For the love of bikepacking adventures

There's something magical about riding your bike with a planned route and everything you'll need with you. Its simplicity is rich fodder for the soul.

post-45217-0-47292000-1553868638_thumb.jpg

Over the last couple of months I've been drawn in more and more to this simplicity, and I've developed an ever growing hunger for biking adventures. I've found myself gravitating to ultra-long distances, and where the riding pushes me hard, not just physically, but mentally too. Maybe it's my age - searching for that personal next level - or the immensely satisfying feeling I get each time I reach my goal totally spent. I just love it!

I was looking for a home where I could share my ultra-distance passion so I hope you don't mind me sharing it here? From time to time I'd like to share stories about my goals and races, bike and equipment, training and some general thoughts on my experiences. I want to make it interesting, and perhaps useful for someone enjoying the same sort of riding.

First up, my race plans for 2019: (I'll talk more about each race in time)

27 April - Swartberg100 (170km)

1523 June - The 1000 Miler (1600km)

10 August - TransBaviaans (230km)

... and the big one...

17 August - The Silk Road Mountain Race (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan ~1670 km)

If you're interested in what I'm getting up you can follow me at

Twitter (@trailtrax)

Instagram (@trailtrax)

Cheers for now...

-- Rob

Edited by Rob Enslin (Trailtrax)

Welcome and I for one will be keeping an eye on this thread. Have toiled with the idea of doing some bikepacking at some stage and would like to see a local perspective. Where are you based?

Welcome and I for one will be keeping an eye on this thread. Have toiled with the idea of doing some bikepacking at some stage and would like to see a local perspective. Where are you based?

Howzit Tyron! I'm based in Stellenbosch, and do most of my riding around here. I'm in the process of designing a bike specifically for my events. I'll share more details in my next post.

There's something magical about riding your bike with a planned route and everything you'll need with you. Its simplicity is rich fodder for the soul.

Gravel-Road.jpg

Over the last couple of months I've been drawn in more and more to this simplicity, and I've developed an ever growing hunger for biking adventures. I've found myself gravitating to ultra-long distances, and where the riding pushes me hard, not just physically, but mentally too. Maybe it's my age - searching for that personal next level - or the immensely satisfying feeling I get each time I reach my goal totally spent. I just love it!

I was looking for a home where I could share my ultra-distance passion so I hope you don't mind me sharing it here? From time to time I'd like to share stories about my goals and races, bike and equipment, training and some general thoughts on my experiences. I want to make it interesting, and perhaps useful for someone enjoying the same sort of riding.

First up, my race plans for 2019: (I'll talk more about each race in time)

27 April - Swartberg100 (170km)

15–23 June - The 1000 Miler (1600km)

10 August - TransBaviaans (230km)

... and the big one...

17 August - The Silk Road Mountain Race (Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan ~1670 km)

If you're interested in what I'm getting up you can follow me at

Twitter (@trailtrax)

Instagram (@trailtrax)

Cheers for now...

-- Rob

Very nice, I'll follow this too. Btw, I follow "Endurance rides and Bikepacking" on Facebook. Some really interesting ideas, bikes, topics etc etc on there too....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and welcome Rob!

Like TyronLab I too am drawn to the idea of bikepacking and also ultra distance stuff but with a young family it isn't possible at the moment so I'll be subscribing here aswell and follow your adventures while I plan and dream of my own.

Don't give up bud, getting out there with your young family is totally doable! 

• 2 months later...

Recently looked at the map for Touwsriver/Lainsburg/Ladismith/Montagu and saw some nice looking gravel.Anybody done any bikepacking in that area?

Recently looked at the map for Touwsriver/Lainsburg/Ladismith/Montagu and saw some nice looking gravel.Anybody done any bikepacking in that area?

The best place to go as far as I am concerned.  Soul replenishment etc.

Following thread

I came across a few YouTube vids about Bikepacking a little while ago and I'm following one or two Bikepackers on IG. It's something that has caught my interest, and I think getting family involved in it is an awesome idea, even if it's planned as a family Bikepacking holiday.