Friday Game: Can you guess the creak

Jako De Wet

Hi everyone, so after reading a few forum posts about this, it seems that it's either pivots or bb. There is also a creak coming from the headset. 

What are the experts take on this? The sound is only there when I apply decent power through the crank.

Bike is only 7months old.

EDIT: Can't upload the clip directly it seems, but here is a OneDrive link to the little video I recorded while riding yesterday

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtS8z4Vzkpogm09cJtEzNfxrbV1Y

Edited by Jako De Wet

Hi everyone, so after reading a few forum posts about this, it seems that it's either pivots or bb. There is also a creak coming from the headset. 

What are the experts take on this? The sound is only there when I apply decent power through the crank.

Bike is only 7months old.

Already 7 months old? Honestly it might be time for  new one, 

Sorry guys, somehow the video didn't upload.

It's complaining that I'm not permitted to upload a MP4 file?

Can't upload the clip directly it seems, but here is a OneDrive link to the little video I recorded while riding yesterday

https://1drv.ms/v/s!...09cJtEzNfxrbV1Y

Edited by Jako De Wet

Ok so I know what that sound is. Had the same issue on my brothers RM Element. The bushings on your rear triangle are not greased (This is correct). The noise you are hearing is the bushings not being torqued correctly and dust going into the bushings.

So the bushing have got a bolt and a nut side. You need to tighten it on the Nut and not on the Bolt. Took us 2 months to figure out on his Element.

A quick check is to while riding take some water and squirt it on the triangle where the bushings are. If the sound goes away then its definitely the bushings.

I am fairly certain thats the problem

Edited by MTB-More

I wanted to suggest that you start by swapping the pedals with another set and ride again and then check the sound again. Was unhappy with my LBS as they could not sort out the creak on my bike and I was sure sound came from my BB.

I serviced my pedals and saddle and the sound was gone.

However, listening to your clip I do not think your pedals are the cause of the sound.

If it creaks when you stand up and peddle then you can rule out the seat post and saddle.

Not necessarily...

Creaks are always a tricky and annoying thing to chase, especially for your mechanic....

List of things it could be;

Spokes

cassette - particularly the Sram ones that are supported at essentially one end and rely on rivets to transfer the loads

Chain - yes a chain can contribute toward a creak

freehub

skewer/thru axles

pivot bearings - commonly chased/often blamed yet not always the issue

pivot bolts - same as above

BB 

chainring bolts

pedals - can also be the cleat/shoe/pedal interface - ride with tekkies to test

seatpost + saddle, also commonly blamed

headset

fork steerer interface into crown - very rare but not unheard of

steerer to stem interface