Specialized EPIC EVO Rockshock rear shock squish squish noise

SwissVan

My 1.5 month old Specialized EVO rear shock (RockShox Micro Brain shock w/ Spike Valve and Autosag) is making a squish squish noise as it compresses, most noticeably for the first few compressions then it gets quieter.

Sounded like air in the system or maybe sucking air... so I took it in for the bikes first free service and they said.... yes it’s a problem looks like air in the oil....and must be sent in for warranty repair (2 - 3 weeks).

Any had this problem before?

Just wondering if it’s a common issue on these type of rockshocks?

Edited by SwissVan

My 1.5 month old Specialized EVO rear shock (RockShox Micro Brain shock w/ Spike Valve and Autosag) is making a squish squish noise as it compresses, most noticeably for the first few compressions then it gets quieter.

Sounded like air in the system or maybe sucking air... so I took it in for the bikes first free service and they said.... yes it’s a problem looks like air in the oil....and must be sent in for warranty repair (2 - 3 weeks).

Any had this problem before?

Just wondering if it’s a common issue on these type of rockshocks?

Can happen to any shock, one bad seal

Puck of the draw I guess, if more cases pop up it could be an oem issue but I doubt it'll happen

Dampers pop from time to time, you should be fine after a rebuild. Spez quite often just swap your shock out for a replacement to cut down on turnaround time, so if it's a Monday special it may become someone else's problem after this.

Dampers pop from time to time, you should be fine after a rebuild. Spez quite often just swap your shock out for a replacement to cut down on turnaround time, so if it's a Monday special it may become someone else's problem after this.

Or I may get someone’s Monday special

As it’s brand spanking new I hope I don’t get someone else’s jorked out one... is there a serial number on them?

• 2 years later...

I have a 2020 Spez Epic, also with a Rockshox rear shock. The shock came with a two year warranty and free servicing of the shock. When I bought my bike I was aware of the issues with the Brain 2.0, but I was under the impression these problems were fixed from 2020 onwards, so I thought the warranty would be a "nice to have", not a "need to have". 

In the two years since I got my bike, it's popped the seals three times, making this same squishy sound. It's been repaired three times, no questions asked, for free.

My warranty will run out soon, and then I'll have to cough up R1.2k each time this happens. Looking at my track record, I'll have to spend this every seven to eight months.

My question is, are other guys having the same issues? Can I replace my 2020 shock with something more reliable from newer Spez Epics? 

10 hours ago, Stephan said:

I have a 2020 Spez Epic, also with a Rockshox rear shock. The shock came with a two year warranty and free servicing of the shock. When I bought my bike I was aware of the issues with the Brain 2.0, but I was under the impression these problems were fixed from 2020 onwards, so I thought the warranty would be a "nice to have", not a "need to have". 

In the two years since I got my bike, it's popped the seals three times, making this same squishy sound. It's been repaired three times, no questions asked, for free.

My warranty will run out soon, and then I'll have to cough up R1.2k each time this happens. Looking at my track record, I'll have to spend this every seven to eight months.

My question is, are other guys having the same issues? Can I replace my 2020 shock with something more reliable from newer Spez Epics? 

bike yoke and x-fusion colabarated to make a micro shock to replace the brain shock on some epic's get in contact with them and ask if they have something compatible with your frame ( still looking at probably 10k ) but the rockshox brain system seems to be more sensitive. And they do have service intervals you should stick to if you want the best performance 

Welcome to the world of specialized 🤦🏻‍♂️.This is coming from my experience of owning every version of epic since they came out until I changed brands a year ago and haven’t looked back.Every year the spin about the brain is the same (problems fixed,more sensitive etc etc) but in long run they all remain the same.

Unfortunately you are between a rock and a hard place.Spez keep record of every suspension service history and if you miss a service don’t expect warranty 

or have to pay out of pocket yourself.In short no another shock won’t fit and you have to get it serviced by them.

Im sure there are lbs that can service the 2020 brain as it’s not that complicated but if they run into problems and you have to then go on your knees to specialized expect resistance.

On a side note specialized used to do a swop out when customers sent their shocks in for service.In other words you send your brain in for service and they send a brain back to you that has just been serviced but not your original shock.

This always irritated me as I would have preferred my shock back.Not sure if that is still policy or if things have changed over the years.

There's an upgrade seal kit for those shocks that's meant to solve the problem. As said above, there's nothing else that will fit on that frame so you've got what you've got.

A question though, how often do you ride? A 150 hour service interval can come up pretty fast if you're riding 3 times a week.

2 hours ago, stringbean said:

On a side note specialized used to do a swop out when customers sent their shocks in for service.In other words you send your brain in for service and they send a brain back to you that has just been serviced but not your original shock.

This always irritated me as I would have preferred my shock back.Not sure if that is still policy or if things have changed over the years.

This is what happened to me, I got another shock back not my original new one, sadly this is how many OEM companies work with repairs under warranty, you get an "exchange unit" and not your original one. One reason for this is that its a quicker turn around to provide an exchange unit, instead of waiting for your original one to be repaired.

1 hour ago, droo said:

There's an upgrade seal kit for those shocks that's meant to solve the problem. As said above, there's nothing else that will fit on that frame so you've got what you've got.

A question though, how often do you ride? A 150 hour service interval can come up pretty fast if you're riding 3 times a week.

Touch wood, but the unit I got back in 2019 is still working fine, no squish squish.

I don't bother with tracking the time between services,, as you say it comes up very quickly, even if you ride occasionally like i do