12 speed chain replacement

justinlo

Replace it now, but cough up for the XX1 chain in gold or black. They last forever. Mine has 2000km and not even showing 0.25

Edit: I recall some guys run 3 chains to 0.5, then run those same 3 chains to 0.75. Then replace chains and cassette. I'll reiterate that the XX1 chains will make this entire cycle stretch much longer.

How much are the Xx1 12sp chains?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My eagle xo1 chain came with groupset off joggie prinsloo's old scott spark whick he rode the wine to wales with nino a couple years back. Chain also not showing wear. I wasnt sure if im measuring wrong, bought a gx chain rode it till it showed 0.05 wear and put the xo1 chain back. And still better shape than the gx chain. 5000+km

10000km on an X01 chain in JHB is possible. Never seen anyone in the Western Cape get that kind of km out of one.

In jhb I also notice people use a bigger chain ring, mostly a 36T. Bigger chain rings, more chain wrap will give less wear.

You two both need to keep in mind that this thread is about Eagle/12spd and I'm getting the idea you're talking about XX1/Xo1 in the 11spd versions which is not relevant here

No, I am talking xo1 12 speed chain

10000km on an X01 chain in JHB is possible. Never seen anyone in the Western Cape get that kind of km out of one.

In jhb I also notice people use a bigger chain ring, mostly a 36T. Bigger chain rings, more chain wrap will give less wear.

I run a 34t chain ring. I train mostly in jhb, but included in my mileage mentioned is hell n back, attakwas 2018 (the rainy version), epic 2018 and joberg2c 2018 (which was rather wet). So overall a mixture of conditions

It could be because most still love gravel grinding and desire more top speed.

I run a 34t chain ring. I train mostly in jhb, but included in my mileage mentioned is hell n back, attakwas 2018 (the rainy version), epic 2018 and joberg2c 2018 (which was rather wet). So overall a mixture of conditions

through similar events I went through a X01 in around 1600km, a GX in <1000km and a Taya in 300km..

through similar events I went through a X01 in around 1600km, a GX in <1000km and a Taya in 300km..

So maybe what is worth considering is riding style. I think some big differences include:

- grinding vs spinning up i.e how effectively does one use the gears

- keeping momentum through corners and not needing to hammer it on exits to get speed up

- keeping momentum from downhills as you transition into an uphill, and soft pedaling at the base of the uphill before getting power down as the inclination increases

- are you a racer vs a weekend warrior vs a fun rider, etc

This is not a comment on your riding style DnD, but rather another consideration that I never see being discussed when it comes to drive train durability

So maybe what is worth considering is riding style. I think some big differences include:

- grinding vs spinning up i.e how effectively does one use the gears

- keeping momentum through corners and not needing to hammer it on exits to get speed up

- keeping momentum from downhills as you transition into an uphill, and soft pedaling at the base of the uphill before getting power down as the inclination increases

- are you a racer vs a weekend warrior vs a fun rider, etc

This is not a comment on your riding style DnD, but rather another consideration that I never see being discussed when it comes to drive train durability

I hear you. I prefer to compare PTW rather than simply just pedalling styles

I tend to be a 80-90 rpm cadence rider. Seldom higher, often lower. I tend to power up the climbs rather than spin my way up. PTW around 3.8W/kg to 4.0W/kg.

However I don't base my comments on the longevity of the chains solely on my experience but rather on a snap shot of users in my area and what the LBS in my area are replacing vs selling and then customer returns. The general view is in our area the GX and X01 chains don't last nearly as long as the XX1 chains. There are users that get long life out of the GX and X01 12speed chains, but they appear to be more the outliers 

geez i got just over 7000km on my GX and have just replaced it.

how much of that is training on the road? How much on gravel, how much trail, wet or dry?

I ride my mtb mostly on the road. 10 5 of the mileage is simply riding to the trail head. All seasons. 

Last year, I rode many wet muddy events and races so clearly this is worst case.

I agree the terrain and style of riding is going to influence your chains life span.

I clean once a week, ride a 50/50 dirt and tar. Spinning on the steep climbs but ride the lower cogs on the flats- 36 ring up front with 11-50 cassette.

Have currently ridden x2 chains, now on the 3rd fitted Saturday, GX and KMC 12speed got roughly the same kms on both 2200km Thus is when the gauge dropped through at 0.5.

Suppose the test would be to get a XX1 chain and see what it does and not changing my current routine.

how much of that is training on the road? How much on gravel, how much trail, wet or dry?

I ride my mtb mostly on the road. 10 5 of the mileage is simply riding to the trail head. All seasons. 

Last year, I rode many wet muddy events and races so clearly this is worst case.

had a bike rebuild in Jan 2018 for Epic 2018  and  only in feb 2019 have had the drive chain replaced. so most of the time its on the Tyger berg trails with a Spesbona  and Occultdale gravel loop, rain not so much last year. 

And it was shot to **** when i replaced it. LOL looking after the rand's 

Just another thing that popped into my head whilst out riding...

why is it only the 12 speed chains that require changing at 0.5 wear. A 10 speed can be replaced at .075,they are the same length between the links, sure it a little thinner but is that really going to make a difference? Or is it just about shifting accuracy.