Cycling in Howick

I'm heading down to Howick tomorrow for a couple days and am keen to do some riding. I'm a roadie but also do a bit of MTB, whats the best bike to take down? And could I get away with a rigid singlespeed MTB on the trails there? 

Looking forward to some advice, thanks

Went to Howick about 3 years ago and did not get the opportunity to take the bike along.

Karkloof MTB trails looked sick as we were driving through the forest on our way to the waterfall.

Chatted to a bunch of them at one of the lookout points and they were all raving about the trails.

There was also a pretty big cycling centre early on the Midlands Meander road

I'm heading down to Howick tomorrow for a couple days and am keen to do some riding. I'm a roadie but also do a bit of MTB, whats the best bike to take down? And could I get away with a rigid singlespeed MTB on the trails there? 

Looking forward to some advice, thanks

Single speed I hope you are brave and extremely strong

MTB for sure. Speak to @griffin on here. He maintains the howick trails.. Which are much better then the karkloof trails imho. I don't know how much they are now but you used to pay at the hospital. There are lots of cool people who will only be too happy to take you around the trails. There is some fierce climbing if it's gonna be a single speed then make sure you have enough legs or less teeth. I'm no single speeder.... But anything more than a 32 is gonna be torture

MTB - never thought I would disagree with Stretch, but Karloof is King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB for sure. Speak to @griffin on here. He maintains the howick trails.. Which are much better then the karkloof trails imho. I don't know how much they are now but you used to pay at the hospital. There are lots of cool people who will only be too happy to take you around the trails. There is some fierce climbing if it's gonna be a single speed then make sure you have enough legs or less teeth. I'm no single speeder.... But anything more than a 32 is gonna be torture

I think you will find that people will disagree with you on that statement.

Howick is fun for sure, but better than Karkloof I think not

Edited by Robbow

Couple of single speeders in Howick. You are going to stand and pedal a lot!!!. Some of the routes are very rocky and the rigid will not be easy if you take those lines. i.e The Face. Pines or Gums routes. The rest should be do-able. 

MTB - never thought I would disagree with Stretch, but Karloof is King.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer the ethos of the howick guys... Last time I rode karkloof I felt like I was being taken for every cent in my wallet.... Trail free... I'm ok with that... Then there was a parking fee... Then a shower fee....etc etc etc...I just get a much better vibe riding howick

????

Couple of single speeders in Howick. You are going to stand and pedal a lot!!!. Some of the routes are very rocky and the rigid will not be easy if you take those lines. i.e The Face. Pines or Gums routes. The rest should be do-able.

Honesty box still at the Hospital but the trail entrance close to there has been closed (private land and they have put up a gate to try stop people dumping)

Howick Trail Head has moved to 11 Karkloof (http://www.11karkloof.co.za/directions.html) where there is also an honesty box and mobile payments via MySoS.

You have to go up to come down so there are a few hills around ;) 

And safety wise? Is it cool to just cruise around alone?

Honesty box still at the Hospital but the trail entrance close to there has been closed (private land and they have put up a gate to try stop people dumping)

Howick Trail Head has moved to 11 Karkloof (http://www.11karkloof.co.za/directions.html) where there is also an honesty box and mobile payments via MySoS.

You have to go up to come down so there are a few hills around ;)

Road is also cool. I ride there often. Can always link up with the clubs in the area and they will make a plan to include you. Let me know if I must organize

And safety wise? Is it cool to just cruise around alone?

The only unsafe thing about Howick is if you ride into an active harvesting zone.  Currently only the very north-eastern corner is being harvested.  Further north of that, in Karkloof trails, there are large areas being harvested, and roads used for hauling, so that whole area of Karkloof is closed off.

I always ride Howick alone.  You hardly ever see any other people, and the only ones you do see are cyclists and dog walkers.  One exception is west of the Curry's Post Road, where there is a bit more foot traffic between the dump and the highway; if you don't know the area rather stay between Curry's Post Road and Karkloof Road.  The trailhead at 11 Karkloof is far away from the dump, so is the best place to enter the trails.

• 1 month later...