Reba vs Fox Float 32 vs Fox Float 34

Craig Armstrong

Depends on the Revelation. The new ones are 35mm, the older ones are 32. That said, even the 32mm will be stiffer than the Reba or the 32.

34 is still first prize though, the damping is better.

Thank you. The bike I'm looking at is a 2017, so I think it's the 32. Okay, so no point bothering to make the Reba a 120 then.

I take it that a 120 Rev can't be THAT noodly then. The reviews of the bike all seem to point out the lack of stiffness in the fork, but maybe its just not GREAT, but not bad either

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The strange thing about reviews and reviewers is that they love using hyperbole to create interest in products.

The older Revelation 32 is a fantastic piece of kit. It gets the job done and the damper responds to the position of the dials. It will outperform 90% of the rider out there using it.

The biggest changes that have occurred are mostly with getting the airspring volume right and balancing it with the dampers that are specced with the fork. Once you have your fork dialed, You won't be able to tell the difference.

The fox feels a little more linear with faster ramp up toward the end of the travel, but you can get a RS to feel very similar by playing around with the Airspring volume and Compression settings on those that offer that adjustment.. 

The strange thing about reviews and reviewers is that they love using hyperbole to create interest in products.

What about people who pass off these reviews as first hand knowledge when they are actually the DEFINITION of an armchair expert?

What about people who pass off these reviews as first hand knowledge when they are actually the DEFINITION of an armchair expert?

That's sort of what I'm thinking.

I can imagine one oke saying something in his review, and a bunch of others just go read that review, and so they all pass on the same "knowledge" that just comes from one or two opinions.

That's sort of what I'm thinking.

I can imagine one oke saying something in his review, and a bunch of others just go read that review, and so they all pass on the same "knowledge" that just comes from one or two opinions.

there you go. There's a heck of a lot of that out there. Opinion is also a lot like brain washing. Tell people somethings great and 80% of people will try it and come to the same conclusion . 10% will slate it just to slate it just to be different and the rest are waiting to see or try it for themselves.

Of the various different forks I've ridden I found the best ones to be recently serviced. They're all dogs if not serviced regularly, or even worse, not set up properly.

The Revelation with 32mm stanchions is stiff but its also heavier than a SID or Reba. If you're a heavier rider then its going to be a little more precise and a little supple than a fork thats bending and twisting under you. If you're under 75kg then a lighter 32mm stanchion fork is going to be ok even in 120mm travel.

Wet noodles haven't been made since Marzocchi went under. Fork stiffness isn't nearly as big a problem as it used to be. Yes Guy Kestevan commented on the Fox 32SC feeling flexy but when you treat a XCO race forks like an Enduro fork at Enduro speeds then yes its going to be a little wanting. But also notice that everything that Guy rides is "simply suuupppeeeerrrbb" mostly because its free and its his job to say its "suuuuppppeerrrb". 

Don't get me wrong, reviews have their place, but they should never be more than 49% of your purchase decision. YOU are going to ride the equipment. Speak to guys like Droo and Robbie from Robbies Bicycle Concepts. these guys know forks and what issues you need to look out for. Far more valuable than PinkBike review regurgitation. They are my go to guys.

back to the decisions at hand....,Is a Fox 34 stiffer than a Revelation 32mm? I couldn't feel the difference. The Revelation is heavier. It has heavier lowers. The Fox 34 SC is a light weight longtravel XCM/trail fork, and Fox has never made a fork stiffer than a RS.

Are either stiffer than a Fox 32SC or RS SID, Yes  but at <75kg it doesn't bother me. 

I'd opt for the fork that is easily serviced by a service agent nearby, is tunable, cost effective to run has the features I need to get it set up right. Oh and it has to match my bike!

Its hard to go wrong with a Rock Shox or a Fox. Its easy to buy the wrong fork too. Nine times out of ten, people who cant get their forks set up properly have bought the most feature loaded fork and haven't even got the rebound properly dialled in!

Edited by DieselnDust

Went from a 120mm Reba to 120mm FOX Float 34 (performance elite model which is the same as factory sans Kashima).

Main reason was looking for stiffness but coming from a FOX before the Reba, also yearning for the plushness I had with the initial FOX - just couldn't get the Reba as smooth as the FOX... especially on small stuff.

I am a heavy rider so the 34mm stanchions made quite a difference in stiffness. The FOX 34 is also Boost, which may have added to rigidity, but not too sure about that.  

The Reba is a great fork, but in 120mm guise not a good option for heavy riders looking for rigidity when riding the rough stuff IMO.

Went from a 120mm Reba to 120mm FOX Float 34 (performance elite model which is the same as factory sans Kashima).

Main reason was looking for stiffness but coming from a FOX before the Reba, also yearning for the plushness I had with the initial FOX - just couldn't get the Reba as smooth as the FOX... especially on small stuff.

I am a heavy rider so the 34mm stanchions made quite a difference in stiffness. The FOX 34 is also Boost, which may have added to rigidity, but not too sure about that.  

The Reba is a great fork, but in 120mm guise not a good option for heavy riders looking for rigidity when riding the rough stuff IMO.

The REBA is an XC fork, its not designed for absolute stiffness but rather to strike a balance between between cost, weight and performance. The Fox 34 is a trail fork and is substantially heavier by around 200gr. A lot of the extra stiffness comes from the heavier lowers.

Which year model REBA did you have vs the Fox you replaced it with?

But since you're on the heavier side the trail designed forks will always support you a littel better than a lightweight XC fork. 

The REBA is an XC fork, its not designed for absolute stiffness but rather to strike a balance between between cost, weight and performance. The Fox 34 is a trail fork and is substantially heavier by around 200gr. A lot of the extra stiffness comes from the heavier lowers.

But since you're on the heavier side the trail designed forks will always support you a littel better than a lightweight XC fork. 

2015 Reba replaced with 2018 FOX

Still need to put the Reba up for sale at some point.

As a matter of interest, replaced my Reba RL 100 mm Boost with a Fox SC 34 Factory, they weight exactly the same, 1,61kg with through axle. 

Edited by ZXR

As a matter of interest, replaced my Reba RL 100 mm Boost with a Fox SC 34 Factory, they weight exactly the same, 1,61kg with through axle.

Seems a little too light for a sc 34 but I'll take your word on it

Seems a little too light for a sc 34 but I'll take your word on it

I have been collecting parts for a few months for a new bike build early 2020 and wanted to boast about them later but this seems a good moment to show this off - that's out the box, uncut

post-81229-0-10740400-1554304987_thumb.jpg

post-81229-0-63727300-1554305002_thumb.jpg

I have been collecting parts for a few months for a new bike build early 2020 and wanted to boast about them later but this seems a good moment to show this off - that's out the box, uncut

That's for the step-cast. Factory and performance elite model weighs the same (both with FIT4 damper and only difference is Kashima).

Mine is the standard version and comes in at 1790g (120mm Reba was about 1660g) 

That additional weight really doesn't bother me.

Step-cast makes a big difference! 

https://www.ridefox.com/family.php?m=bike&family=34s