SRAM Eagle NX 1x12

MBrooke

Just upgraded to 1x12 with NX cassette 11-50. My reccomendation would be to go with GX 10-50 cassette and GX chain. The NX chain rusts very badly in first week. Found needing small 10 gear on the rear.

Thanks for the advise. The chain is brand new not even ridden and it’s rusted. Please tell us how to look after a brand new chain.

I live in Durban but built the bike up in PE and drove up to Durban over 3 days with the bike on the roof. Got to Durban and saw the chain rusted like crazy. I was surprised cause I’ve never seen a chain rust like that before. Tried scrubbing but didn’t come off. I’ve lubbed it like crazy.

• 4 weeks later...

doesn't sound right. Maybe contact the bike shop and find out what they suggest. I would return it if its that bad. 

My NX chain is 3 months old with over 1500km on it in all weather  Not a spot of rust. Maybe you should try look after it

even bricks rust in durban :ph34r:

Riding along the beach between Cintsa and Coffee Bay for a week destroyed an almost new Shimano chain for me. It was on about 600km at the start and well less than 0.5% stretch. By the end it was about 800km and well over 0.75%. That only took 6 days and about 185km of cycling including cleaning the bike and re-lubing the chain every afternoon.

Some conditions just destroy chains.

Edited by Jehosefat