Why has mountain biking become a team sport?

Barry_W

As far as I can recall, the concept was introduced by the Epic. The other 2-man races like W2W, Sani etc are all younger than the Epic. The stage races that are older than the Epic, like To Hell and Back, Imana Wild Ride, are individual races. Anyone else?

Imani Wild Ride was first stage race in SA, teams because of safety. First one I did KEVIN Vermaak was riding and he had just started the Epic , was early 2000s I think

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it starts with a gun, flag or whistle ..... we racing Boet!!!

will tell the wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imani Wild Ride was first stage race in SA, teams because of safety. First one I did KEVIN Vermaak was riding and he had just started the Epic , was early 2000s I think[/quot

To Hell and Back is the oldest stage race but you enter individually.

Teams just make more sense in multi day events on all levels.

Edited by TIB

As far as I can recall, the concept was introduced by the Epic. The other 2-man races like W2W, Sani etc are all younger than the Epic. The stage races that are older than the Epic, like To Hell and Back, Imana Wild Ride, are individual races. Anyone else?

I believe the 2 rider team concept was introduced by the TransAlp which is now in its 22nd running?

The idea for the Cape Epic was conceived somewhere in Costa Rica during the La Ruta de los COnquistadores stage race that Kevin Vermaak was riding, could be 2002 or earlier. Cape Epic was first run in 2004.

I see this changing as more and more stage races are offering solo entries, thankfully. This suits me personally as I find riding partners that have a similar riding style to me difficult to find. I am way below average on the climbs and above average on the technicals and descents. So I either kill my legs trying to keep up with my partner on the climbs or he is risking life and limb staying with me on the decents.

True that, in my case though I just don't 'play well with others' as my wife says ... I will only ride in a team with either my brother (now in the land of the long white cloud) or my son (rides when he feels like it)

I almost always train and 'race' stoksiel alleen and that's how I prefer it

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

will tell the wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have this 'problem'. Once did this mtb race with the wife...

She was going a bit leisurely for my liking.

Yea you know I left here behind. :devil:

i'm not allowed to anymore if I want her to be part of the fun. And I need her to be...

...to justify buying all the things we 'need' every month for the bikes. :whistling:

i have this 'problem'. Once did this mtb race with the wife...

She was going a bit leisurely for my liking.

Yea you know I left here behind. :devil:

i'm not allowed to anymore if I want her to be part of the fun. And I need her to be...

...to justify buying all the things we 'need' every month for the bikes. :whistling:

Dit was blind.

I like the team dynamic added when riding with a partner.

There are some of my riding mates who I will not do a stage race with, but I'll go to Mordor with the chosen ones. And I guess that is what you need when doing the bigger races like the epic.

True that, in my case though I just don't 'play well with others' as my wife says ... I will only ride in a team with either my brother (now in the land of the long white cloud) or my son (rides when he feels like it)

Me to

And I don’t have any brothers or kids so even more so

????

It's difficult to find good riding partners. Somewhere some-one will compromise. 

Rode Sani with my missus a couple of years ago. She is a very strong rider, she excels technically, and can climb like a mountaingoat. Not good for me, I like drinking beer and eating burgers and pizza, training always takes a back seat. It was tough riding with her, but in the end most enjoyable, also got me the highest finish in a race ever (mixed)

I like riding solo as well. sometimes one does not need the added admin of worrying over a partner. The fact that a lot of the races are allowing solo, is great in my opinion. You can always make friends on the trail if you really feel lonely.

Edited by RocknRolla

Loner. 

As far as I'm aware Imana Wild Ride was the first to introduce the 2-rider team concept but it was used on the international scene a few years earlier.  there are definitely pros and cons to the concept - from a safety perspective it's a good idea when it would take medics a while to reach a rider in trouble.  It also adds spice to a racing dynamic where partner choice is critical to success.  For a couple of years I enjoyed the team aspect of mountainbiking - but it wears thin after a while so it's back to solo for me - not having to worry about someone else is liberating :-)

Edited by Cactus

riding with a partner is a double edged sword.

If you're the one making the pace, fixing the technicals and then also waiting for your partner then its a pretty crap concept. But when you get hurt and you have someone there to assist then its the best thing in the world.

So for me its a must have

For races such as Epic i cant see why they would want to change it, there is a ceiling limit on numbers so you would have to reduce the amount of 2 member teams, the prologue would also be a challenge regards time gaps. 

The 2 person team format ensures the following:

The first person's entry pays for the chopper and it's pilot following the lead pack.

The second person's entry pays partially for the rest, and involves the profit part for the organizers.

:whistling:  :ph34r: