Idiots at the CTCT

Transporter

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing how all hubbers are super experienced ultra fit souplessed semi pros who ride perfectly.

Statistically improbable but really cool.

Well its not as if I have ever seen you come here to complain about yourself and all the trouble you have caused in your bunches with your terrible group riding skills - why should we be any different?  :P

It's amazing how all hubbers are super experienced ultra fit souplessed semi pros who ride perfectly.

Statistically improbable but really cool.

Yeah, I'm slow and unfit and not ridden a seeding race properly in years... so find myself currently starting the Argust around 7:20... you certainly do see some interesting things and you certainly do wonder about your fellow riders thought processes and skill levels. 

And then I blame myself for being back there, for not being fitter, for not having a better seeding... 

Not much value in blaming the amateur riders for being amateurish, but maybe that is just me.

all the gear and no f. . . . . . idea, sum of those peeps must of had R100.00 + bikes and kit. 

I love the dudes on their fancy superlight bikes with a 53/39 sukkeling up suikerbossie.

If you're going single digit speeds at 40rpm, it's time to swallow pride and get a compact crank okes

Argus is the most dangerous event of the year IMHO. Including all the hardcore enduro events. The speed, surface, lane changers, poor seeding, once in a blue moon idiot riders and general chaos in any group starting 2+ was just phenomenal when I did it. I'd rather crash on my own accord with stationary obstacles at decent speed and non tarmac surfaces.

I resemble a lot of the comments in this thread, not at the Argust, but at 94.7 end of last year.

My bike luckily is roughly R150, so at least that one didn't hurt as much.

Edit: and with this, enough hubbing for one day.

Edited by RocknRolla

Argus is the most dangerous event of the year IMHO. Including all the hardcore enduro events. The speed, surface, lane changers, poor seeding, once in a blue moon idiot riders and general chaos in any group starting 2+ was just phenomenal when I did it. I'd rather crash on my own accord with stationary obstacles at decent speed and non tarmac surfaces.

oxymoron

/ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/
noun

1. a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).

I love the dudes on their fancy superlight bikes with a 53/39 sukkeling up suikerbossie.

If you're going single digit speeds at 40rpm, it's time to swallow pride and get a compact crank okes

I love that those guys probably work hard to afford "fancy super light bikes" and probably contribute 42% of their income to tax for the country.

Edited by Patchelicious

Yeah some very dicey stuff.

There were a few hairy moments in the bunches in batch 3's with guys just slamming the brakes.

Kudos to the guy who managed to grab onto my handlebars as he was passing and I got caught almost wheel locking and tumbling over. He held my bike upright in passing and I managed to recover and everything went on as normal.

On another note, found one guy standing in the middle of the road on Edinburgh drive, off his bike, looking back trying to find someone in the crowd of cyclists. 

Well its not as if I have ever seen you come here to complain about yourself and all the trouble you have caused in your bunches with your terrible group riding skills - why should we be any different? :P

Don't mind me - I'm just mellowing in my middle years and am battling to udberstand why everybody who isn't me/you/us has to be an idiot.

Given that there are 36,000 people who each take a few hours to finish the race I reckon having one or two incidents the whole race is relatively good.

oxymoron

Touché. I'm talking the dingleberries type stuff at klipberg. Not the familyfunrides with downhill timers.

/ˌɒksɪˈmɔːrɒn/

noun

•  

a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g. faith unfaithful kept him falsely true ).

You expect 30 000+ people to get together and not have any idiots...

Think back to your highschool and what percent of your class were tonsils, tools, idiots, a holes, pricks, sloots etc... Apply that ratio to 30 000 people and there you go.

Just cos you ride a bike doesn't mean you a good oke.

Given that there are 36,000 people who each take a few hours to finish the race I reckon having one or two incidents the whole race is relatively good.

Yep thats the reality, when 30K+ riders come together on the roads with different fitness & skill levels & ambitions - there are always going to be accidents. It's just physics... Argus is always going to be one of the more dangerous events around. 

My biased perception on Sunday was with the dangerous winds people were generally more cautious and I have certainly passed less crashes than usual.

You expect 30 000+ people to get together and not have any idiots...

Think back to your highschool and what percent of your class were tonsils, tools, idiots, a holes, pricks, sloots etc... Apply that ratio to 30 000 people and there you go.

Just cos you ride a bike doesn't mean you a good oke.

Excellent point.