So my 9 year old was in a hit and run on Monday :(

Pants Boy

The ironic thing in all this was that they were on their way to a 'Voortrekker' cycling safety presentation.

If she is 9 now, it means I stopped being an officer the year she started (age 7-grade 1, ish). Die Vories is hands down the best organization for south african kids to be a part of. No wonder her good spirit.

I'm glad to hear about the case developments. More strongs to you and family OP

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If she is 9 now, it means I stopped being an officer the year she started (age 7-grade 1, ish). Die Vories is hands down the best organization for south african kids to be a part of. No wonder her good spirit.

I'm glad to hear about the case developments. More strongs to you and family OP

Cool. I still teach sailing to the high school Voortrekkers, was an occifer for ~10 years or so but got fed up with the politics (not the country type politics, the inter-personal politics) and the people in charge who have no qualification to be in charge. Klein mannetjie / Dominees se vrou sindroom.

Cool. I still teach sailing to the high school Voortrekkers, was an occifer for ~10 years or so but got fed up with the politics (not the country type politics, the inter-personal politics) and the people in charge who have no qualification to be in charge. Klein mannetjie / Dominees se vrou sindroom.

I know exactly what you mean - hence I've also stopped intermittently. 

Did you by any chance volunteer to help the sailing at wilgedraai? May have met you without knowing it! 

Sorry for the off topic question, everyone else reading this

(Awaiting the arrival of the trolls to this very tasty side-topic being discussed)

I was part of the VT for around 20 years before life got too "busy", great organization equipping kids with life skills.  :thumbup:

I know exactly what you mean - hence I've also stopped intermittently. 

Did you by any chance volunteer to help the sailing at wilgedraai? May have met you without knowing it! 

Sorry for the off topic question, everyone else reading this

Yes indeed. Die "kamp binne in die kamp" 

Yes indeed. Die "kamp binne in die kamp"

Do the girls still wear kappies.. I had some friends in primary school who did it.. every Friday with their kappies on and off they went..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Gen

They haven't for 20 odd years :) They've moved on tremendously from the old image of khakie klere en kappies, parade staan etc etc.

Some of the newer specializations that get taught include 4x4 driving, scuba diving, sailing etc. 

Have a look (if you're interested) at https://www.facebook.com/DieVoortrekkers/ as well as  https://www.facebook.com/Wilgedraai/ at some of the activities they get up to. It's most definitely not the Voortrekkers I attended at school 25 odd years ago. 

Edited by Pants Boy

They haven't for 20 odd years :) They've moved on tremendously from the old image of khakie klere en kappies, parade staan etc etc.

Some of the newer specializations that get taught include 4x4 driving, scuba diving, sailing etc.

Have a look (if you're interested) at https://www.facebook.com/DieVoortrekkers/ as well as https://www.facebook.com/Wilgedraai/ at some of the activities they get up to. It's most definitely not the Voortrekkers I attended at school 25 odd years ago.

Shot.. yep def been longer than 20 year since I was in primary school.. much much longer[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi Pants Boy, how's the little lady doing?? 

Also how's the scum bag of a driver and her equally scummy father doing?? Have they been made aware of all the *** that's heading their way? 

Her 14 year old brother crossed the street seconds before her, on his bike, her 11 year old brother had dropped his chain half a block earlier and my wife, whom was following the bunch (in her i10 :ph34r:)  stopped to help him. She was literally half a block behind the scene.

I try and teach my kids 'selfstandigheid', but that does not include riding willy-nilly on their bikes. This was the first time my daughter ventured further than a block from home (this happened 3 blocks from home) but won't be the last. The two boy ride their bikes to and from school every couple of weeks, with live location sharing on. All the kids have helmets and don't go anywhere on a bike, even in the yard, without them. This has most definitely paid off in this accident.

The ironic thing in all this was that they were on their way to a 'Voortrekker' cycling safety presentation.

She's doing great, fortunately the docs summed her up nicely and made the cast 1) pink and 2) waterproof so she's been swimming and running and even attempted a bike ride yesterday. It's a mission for her to do most things, like eating (we're pretty big on the 'eat proper home cooked food at the table with fork, knife and manners' so not much one-handed pizzas and burgers) but she is somewhat milking the attention.

As far as the police case goes, the docket for the accident has been found, and we are in discussion with a fair number of people regarding the hit-and-run case. I'll give more details after Thursday evening when we are having a sit-down with the dad and daughter combo. Our friendly family friend judge may or may not make an appearance as well.  :ph34r:

Glad to hear your little one is coping well with it all, oh and I think you have the parenting thing weighed off :thumbup:

Ok so we had a great weekend at the dam sailing swimming and relaxing - much needed for the whole family.

We had a pow-wow early last week with a mate of ours who's a judge. he gave us some sobering stats regarding courts, court cases and of course what happens statistically to 18 year old stewardesses when arrested. On his recommendation we had a sit-down with her and her parents about the accident and the way forward. We decided to not open a hit and run case - to this we attached absolutely no strings, as we believe that she genuinely had a fright AND learned a couple of BIG life lessons as well as showing true remorse over the whole saga.

Next on the list were costs involved - even after the (good) medical aid paid out there are still at least R5000 to R6000 outstanding. They will cover this shortfall. They will also cover therapy for our kids. The driver must also attend both therapy (she is very close to losing her marbles over the accident) and do community service with an ambulance crew to see first hand the damage negligent driving causes.

She will also be formally apologizing to my daughter for the accident.

I think everyone may just be better off after this. It was the best solution that was 'fair' to everyone. 

While many of us cyclists would like ultimate justice (whatever that is), it seems that this outcome will be truly life-changing for her (driver). And in a super-positive way.

Pants Boy, you are a good man and an example to this world

Ok so we had a great weekend at the dam sailing swimming and relaxing - much needed for the whole family.

We had a pow-wow early last week with a mate of ours who's a judge. he gave us some sobering stats regarding courts, court cases and of course what happens statistically to 18 year old stewardesses when arrested. On his recommendation we had a sit-down with her and her parents about the accident and the way forward. We decided to not open a hit and run case - to this we attached absolutely no strings, as we believe that she genuinely had a fright AND learned a couple of BIG life lessons as well as showing true remorse over the whole saga.

Next on the list were costs involved - even after the (good) medical aid paid out there are still at least R5000 to R6000 outstanding. They will cover this shortfall. They will also cover therapy for our kids. The driver must also attend both therapy (she is very close to losing her marbles over the accident) and do community service with an ambulance crew to see first hand the damage negligent driving causes.

She will also be formally apologizing to my daughter for the accident.

I think everyone may just be better off after this. It was the best solution that was 'fair' to everyone. 

Well done in your approach!

Any chance you can get a copy of the security camera footage, with number plates and faces blurred out, so that we can get people in Pretoria and in our own suburb to take their driving more seriously?

Nothing like video footage in your own back-yard to shake you to your senses? Share it with high-school kids as well before they start driving.