CAPE TOWN 2 CENTURION, CYCLE4ELDERLY, RAFFLE.

CatzSpace "frail"

Something Cape Union Mart might get involved in... Or approach Rotary Newlands who organize the Argus. Maybe they would be keen to get involved.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2c on the sponsorship front.

No major corporate is going to back someone cycling on roads that are illegal to cycle on. Imagine the news article-

"Insert major corporate's name here" rider dies/is arrested while cycling illegally on N3 highway for charity.

To add further...lots of due diligence hoops to jump through.

No major corporate is going to back someone cycling on roads that are illegal to cycle on. Imagine the news article-

"Insert major corporate's name here" rider dies/is arrested while cycling illegally on N3 highway for charity.

Parts where it becomes a freeway yes but not the entire N road

Would be interesting to see what you deem as being illegal. He may have transgressed, but that can be resolved.

Remember an N route does not mean you are not allowed to cycle on it. You are only not allowed to cycle on Freeways and that definition is clear. But for those needing a simple definition any road that has another road butting up to it can be cycled on.

Freeways do not have these and are designated with  a blue sign with a bridge and either a single or a double lane under it. All other roads are open to cyclists and pedestrians.

Go through this for a full ... yadda yadda https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/157498-is-it-legal-to-ride-on-m-roads/

This Oke cycles around the country trying to raise money, but lacks any backing whatsoever as far as I can see. Must be heartbreaking to ride 4 Everests and then check your fundraising page to see that you've raised a grand, before cycling off into the Transkei without any support, backup or much of a plan, just aiming to raise money, without a lot of success if the fundraising page is the measure. Perhaps the success is measured in the satisfaction of completing the rides etc rather than money raised. A good mate of mine walked across SA a few years ago to raise money and awareness for rhino conservation and, although they only raised 20k, the success was measured more in the thousands of people they interacted with in schools, shopping centres etc to raise awareness of the plight of rhinos. 

A clear plan, a clear goal, a clear fundraising portal managed independently to provide some clarity on how donations are managed and used, supported by a clear social media strategy that updates donors and encourages more donations by showing how challenges are progressing and, more importantly, tugs at the heartstrings by showing how the money is being used by the organisations receiving the money, would really encourage people to put their hands into their pockets and support, imho. 

If fundraising is the only goal and the fundraising page is the main measure of success currently, then surely there are easier ways to raise R1000 in a month or two. This is just my opinion, but I have been observing Frail for a number of years now and have occasionally donated by buying tickets or donating when he was unable to work etc and really feel for the guy. 

Would be interesting to see what you deem as being illegal. He may have transgressed, but that can be resolved.

Remember an N route does not mean you are not allowed to cycle on it. You are only not allowed to cycle on Freeways and that definition is clear. But for those needing a simple definition any road that has another road butting up to it can be cycled on.

Freeways do not have these and are designated with  a blue sign with a bridge and either a single or a double lane under it. All other roads are open to cyclists and pedestrians.

Go through this for a full ... yadda yadda https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/157498-is-it-legal-to-ride-on-m-roads/

Not saying it is all illegal and not saying it can't be done all 100% legally. But just bringing it up as a potential stumbling block as above, due diligence etc etc and maybe something to look at before the next one.

I have cycled Durban to JHB (not for charity, just for fun) and we strung together a fully legal route.

3de65fc89b3667bc737f041320e7544b.jpg

For example that is illegal, the legal route there would be the R103 running parallel. Not hard to correct and it would be a good idea to take 2 mins and figure out a safer route. That section of road scares me because I should have died hitting a kudu at 120kmh on the N3 right there. But the laws are there to keep you safe.

I am sure companies would sponsor but due diligence should pick up this stuff.

Edited by dave303e

HELLO Everyone

Thank you for all the Feedback.

Interesting to see that the Subject in Discussion.

When my trips are planned.

The ROUTE is discussed in detail with the Provincial and Local TRAFFIC DEPARTMENTS.

I then Receive a Permit.

I Had Traffic Departments calling me Confirming my Route and Details on the THURSDAY before I was to Depart.

Thank you

"I EVAN HAD A METRO POLICE ESCOURT ONCE DUE TO SAFETY ISSUES".

If memory serves me right, this type of route selection had been raised before on another thread. I recollect Frail mentioning he had written permission from someone, Traffic dept??, to ride on such routes. Anyone?

Not saying it is all illegal and not saying it can't be done all 100% legally. But just bringing it up as a potential stumbling block as above, due diligence etc etc and maybe something to look at before the next one.

I have cycled Durban to JHB (not for charity, just for fun) and we strung together a fully legal route.

3de65fc89b3667bc737f041320e7544b.jpg

For example that is illegal, the legal route there would be the R103 running parallel. Not hard to correct and it would be a good idea to take 2 mins and figure out a safer route. That section of road scares me because I should have died hitting a kudu at 120kmh on the N3 right there. But the laws are there to keep you safe.

I am sure companies would sponsor but due diligence should pick up this stuff.

HELLO Everyone

Thank you for all the Feedback.

Interesting to see that the Subject in Discussion.

When my trips are planned.

The ROUTE is discussed in detail with the Provincial and Local TRAFFIC DEPARTMENTS.

I then Receive a Permit.

I Had Traffic Departments calling me Confirming my Route and Details on the THURSDAY before I was to Depart.

Thank you

"I EVAN HAD A METRO POLICE ESCOURT ONCE DUE TO SAFETY ISSUES".

So the KZN traffic dept gave you a permit to cycle on the N3?

• 2 weeks later...

So the KZN traffic dept gave you a permit to cycle on the N3?

Hello BigDL

Yes I was given Permission to cycle on the (N3), at certain locations.

Thank you

HELLO Everyone

RAFFLE PRIZE DRAW.

Fifth Prize #193.

Forth Prize #123.

Third Prize #95.

Second Prize #147.

First Prize #93.

The Video recordings are all available on INSTAGRAM, TWITTER AND FACEBOOK.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MY SPONSOR'S FOR THEIR CONTINUED SUPPORT.

FOR THE SECOND YEAR.

@SQ LAB.

@THE PELOTON.

@MEXICO SPUR.

THANK YOU

DAVID

• 2 weeks later...

That might be me F.R.A.I.L.

How would I have received my raffle number? I am on holiday and dont have email.

HELLO Jdwet1980

I Only had half your name to go by.

Thank you