I didn't finish the Epic because.....and the after effects

There is a big difference between myself ,at194cm tall and weighing a100kg and a 160cm tall rider, weighing 65kg going down a steep switchback and drop off.I am convinced John Smit does not ride every tight switchback with a cliff on the far side .All the riders were capable .Some just have more to lose when they get hurt ,and that keeps your ego in place

How's that? I'm 176cm at 77kg and don't see myself at an disadvantage. Technical sections require exactly that - technical ability. And maybe a little bravery and trust in equipment. I see many lighter riders who struggle badly or are much more careful and slower down those sections than the heavier, skilled and braver riders. Yes, on an XL bike you might need a "bit" more space around a switch back (up or down) and some extra strength....but essentially no big difference imo. Unless I don't get your point?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to completed the Epic yesterday, my first one. This is truly a special race and will cherish these memories for life.

We were riding on my partners strength/limit and around the the 260 GC mark. What I did saw this last week in our group(s) are that the guys technical skills are shocking! Like in crazy k@k. I don't understand how people can buy +R100k bikes these days and don't want to spend R5k on skills sharpening.

I did a 80 km mtb group ride this weekend............there was a lady that does not fit your typical stereotype but she was strong like a train..........don't judge by looks !

Helped a lady in Oudtshoorn last year.  Had a flat tire .... finally got the bike sorted as they were busy with the race briefing for her group .... she joined the line at the far back as the front started.

She did NOT look like a "typical athlete" ....

maybe it was just the surge of adrenaline ... or maybe our stereotypical ideas are wacked .... she passed the entire field and won !!

Got my first DNF on this Epic, just after WP2 at Houwhoek on Stage 3.

Was a fantastic ride up until that point, the route was pretty darn good, Groenlandberg was incredible (was the first time up there for me), and then my heart decided to cook itself. Learnt a quick lesson about believing the numbers showing on my GPS, my partner had the good sense to actually say lets stop and check your pulse. Paramedics were there within minutes, off to the field hospital, then to ICU, Ctrl+Alt+Deleted by the cardiologist on Thursday morning and 2 hours later released to go back to the Epic in time to see Bike Wife finish the next stage.

Never really had a need for the medical staff at the Epic, but when required, they were flippin amazing.

And I have an interesting GPS download!

Tom

Got my first DNF on this Epic, just after WP2 at Houwhoek on Stage 3.

Was a fantastic ride up until that point, the route was pretty darn good, Groenlandberg was incredible (was the first time up there for me), and then my heart decided to cook itself. Learnt a quick lesson about believing the numbers showing on my GPS, my partner had the good sense to actually say lets stop and check your pulse. Paramedics were there within minutes, off to the field hospital, then to ICU, Ctrl+Alt+Deleted by the cardiologist on Thursday morning and 2 hours later released to go back to the Epic in time to see Bike Wife finish the next stage.

Never really had a need for the medical staff at the Epic, but when required, they were flippin amazing.

And I have an interesting GPS download!

Tom

**** - glad you caught it when you did. How were you measuring HR on the GPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was commenting to my training partner yesterday that all the riders seem to be so skinny. But I think that is because you only see the top riders on TV.

To the okes that were there, are there real buffalos riding this race? Like in big big boys.

This race scares the crap out of me. Dont know why. If I ever got the opportunity to ride it, I would really need to mentally prepare. Woulndt want to mind fark myself.

Edited by Vetseun

Its a funny race. You spend so much time, effort and money to get there that the last thing you want to do is have to bail because of a fall so you become ultra conservative and start to hesitate and walk things you cna normally ride. I saw it on the last day. Stuff you would normally ace you get hesitant on...

And that is when the trouble starts. You have to be confident or you run into trouble. Slow is not your friend on tech sections. OK, super fast also not.

I was commenting to my training partner yesterday that all the riders seem to be so skinny. But I think that is because you only see the top riders on TV.

To the okes that were there, are there real buffalos riding this race? Like in big big boys.

This race scares the crap out of me. Dont know why. If I ever got the opportunity to ride it, I would really need to mentally prepare. Woulndt want to mind fark myself.

And what was the last endurance event you did? Nah with a bit of skills you would find it a walk in the park.

I have noticed a couple of big big boys this year. Most of them ride within themselves without taking chances. They are the last of the last and keep it slow and steady stopping regularly to eat and drink. I think most of the dropouts overcooked it at some point and couldn't recover for the next stage.

I know of A few oomies that fall well into the Buffalo cat and they all finished , suffered but I believe they were incredibly fit and conditioned for their age and body types most them around 450th overall

Have you completed an epic?  If yes, cool, if no, please comment once you have experienced it.  I can assure you, lining up, at least once, is a massive highlight for any avid MTBer.

If I had 90 odd grand to spend on a nice little something for myself and my bicycle addiction I suspect that a trip to Europe to do some iconic rides and enjoy something different might come in higher on the list than 7 days of riding trails which, judging from the YouTube coverage, I have already ridden in other events

**** - glad you caught it when you did. How were you measuring HR on the GPS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my Sigma Rox 10. Being a typical male, lots of tapping on the screen and heart strap adjustment happened, thinking this would solve the funny readings... Lesson learnt!

post-44068-0-20342700-1553540809_thumb.jpg

I was fortunate to completed the Epic yesterday, my first one. This is truly a special race and will cherish these memories for life.

We were riding on my partners strength/limit and around the the 260 GC mark. What I did saw this last week in our group(s) are that the guys technical skills are shocking! Like in crazy k@k. I don't understand how people can buy +R100k bikes these days and don't want to spend R5k on skills sharpening.

Sometimes a bit of simple technical riding can be very intimidating for people who have little or no previous off-road experience.... ever wondered why XCO does not get so many entries?

Have you completed an epic?  If yes, cool, if no, please comment once you have experienced it.  I can assure you, lining up, at least once, is a massive highlight for any avid MTBer.

Simply not true.

It is very possible to be an avid mtb rider and not give a toss about the epic.

Have you completed an epic? If yes, cool, if no, please comment once you have experienced it. I can assure you, lining up, at least once, is a massive highlight for any avid MTBer.

It's a fairly reasonable comment he made. Epic is certainly not on my list of must do things.. Even if I was gifted an entry im not sure I'd want to do it.. But.. Not sure this is the thread to discuss that

It's a fairly reasonable comment he made. Epic is certainly not on my list of must do things.. Even if I was gifted an entry im not sure I'd want to do it.. But.. Not sure this is the thread to discuss that

It’s like comrades, every saffa should try it once....

What puts you off, other than the cost?