Best grips for marathon rides?

Butterbean

They stop your wrist from rolling down and then over pressuring the outside of your hand. For longer rides they made a big difference for me as I really battled with wrist pain after 4 hours in the saddle

There is wrist pain and numb hands .Hands rolling down will improve with flat outer grips ,but that also puts extra weight on the ulnar nerve that runs deep in the outer part of the hand .All my bikes had ergon grips on and it dit not solve numb hands .I changed to silicon grips and grip with my thumb,forefinger and ring finger 90%of the time .As my finger strength improved and i got used to the position ,i have not had numb hands again .Rolling wrists happens when you are tired and start leaning on the bars .Only strong abdominal and back muscles will stop that happening .None of the tour de france riders use flat grips and they ride 21 days straight .Look at the video of Peter Sagan,s core strength exercise routine to see how serious they take core strength 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is wrist pain and numb hands .Hands rolling down will improve with flat outer grips ,but that also puts extra weight on the ulnar nerve that runs deep in the outer part of the hand .All my bikes had ergon grips on and it dit not solve numb hands .I changed to silicon grips and grip with my thumb,forefinger and ring finger 90%of the time .As my finger strength improved and i got used to the position ,i have not had numb hands again .Rolling wrists happens when you are tired and start leaning on the bars .Only strong abdominal and back muscles will stop that happening .None of the tour de france riders use flat grips and they ride 21 days straight .Look at the video of Peter Sagan,s core strength exercise routine to see how serious they take core strength

Yeah agreed, numbness is normally caused by too much pressure on the hands. Can be due to poor bike setup, weak core, or a bit of both.

I've been riding with Ergon for the last year or so, I won't get anything else. I even transfer them over from bike to bike  :)

But also have you had a set-up done on your bike? 

I'm having an issue with sore wrists. Been for a bike fitting and it helped but after 3+ hours on the bike my wrists get extremely painful.

Wondering if a set of the Ergon type grip will help?

ESI Chunkys ftw, the Luvhandles I tried became throttles after a couple of months, back to ESI chunkys and they are 100s

Check out SupaCaz's Siliconez SL or Grizips.

Siliconez SL

"Siliconez are the grip of choice for top world cup XC racers looking for both weight savings and performance. Feeling is beliving with Supacaz’s patented memory foam attributes that mold to your hand providing consistent grip in any condition. The shock absorbing qualities reduce fatigue of not only hands, but the entire upper body."

Grizips

"Superior hand feel that you need to feel to believe. Winner of world cups, Cape Epics, and stages of La Ruta de Conquistadores. Acclaimed by the industry leading MTB magazine:“We never had any slippage during our testing…Supacaz’s compound proved to be tacky and soft…These grips offered enough damping to get away with wearing thin gloves or no gloves at all….We did not see any wear issues after 1 month.”

https://tokencycling.co.za/product-category/accessories/mtb-grips/

Check out SupaCaz's Siliconez SL or Grizips.

Siliconez SL

"Siliconez are the grip of choice for top world cup XC racers looking for both weight savings and performance. Feeling is beliving with Supacaz’s patented memory foam attributes that mold to your hand providing consistent grip in any condition. The shock absorbing qualities reduce fatigue of not only hands, but the entire upper body."

Grizips

"Superior hand feel that you need to feel to believe. Winner of world cups, Cape Epics, and stages of La Ruta de Conquistadores. Acclaimed by the industry leading MTB magazine:“We never had any slippage during our testing…Supacaz’s compound proved to be tacky and soft…These grips offered enough damping to get away with wearing thin gloves or no gloves at all….We did not see any wear issues after 1 month.”

https://tokencycling.co.za/product-category/accessories/mtb-grips/

with all due respect, I tried one of the silicone grips that you had on an amazing special not long ago where the grip was free and you just paid shipping ... those poor grips did not last the month on my commuter before tearing apart on the ends where the outside of my palm rests.

for me, red monkeys are the best, followed closely the ESI chunkies, 

on a 2+ hour ride you will be happy you paid the extra $$$ 

Red Monkey Lock on Grips.

Good grip and chunky.

To find anyone with stock is a different story...

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/redmonkey-grip-silicone-klampz-lock-on

They advertise them, but then again they advertise everything from every supplier in SA, whether they will be able to get stock is a good question.

Would be keen to try these out once the grips on the XC bike are kapoet - might be a while though, the Oury's have been on there for 3 years and still going strong.

https://bike-addict.co.za/products/redmonkey-grip-silicone-klampz-lock-on

They advertise them, but then again they advertise everything from every supplier in SA, whether they will be able to get stock is a good question.

Would be keen to try these out once the grips on the XC bike are kapoet - might be a while though, the Oury's have been on there for 3 years and still going strong.

Thanks! Yes they've been out of stock for months now...