabolic Agents

Nandrolone – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Anabolic Agents

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) – a Non-Specified Substance in the category of Anabolic Agents

Somatropin (hGH) – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances, and Mimetics

Ipamorelin – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances and Mimetics

GHRP-6 – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances, and Mimetics

CJC-1295 – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances, and Mimetics

IGF-1 – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances, and Mimetics

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) – a Non-Specified Substance in the class of Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances, and Mimetics

Anastrozole – a Specified Substance in the class of Hormone and Metabolic Modulators”

I was at the Lesotho Sky that Knox rode with Rourke... They got wasted on Castle milk stout every night then blew James Reid, the junior swiss national champ and the Israeli Olympic team out the water by 30 minutes or more the next day. It was insane

A month or two later Rourke was bust and not long after the Max saga unraveled.

WADA (I think) arrived on the last night to test them. I have a feeling that was the beginning of the end.

I remember at SA XCO champs in stellies Rourke and his sidekick returned from Italy that week, and promptly kicked ass. The team manager of one of the local teams said he doesn't understand how they returned from a block of hard racing in Europe, and still beat his boys. He didn't trust the result. I thought he had sour grapes, but it turned out he wasn't wrong.

Another case of line honors going to the cheater, and an honest rider denied the chance to wear the SA stripes for a year.

I also reckon James Reid's stint at 360Life is what made him disillusioned with racing that lead to him retiring rather than doping to keep up.

“USADA busts masters racer for 10 banned drugs”

Vahe Aivazian, a 52-year-old masters racer from California,

Good solid American name that. Although it doesn't quite roll off the tongue like other good yank names like Mike Scott or even Lance Armstrong.

You mean Lance Gunderson?

America the melting pot...

Good solid American name that. Although it doesn't quite roll off the tongue like other good yank names like Mike Scott or even Lance Armstrong.

For sure the point I was trying to make was that they'd probably use anything to be faster.

I'm on red wine - it dulls the pain during a breakaway, and when I get dropped.

[emoji23]

Load up on red wine and something with lots of garlic the night before. No one wants to sit your wheel with the stink coming off you.

I speak from experience as the stinker.

Reaching a balance wrt to this point of view is a personal journey worth exploring

The irony of this post is next level... I'm getting psycho-analyzed by a complete stranger who knows virtually nothing about me or my views.

I tip my hat to you and will take my leave

In answer to your first point. Listen here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2uGE94NYug3uBsuyDVtyeu

That is as open and honest as I've ever heard Lance.

I listen to him a lot on The Forward podcast. He's definitely not the same guy and has certainly reached out to all those people you mention. 

As to your last point, I can only suggest you try and identify with aspects of someone else's story, rather than compare it to your own. It's not the level of evil you did, but did you learn something and grow out of it?

Watched this last night... in all honesty, some of the personal views are interesting, but it's also largely hot air in my books with a pretty clear narrative to subtly paint poor Lance as the victim.

Has the feel of two pals chatting over a beer trying to make Lance look a little better... and funny enough, just feels like the Oprah interview again, which they mention in this podcast didn't tick the box for the cycling fanatics, and what do you know, this didn't tick the box again. 

I do enjoy Joe's podcasts, some of them, but in this instance, he knows virtually nothing about cycling, about all the things Lance did, how far down the rabbit hole this man went. There's nothing there remotely worthwhile in substance on his making amends with people whose lives he literally destroyed... he just mentions he tried. 

Whatsapp message's:

Hey Greg, sorry bru, pity I buried your bike brand, super sincerely, Lance

Hey Betsy, long time no chat. Sorry you had a decade of hell, here's 46 Livestrong bangles. Super sorry, Lance.

I respect your views and always enjoy our engagements, but I think it's fair to say we should agree to disagree here. You're clearly a fan of the man, and I won't hold my punches about not being in his corner.

Viva the Son of Rudy  :ph34r:  :thumbup: