Numbness on little & Ring finger after CT Cycle tour

Hi all,

So I did the CT Cycle tour last Sunday. Race was great. Race was also long as I am not used to 5+ hours in the saddle.

We did the race on our mountain bikes for fun and we had a blast. 

I have a Scott Spark 940 2018 with the standard Syncros XR2.0 saddle

My ass took a beating, and I am still experiencing a numbness in my right hand's little & ring finger which is concerning. Part of my genitals was also numb for about 2 days or so

Any idea to what my cause this? Is it permanent nerve damage or should I give it more time? 

I'm thinking the saddle is not suited for me as Ive not yet done a proper bike setup, could be that my position on the bike is wrong? 

Hi all,

So I did the CT Cycle tour last Sunday. Race was great. Race was also long as I am not used to 5+ hours in the saddle.

My ass took a beating, and I am still experiencing a numbness in my right hand's little & ring finger which is concerning. Part of my genitals was also numb for about 2 days or so

Any idea to what my cause this? Is it permanent nerve damage or should I give it more time? 

I'm thinking the saddle is not suited for me as Ive not yet done a proper bike setup, could be that my position on the bike is wrong? 

wrong bike, next time cruise on a road bike. 

I have a stumpy and after a crash, loaned a friend's Syncros XR2.0 saddle and did the 60km CT MTB challenge with it...I promptly got a new saddle after that event.

Those saddles are HARD and without 6 pairs of bib's on, shouldn't be ridden for more than 5kms.

Not sure about your finger though, but I can definitely suggest to burn that saddle and get something else.

I have a stumpy and after a crash, loaned a friend's Syncros XR2.0 saddle and did the 60km CT MTB challenge with it...I promptly got a new saddle after that event.

Those saddles are HARD and without 6 pairs of bib's on, shouldn't be ridden for more than 5kms.

Not sure about your finger though, but I can definitely suggest to burn that saddle and get something else.

The better advice the OP was waiting for?

Hi all,

Hi all,

Whole of pinky and ring fingers, or just pinky and half ring?

Whole of pinky and ring fingers, or just pinky and half ring?

Was both of them for about 3 days or so. Now only part of the little finger and the side part of the ring finger. I can feel but there is still a slight numbness in both... 

I would recommend going for a bike setup - you shouldn't be numb anywhere at all, let alone for a few days!

As others have already mentioned, you definitely need a different saddle.

Nothing wrong with doing the cycle tour on a MB. Was rather looking for a more helpful response regarding the situation but I'll wait for someone else to respond thank you. 

You have not done a bike setup and could not understand why you have some pain? 

Thought it was a bit obvious why you are hurting all over, the bike does not fit you. 

A Mtb does not allow as much flexibility on the bike as the hand positions are limited, unlike the top of bar, hoods and drops. Therefore on a road bike there is less likely hood of going numb everywhere. 

It is called Carpel Syndrome caused by injuring the median nerve that runs through your hand. I also had it and after a long ride the numbness and pain would be there for a few days. Definately something wrong with your setup that cause too much pressure on your hands. Sort out your setup before it cause permanent damage.

Hi all,

I think it's too soon to worry about permanent damage. What you're describing is probably due to excessive pressure on either the ulnar nerve or of the median nerve at the center of the wrist. Pretty common among cyclists. (Google "cyclist's palsy")

Edited by Craai

Was both of them for about 3 days or so. Now only part of the little finger and the side part of the ring finger. I can feel but there is still a slight numbness in both... 

If it's pinky and outer side of ring finger, you most probably pinched the carpal nerve in your wrist. Search carpal tunnel.

I agree with the bike setup advice - you won't be sorry.

spaz power saddle solved alot of these issues for me personally. my wife also uses one now after trying mine. Just make sure to get your assbones measured or do it youself and go try one out.

i think it can be a combo of bikefit/saddle though. im long legged so my saddle tends to be alot higher than my handlebars even on a XL frame....that puts some strain on my wrists that also leeds to tingling fingers on LONG rides. I have been told that this is solvable by strengthening your core though.

Edited by morneS555