So my 9 year old was in a hit and run on Monday :(

Pants Boy

WOW!! So glad your girl is ok!

Near my office are two primary schools. Every morning I'm astounded by the amount of people skipping stop streets in front of both these schools - some with kids in the car, some clearly just dropped theirs off.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen some hair raising behavior which makes me think that certain people should not have kids. 

I'm not perfect, never was and never will be but I do try my best to set a good example for my kid.

So back to the topic.... this ****tard of an 18 year old will think a few years down the line, if she has another accident and is guilty as **** to get her dad to smooth it over with Plod to make the file disappear and poof she's back on the road Instagramming her titties while driving...  

I hope your daughter is ok,I got taken out as a kid while my mom was driving behind me. I don't remember much other than thinking I was dead but it turned out I was upside down in the air looking at the sky. The landing on the cars bonnet bouncing off it and landing in the road quickly reassured me that I wasn't dead. 

The couple of weeks on crutches did score me some points with the ladies at school, all of a sudden chicks I was too scared to approach were coming to talk to me and asking how I was doing, lots of huggy type behaviour too :-) 

Edited by Admin
It's an emotive issue, but watch the language please

Jeepers... Glsd she is ok. You did the right thing.. Let the wheels is justice handle this. This really makes my blood boil. I'm all for learning from incidents.. So even if there is no jail time...a criminal record and fine will hopefully help her learn about things

Gee, Pants Boy, that must have been a MASSIVE scare. Glad your daughter is ok and will heal up. I think those hit-and-run people should be made to pay. Legally and financially. Don't let it slide.

Edit - Please tell her to heal up well, from me, a fellow commuter who is also currently growing new shoulder bones after a crash, and has more than usual sympathy at the moment.

Edited by DJR

Sorry this is off topic but I have to ask. Is it common in Pretoria to let 9-year old's cycle to school on their own? Would make me nervous as hell if my 8&10 year old kids cycled to school.

Anyway, so glad the lady got caught. People not taking responsibility for their actions and fleeing the scene are the worst kind of scum.

Edit: Before my post gets construed the wrong way - when I was her age I also cycled to school (without a helmet and without a light when it was dark in winter) so I don't doubt her ability to handle herself. It's just not something I see in my town at all nowadays. Our preparatory school (for upto Grade 3) doesn't even have bike racks and bikes can't even get through the revolving gates the kids use.

Her 14 year old brother crossed the street seconds before her, on his bike, her 11 year old brother had dropped his chain half a block earlier and my wife, whom was following the bunch (in her i10 :ph34r:)  stopped to help him. She was literally half a block behind the scene.

I try and teach my kids 'selfstandigheid', but that does not include riding willy-nilly on their bikes. This was the first time my daughter ventured further than a block from home (this happened 3 blocks from home) but won't be the last. The two boy ride their bikes to and from school every couple of weeks, with live location sharing on. All the kids have helmets and don't go anywhere on a bike, even in the yard, without them. This has most definitely paid off in this accident.

The ironic thing in all this was that they were on their way to a 'Voortrekker' cycling safety presentation.

She's doing great, fortunately the docs summed her up nicely and made the cast 1) pink and 2) waterproof so she's been swimming and running and even attempted a bike ride yesterday. It's a mission for her to do most things, like eating (we're pretty big on the 'eat proper home cooked food at the table with fork, knife and manners' so not much one-handed pizzas and burgers) but she is somewhat milking the attention.

As far as the police case goes, the docket for the accident has been found, and we are in discussion with a fair number of people regarding the hit-and-run case. I'll give more details after Thursday evening when we are having a sit-down with the dad and daughter combo. Our friendly family friend judge may or may not make an appearance as well.  :ph34r:

So this is obviously not a viable solution in the short term, but on my way to gym I pass a school where the kids need to cross the road, as well as a few stop streets before and after the crossing - at the crossing and the stop streets there are horrific speed bumps at the entrance and exit to the intersection. Even in a bakkie with modified suspension I would not be able to blast through the stops, as a result even if someone did not stop at the intersection they would be slowed down to the point where very little harm can be caused.

Maybe something to lobby for in each respective area where your kids go to school?

Her 14 year old brother crossed the street seconds before her, on his bike, her 11 year old brother had dropped his chain half a block earlier and my wife, whom was following the bunch (in her i10 :ph34r:)  stopped to help him. She was literally half a block behind the scene.

Oh man, what a bizarre chain of coincidences! Just really glad she is ok.

Tx for the updates 

You have an adorable little girl, Pants Boy. Glad she is okay, and may she never lose her beautiful smile because of some numb-skulled idiots.

Now, as for the driver racing away. Seeing she is 18 as you say, I am wondering if seeing that after realising she knocked your girl, she got a moerse skrik, and did a runner. Dad did what any protective dad of an 18 yo would do, and try keep his girl out of jail.

I am NOT condoning what happened, in any way, and insist justice is applied, but I am trying to understand the displayed behavioral patterns.

But the blatant lying after the fact about stopping, nah the perp is an unrepentant devious piece of sht who needs to learn a lesson.

Very very glad your sweet little girl is doing okay and will mend.

I cannot even imagine how much of a fright hearing about something like this must be to a parent.

So this is obviously not a viable solution in the short term, but on my way to gym I pass a school where the kids need to cross the road, as well as a few stop streets before and after the crossing - at the crossing and the stop streets there are horrific speed bumps at the entrance and exit to the intersection. Even in a bakkie with modified suspension I would not be able to blast through the stops, as a result even if someone did not stop at the intersection they would be slowed down to the point where very little harm can be caused.

Maybe something to lobby for in each respective area where your kids go to school?

You obviously have no freaking idea how many speed bumps there already is in that area.  :whistling:

You obviously have no freaking idea how many speed bumps there already is in that area. :whistling:

Haha I don't :)

I hate speed bumps as much as the next guy - but what I am eluding to here is the placement of the speedbump rather than the quantity of speed bumps. Most of the time I see a speed bump I stomp on the gas, preload (in my head) and pull up when I hit it - full send haha - but the placement and size of these at stop streets forces one to come to a complete stop - maybe a good idea to copy?