GP 400km BRM 23 March 2019 - 1st timer report

NotSoBigBen

Before I start here is something to ponder on and perhaps for the knowledgable (medical and google experts alike) to please comment on:-

'How do you decide to when it's time to call it quits and stop?'

Since I had a lot of time to think about this I wondered if you wait till you are about to fall off your bike because you're dizzy or disorientated, something hurts so severely that you simply cannot continue (and no I don't mean discomfort or your backside is sore I mean like real PAIN) … it brought to mind what I read recently that most people QUIT before they FAIL

Back to how this whole thing came about, a seed was planted when sometime in February @CharlesZ posted on Fb that he and his girlfriend were going to take on this 400k unsupported RIDE towards the end of March (not a RACE). Towards the end of Feb while out on one of my many 'stoksiel alleen' early morning training rides I decide what the hell let's give it a go. I mean I had done a 300 in 2016 with my boet (ended up 335 because of a navigational error) and a 200 in 2017 on my own so how bad could it be? Applied for the necessary pinkslip which was reluctantly granted as I'd be starting at 9pm from Benoni and passing through some pretty dodgy areas in the dark possibly alone.

Training was then suitably adapted to include more distance on the road, I had 5 weeks till the event so aimed for 3 weeks of building endurance and then 2 week taper and this is how it 'went down'

Week 1

Total distance - 417k

Longest ride - 133k

Week 2

Total distance - 465k

Longest ride - 158k

Week 3

Total distance - 507k

Longest ride - 177k

Week 4

Total distance - 283k

Longest ride - 67k

Week 5 (Taper excluding the event this week)

Total distance - 63k

Longest ride - 23k

Loads of preparation, GPS map loaded to Garmin 820 and an old 310XT just in case and a 4500Mah power bank to keep the GPS running (worked fine for 16 hours after which the units own battery was still full). A 500Lumen light with 3 batteries (used 2 of those and still had a spare who knows one may have finished in the dark ;) )

Used SiS and FarBar energy bars, a combination of 32Gi Race and FiT Carbo Supreme energy drink that I had pre measured into jiffy bags. As there was a chance of rain I wore a raincoat and ensured that what I could was waterproofed (Phone and powerbanks in jiffy bags etc.)

They provide a cool tracking service, have to carry a bulky unit but well worth the trouble! My family and friends were able to track me the whole way which did also give my wife some peace of mind :)

Arrived at ProCycles about an hour before to find a few other nutters standing around getting ready, collected my brevet (the card which one must have signed at all checkpoints) and had a cuppa joe while chatting to Paul (owner of ProCycles) about our old mate Holy Roller and other arbitrary nonsense. Got all kitted up and as it is with these events set off at 9pm with 15 others quite unceremoniously (there's no starters gun or whistle just an 'OK off we go')

The group stuck together all through the dark which was pretty cool, the first few checkpoints passed by pretty uneventfully (Balfour, Vaal Truck Inn, Frankfort). I did think at times that we were going along a tad briskly and that I would not be able to keep it up for 400k's but Nardus (all round good guy and very helpful!) assured me that we should take advantage of the tailwind as the second half would be tough ('ons gaan k&k' was his exact words) didn't know at the time how prophetic that would be. so decided to hang tough and see how it goes. One does see some rather unsavory characters in those little towns in the middle of the night but besides some good natured banter and encouragement never felt unsafe or anything

Between Frankfort and Heilbron it rained, no not just drizzle full on rain but fortunately just before dawn it stopped and we had the sight of an amazing sunrise. Upon arrival at Heilbron many decided to stop for something proper to eat, I ate a cheese and tomato sandwich and had a cup of coffee, was a welcome break for energy drinks and bars! 218k's done (a slight detour due to some not trusting the GPS as we should have been at 214)

Up till now I felt good and had no problems at all … BUT here my problems would start, having been there for about half an hour I would estimate everyone was ready to leave when I suddenly felt I had to go to the bathroom. Took a little while as you need to carefully remove the reflective vest (had its own pockets with stuff in) then the raincoat with it's contents, then the shirt similarly filled and only then the bibs! All this while one is 'knyping' like a madman anyway managed in time but had one of those not sure when you finished type events … twice decided to get dressed and needed to undress again. Eventually got to the point where I felt safe enough to go out and get on my bike, by this time everyone had left.

It was now onto the next CP at Deneysville, if anyone knows the road heading out from Heilbron you will know that it's about 45k's of false flat (slight rise the whole way) and to top it off a block headwind and there I was Pat Malone! Anyway decided to just plod along, I mean it's just a ride there's no pressure and I was well within the required times for the remaining checkpoints (not allowed slower than 15k or faster than 30k average). That just over 70k stretch must be toughest I have ever experienced on a bike and took some serious will power to just keep going. I was reluctant to eat anything as I'd\rather not have to resort to a 'bossie' so just kept on drinking all the time.

I caught up to some riders at Deneysville (285 done) and left my raincoat at the office of the checkpoint garage, filled up my juices and headed out again. Was starting to feel a bit better and with only about 35k's to go to Vereeniging where I had arranged for my family to meet me I ate an energy bar or 2 and carried on with the energy drinks. About 10k's before the checkpoint I had a puncture (on my gravel bike with tubeless so no big deal), stopped sorted it and hopped back on but within minutes felt that need to hit the bushes. Another 'marathon' session ensued … when I finally decided I was OK to get back on I slowly headed towards the checkpoint.

In those few K's was where I started asking myself that question I posed at the beginning, I mean I was still able to pedal, yes lots of things were hurting but could I stop and go home with a good conscience?

My feet were burning, my backside felt like I'd spent the whole evening with Bubba in a prison cell, I was scared to eat anything else, my legs were a tad weary but I could still ride. I didn't feel like I was 'weak' or unable to concentrate.

