Mid travel trail bike for longer rides/races

Wayne Kruger

150mm is close to Reign territory. I have done the same ride with a Giant Reign as with my short travel xc bike and I can tell you it makes a world of difference in 40-60km rides.

Yes you can do it but be prepared to put some serious extra effort in.

I would suggest the Trek as their suspension setup is very efficient when open and still great on the down.

You can't compare the Merida 140, or just any 140/150mm machine, to a Reign. Well, you can, but they'd be in different categories and have differetn behaviours on the trail. A

ll bikes have different characteristics, and some 160mm bikes will pedal better than other 120mm bikes, depending on their suspension characteristics, and may behave completely differently on the trail. 

The Reign is an all mountain bruiser of a bike. Go over anything, at any speed you want / can handle. Not exactly playful, and not exactly an impressive climber, but it'll get the job done and make you smile like a cheshire cat on the way down. Certain changes can be made to make it more responsive and / or poppy / playful, but as standard the Reign is still a steamroller. Merida 140 is not... Not nearly as much. A proper comparison to the reign would have been the 160, and a proper comparison for the 140 would have been a Trance.  

I'd still say that the 140 is a great all-round bike, and will serve the OP well. Another option is the 120 which will be sharper and will climb better, or a Spark (non-RC) but at the price that the Meridas are being sold at, they're extremely hard to beat. 

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the input guys. I currently have a 100mm XC bike (2014 Scott Spark 910) and want to get something a bit more playful with modern geometry but still able to spend long days in the saddle.

I agree it's the whole bike setup that makes the difference not just suspension travel. The Merida just seemed like the best value for money and the reviews state that it's perfectly fine for long days as well. In fact the Merida Team did the 2019 Cape Epic on One Twenties and won the Masters category!

If I had the bucks I would have looked at the Pyga Stage Max or Santa Cruz but they a bit pricey...

With no stock on the 120 I was considering the 140 but there is no stock either so yeah...

So now I'm deciding between the Giant Trance 29 2 and Trek Fuel EX 7, leaning towards the Giant...

YES for the giant. Great pedalling and great numbers. I think it came 2nd in the bible of bike tests recently, as well as on another publication's tests. A short travel bruiser that's not afraid to put in the long yards on tech or speed and climbing. 

Thanks for all the input guys. I currently have a 100mm XC bike (2014 Scott Spark 910) and want to get something a bit more playful with modern geometry but still able to spend long days in the saddle.

I agree it's the whole bike setup that makes the difference not just suspension travel. The Merida just seemed like the best value for money and the reviews state that it's perfectly fine for long days as well. In fact the Merida Team did the 2019 Cape Epic on One Twenties and won the Masters category!

If I had the bucks I would have looked at the Pyga Stage Max or Santa Cruz but they a bit pricey...

With no stock on the 120 I was considering the 140 but there is no stock either so yeah...

So now I'm deciding between the Giant Trance 29 2 and Trek Fuel EX 7, leaning towards the Giant...

Go for the Giant...….that Orange is Killer  :thumbup:

Another +1 for the Giant Trance - it's right on the number with modern geo, short travel - but able to handle the big stuff too! Seriously drool worthy bike!

Unless you want to progress your skills in the dh/enduro direction (it would be good if you did ad it makes you amore complete biker) then a 140 is not really necessary. The Trance is great by all accounts and will cope with quite a bit as well as race marthons efficiently.

Is it the trance 29 or the 27.5? Seem very different with 115mm or 140mm out back.

Erm.....

I recently switched from a Liv Hail (160mm all round - similar to Reign but more ladies specific) to a 2019 Trek FuelEx8 - which is 130mm all round with 29er wheels - but took a token out to make it 140mm. Made a world of difference in climbing - when I want to go and ride 40km now, the uphills are really not such a stress, but the bike is still plenty aggressive when you want it to be. It seems to be a case of that you need to really ride with a bit more technique and foresight on the 130/140 verse a 160 - as the suspension is not as forgiving as 160 (obviously) - so put it this way, your skills will go up, and you can ride further and faster, but still enjoy all the tech and jumps etc.

I recently switched from a Liv Hail (160mm all round - similar to Reign but more ladies specific) to a 2019 Trek FuelEx8 - which is 130mm all round with 29er wheels - but took a token out to make it 140mm. Made a world of difference in climbing - when I want to go and ride 40km now, the uphills are really not such a stress, but the bike is still plenty aggressive when you want it to be. It seems to be a case of that you need to really ride with a bit more technique and foresight on the 130/140 verse a 160 - as the suspension is not as forgiving as 160 (obviously) - so put it this way, your skills will go up, and you can ride further and faster, but still enjoy all the tech and jumps etc.

Yeah, the reign / hail isn't exactly an energetic pedaller ????

But! A shock change resulted in av far better pedaller and descender

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

I have a Camber with 120mm front and rear. I have not had a moment that I felt that I needed more travel. I am just as comfortable on a long ride such as Karoo to Coast, as I am on trails, including places like Hoogekraal, Contermanskloof, Jonkershoek etc.

Camber is no longer available though, but bikes with proper geometry and good groupsets, and 120mm travel will be a blast on trails, without sacrificing too much on long slogs in the saddle. 

Personally, I would not soon go for a longer travel bike myself.

Guys looking at suspension travel in MM vs bike geometry and purpose.

Get the Trance 29 and close this down. My eyes are bleeding and my brain is smoking trying to make sense of some of the comparisons!  :ph34r:

Jokes aside, an older Tranny Smuggler will give you a similar ride. Check out the Marin Rift Zone as well.... I know there are a few sitting with the local dealer. They look like fantastic bikes

Test ride both before you buy. You may like the Trek more as its suspension is a bit more active at tracking drainage and braking bumps than the Giant that gets a bit chattery.

also good deals on the treks out there.

tough choice as they're both superb bikes

AFAIK the Camber was replaced by the Stumpy ST, maybe have a look at that as well. The Trance 29er does look like the best value for money though.