Gravel Bike Self Build

Sbloomer

I read somewhere that a mtb frame wont work as the bars would be too far forward.

I have a Chinese Carbon ht frame that I wanted to use.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Momsen str works well. Just buy a size or tow smaller. Same for the HT. Expect to have a moerse long seat tube.

I built this using bits and pieces I begged, borrowed and stole. It’s a 26er MTB frame (Giant XTC) with a rigid steel fork (was the most difficult part of the build to source), 29er wheels with 35c tyres, 9 speed and cable disks. Not sure what it cost in the end, but was not a lot...!

7267ede87ead974f41c3637726d88f32.jpg

I read somewhere that a mtb frame wont work as the bars would be too far forward.

I have a Chinese Carbon ht frame that I wanted to use.

Depends on your flexibility but i know a few guys that have done it to try out CX racing.

You need some shallow drop bars,short stem and maybe a riser bar.

I’m keen on a gravel bike but given a shortage of cash I can’t buy new and nothing second hand that I can find would be in my budget.

So the question, assuming a budget of around R7500 how would the knowledgeable folk approach building one from the ground up? Use a road bike as the basis? Or a hardtail MTB? Other things that should be considered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sell the iPhone?

seriously though, why do you want a gravel bike?

to do gravel bike only races

to do long day rides in the karoo

to go touring

to have a bike that is also quick on the tar

This is my attempt. It's a 26" mtb that I had so I didn't have the expense of getting a bike to start with. I Fitted a ridged carbon fork that was also the most challenging part to source. Got one from fellow hubber MTB TG. A friend of mine has a Trek Boon that he upgraded the wheels and had the original Bontrager's lying around. I Bought them for verry good price from him. The next challenge was the gear ratio's. 38-11 wasn't ideal. I Got hold of a Sram 44t ring. It's actually for a triple crank but with a small mod I made it work on the double crank. The small ring was changed from a 26t to a 28t. Using a 11-36 cassette the ratio is low enough to climb anything and high enough for a decent top speed. I've got 700-28 tyres on at the moment but test fitted a set of 35's and they work perfectly. In total I spent R7k.       

post-62204-0-51720700-1552549781_thumb.jpeg

I am also building up a gravel bike. Took a carbon gt zaskar 26er frame, 10 speed 105 shimano shifters with 9 speed slx rd and shimano cable disc callipers

Not finished yet. I have a road fork on a.t.m. i.e no front brake. Want to keep it 1x and try a 36 oval. Will go bigger in the future when I upgrade to a wider range cassette. Cassette is 11-36 a.t.m. with a 32 in front but thats too small.

I had to put a 50mm stem with spacers under the stem to bring it closer and my saddle is as far back as possible to get back over the bb. Will need a setback seatpost. Still to come.

I think the frame is designed for a 100mm suspension fork and when you put a rigid on it messes everything up. Bars drop and seatpost angle changes in the proses. Still not sure if I like it or not...

Build cost me roughly 5500 but used bits lying around and got bars and shifters from a friend.

I’m keen on a gravel bike but given a shortage of cash I can’t buy new and nothing second hand that I can find would be in my budget.

So the question, assuming a budget of around R7500 how would the knowledgeable folk approach building one from the ground up? Use a road bike as the basis? Or a hardtail MTB? Other things that should be considered?

Have a look at these Videos

I have watched this One "Building 1X Gravel Bike From Road Bike (2X7 to 1X10 Conversion)"

https://youtu.be/KHXYN1JH8Oc

Saw this one as well may be very insightful

https://youtu.be/H7jCCZwG23k

sell the iPhone?

seriously though, why do you want a gravel bike?

to do gravel bike only races

to do long day rides in the karoo

to go touring

to have a bike that is also quick on the tar

All the above [emoji848]. I have a dually but 75% of my riding is road & gravel.

Edited by Sbloomer

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/352267-large-29er-gt-zaskar-with-carbon-rigid-fork/

If you sell those xt brakes, bars, stem etc youll have enough to buy the stuff for the conversion to drop bars

Only challenge with this might be to find decent 2 x 10 Shimano Shifters at a good price. ( Tiagra won't work )

You will also need a 9 spd rear der. to work with the 10 spd cassette, but this is a cheap conversion.

Edited by Koos Likkewaan

The pull ratio on Sram MTB and road mechs are the same. 

I have campy shifters and Sram derailer. works perfect. If you go that route, the shifters should put you back about 1800. 2x10.

Currently I have 2.25 racing ralph tyres on it, so very comfy... It is a mtb frame, so I moved the seat forward and a very short stem.