Arrived at the checkpoint (314 done) to the welcome sight of my family, right there I decided I was not yet at the 'I can't ride any further' point, no way I was going to disappoint them either! Gave them all my superfluous gear and food/energy gels, changed my shoes which made a big difference and filled my bottles with diluted Coke. There was no bananas to buy and with only 43k's to the next CP in Heidelberg on roads I knew well and then a 'mere' 43 to the finish from there. Bid them farewell till I saw them at home later and set off on my way. With the clear mindset of it's a RIDE and I'm well within the required time and not needing to chase anything I set my mind on working where necessary but also resting on every possible downhill however short or 'gentle'. My son told me my wife wanted to go buy some bananas and then ride along to route to give them to me but my son reminded her that the no support along the route rule meant it would not be in the spirit of the event

Despite feeling a bit queasy I managed to soldier along quite nicely and arrived in Heidelberg (367 done) feeling OK but seriously hungry. Still no bananas and you'd have to buy a loaf of bread or a dozen rolls so was sitting there mixing some more diluted Coke when I saw a petrol attendant making himself a sandwich in their little kiosk place … sauntered over and offered to buy 2 slices! Nah the man said just take 2, as dry as they were they went down like a homesick mole!

Back on for that last stretch not feeling too bad considering how far I'd come and yes things were hurting all over but you know what? Yes I could still ride and at least to my mind think logically so need to get to the finish!

Finally arrived back at ProCycles late afternoon, slumped over my bars and just stood there for a while .., Nardus walked over to congratulate me on finishing and said 'if you didn't feel like that after finishing your first 400 there'd be something wrong', my first thought was WHAT people do it more than once!

There's no fanfare at the end, there's no medals handed out, there's no result sheet to go and look at but man that sense of accomplishment is hard to beat!

48d5e4f1de33276639b5605c733fb6c2.jpg07f5bcc13b397ef7aa948170234d12a4.jpg6e1e6824603ea629a185c8586132c99a.jpg

Edited by NotSoBigBen

Not the same

But you asked 'How do you decide to when it's time to call it quits and stop?'

Here is my story.

Went for a fun ride with family.

Small little 12 km warm up, spend some time on a Friday night, some drinks and eats at half way.

2 kms in sharp pain in chest, felt like a clamp been tightened. I'm at back of family group , wife and 2 sons ahead.

Stopped bike got off stood next to bike. Pain stopped, its okay just some heart burn, stomach cramps lets carry on.

First fault. Pain wasn't in tummy where heartburn etc occurs, its in chest but hey need to carry on riding.

Get on start pedaling to catch family.

200 metres sharp pain again in chest, stop bike get off its gone.

I decide enough is enough. Cant catch family but if I turn round push bike I can get back to car.

Thankfully family figures out I have dropped behind and they all come back looking for me.

I explain sons decide I must stay they will cycle back fetch car.

I'm feeling okay now but happy to not push.

Long story short Monday off to doctor, Wednesday operated on and a quadruple heart bypass performed. family has history of heart issues, father grand father and brother all died of heart attack.

Cardiologist is adamant that if I had of been stubborn and carried on riding that would have been last ride.

Recovery after surgery completed after 21 days, back at office.

Its now 5 years later, best feeling in world for me is to ride with family on weekends.

If you ask me, if it doesn't feel great, if body is complaining what should you do.

My answer is stop riding and listen to your body.

It saved me to ride again another day.

Edited by rorydewet

Not the same

Here is my story.

Small little 12 km warm up, spend some time on a Friday night, some drinks and eats at half way.

2 kms in sharp pain in chest, felt like a clamp been tightened. I'm at back of family group , wife and 2 sons ahead.

Stopped bike got off stood next to bike. Pain stopped, its okay just some heart burn, stomach cramps lets carry on.

First fault. Pain wasn't in tummy where heartburn etc occurs, its in chest but hey need to carry on riding.

I decide enough is enough. Cant catch family but if I turn round push bike I can get back to car.

Thankfully family figures out I have dropped behind and they all come back looking for me.

Long story short Monday off to doctor, Wednesday operated on and a quadruple heart bypass performed. family has history of heart issues, father grand father and brother all died of heart attack.

Cardiologist is adamant that if I had of been stubborn and carried on riding that would have been last ride.

Its now 5 years later, best feeling in world for me is to ride with family on weekends.

If you ask me, if it doesn't feel great, if body is complaining what should you do.

Glad it worked out well for you and definitely something to keep in mind, thanks!

Not the same

Here is my story.

Holy ****. Sobering tale. Thanks for sharing. 

Well done NSBB.

Longest for me is 231km, which is probably close to my “want to/need to” distance. Not sure I’d like to ride further than 250km without good reasons.

Pretty amazing to ride 400km, especially when you had to empty the tank so much - I ride what I think is regularly, 3 times a week.  I've yet to do 400 in a week.  Longest ride is the Argus on the road and 3 x 100s on the MTB a year.

But I am a quitter so it's not going to happen - I live my long rides through stories like yours and the other tough nuts who do the Munga etc.  

100 miler a more realistic target for me.  Baby steps

Nice piece Bennie - chapeau on the writing and the riding

There's no doubt about it, 400km is at the tougher end of the Audax distances. That pride you feel at the end beats any medal or fanfare IMO. It's not some everyone can do, or will every try

Well done NSBB.  A great achievement!!!

Back in 2011 - when I was young & stupid - I completed a 300km and 400km Audax in the short space of 4 weeks, nogal on my HT MTB.  Wanted to built my endurance!!!!!!

Whilst it was a comfy ride, it took me a good deal of 2 months to fully recover.

After that I only stick to the 200km efforts!!