One trail bike to rule them all

ABrooks

Congrats! Stumpy's will always have a soft spot. Enjoy the trails!

I might just be used to the look of the 35mm stem on my bike, but that stem looks a lot longer than the regular 50/60mm on these types of bikes?

Could just be the angle of the photo I guess.

I'd have to measure but it looked like a 60mm stem to me. The bike leaned back quite a bit in the photo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will not regret it. I went through exactly the same decision process. Ended up buying the Stumpy 6fattie. Lightweight XC bike is still in the garage.... gathering dust! Best thing I ever bought for myself. Thought I would buy a 29 wheelset for it and probably still will.... but if you get the pressure right on those big tyres you will get to the bottom of ANY trail with the biggest smile by a looong mile!! I feel like a kid again when I ride the Stumpy. And it climbs pretty well all things considered. I ride Jonkershoek most days and this is IMHO the best bike for the terrain. Enjoy!!!

You will not regret it. I went through exactly the same decision process. Ended up buying the Stumpy 6fattie. Lightweight XC bike is still in the garage.... gathering dust! Best thing I ever bought for myself. Thought I would buy a 29 wheelset for it and probably still will.... but if you get the pressure right on those big tyres you will get to the bottom of ANY trail with the biggest smile by a looong mile!! I feel like a kid again when I ride the Stumpy. And it climbs pretty well all things considered. I ride Jonkershoek most days and this is IMHO the best bike for the terrain. Enjoy!!!

I would say the best investment you can make short of a 29er wheelset is to buy Specialized 2.8" tyres with a Grid casing. Good combo is Slaughter for the rear Butcher for the front. It makes a night and day difference over the 3.0" tyres with control casing and actually allows you to run the 14-17psi range that the plus tyres were meant for.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

2017 Stumpy. SWAT is not a gimmick!

Recently changed from 27.5 x 3.0 fatties to 29 2.6 (Magic M upfront and Nobby Nick rear); almost no pedal strikes which I struggled with on the 27.5 wheels. Would love to find me 9er 2.8 but haven't yet and prefer the Schwalbes to (Spez) Butcher, Purgatory or Slaughter.

Most importantly the Stumpy gives me much pleasure..."long time".

Thanks for the input, the Merida just seems well equiped for the price I'd be paying. 

I think the 2019 Merida also got some favourable reviews

Quick feedback after doing two rides. The bike is amazing! The extra travel and geometry help so much with confidence and fatigue in the legs and arms/hands. I also noticed that I don't feel as tired or sore after a ride, especially in the shoulder/neck area.

We rode Jonkers on Saturday, Armageddon has taken a punch with the Epic that rolled through there. The bike just bombed down the rutted sections. Rode Mont-Marie today and had a bit of bad luck on our way there. 

post-84485-0-38250600-1554150354_thumb.jpeg

Luckily a plug sorted that out quickly. 

I must honestly say the bike feels like a great all-rounder to me. I will probably miss the 2x setup I had at some point when I want to go faster, especially on the road. But the 1x setup is sooo quiet out on the trail and such a breeze to use. I will go to 29" wheels at some point, but for the time being, I am going to ride it as is. I can see on Strava that it is a bit slower, not by much, but it doesn't bother me. When the bike points down it puts a huge smile on my face. 

Edited by Andreas Brooks