Everesting World Record Attempt

Pall Catt

Yes this is exactly why I've decided not to do it anymore. Loveday was the best climb in Pretoria for it but by far not the best climb in the world. I would need to go to Full Upper Terry's in Australia to give this record a serious shot.

That's not going to f#$%&&ing happen

edit:oh and welcome to thehub!

Edited by juan pelota

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the whole thing about blaming the hill is a bit meh.

He really thinks that the only place to do it is the current record hill, just a bit convenient that it's half a world away. What's excellent about that one is that it's 1.3km long and 13%

so i found this one on strava in pretoria

https://www.strava.com/segments/8044962

he has the current KOM, it's 1.2km @12%

I even put it into the everesting calculator and posted it on his youtube video as a comment.

http://bit.ly/2ImNg53

am waiting for him to reply, but am starting to think

"that's not going to f#$%^#ing happen"

They call that one "The wall", it's a nasty bliksem

The problem here is that the first world are recycling, using less fossil fuels and also have a negative population growth (bar the USA which has a positive population growth due to third world immigration). The third world that is the culprit of exponential population growth is also the primary contributor of environmental destruction and pollution. 90% of the plastic in our oceans comes from third world countries that have zero regard for the environment.

So yes, the bit that you are doing towards sustainability is our duty as custodians of the planet but has absolutely zero effect in reducing global pollution and destruction.

Additionally, I put forward to you that being a vegan (on a global scale) would have a monumentally bigger negative impact on the environment than if we maintain the current meat/plant consumption ratio. The logic behind this is that calorie value in plant matter is so low compared to meat that to maintain the current global levels of an adequate nutrition as vegans, 10 times more agricultural output would be needed to produce enough food. There is simply just not enough arable land (or water) in the entire world to be able to meet such an astronomical calorie requirement sourced purely from low yield plant matter. This is just a thumb-suck/guesstimate, I am too lazy to calculate real figures, but just from looking at global stats it may not be a far out hypothesis, so, I think eating meat, like recycling, is my contribution to saving the planet.

There is so much nonsense here. Roughly 50% of carbon emissions are linked to meat production. Also, astronomical amounts of plants that are grown are to supply meat production. Best two things you/we can do for the planet are to stop eating meat and to have less children.

Could we not keep the vegan discussion to the topic already created and focus on the attempt or rather failed attempt here? At the risk of repeating the whole thing all over again ....

There was no attempt.

Yes this is exactly why I've decided not to do it anymore. Loveday was the best climb in Pretoria for it but by far not the best climb in the world. I would need to go to Full Upper Terry's in Australia to give this record a serious shot.

Why didn’t you at least do an Everest, albeit a bit slower, so that you at least have an idea about whether you can do it or not, before worrying about breaking any records.

There is so much nonsense here. Roughly 50% of carbon emissions are linked to meat production. Also, astronomical amounts of plants that are grown are to supply meat production. Best two things you/we can do for the planet are to stop eating meat and to have less children.

The absolute best thing we can do for the planet is actually going extinct all together, we humans are toxic

I say being A human

Could we not keep the vegan discussion to the topic already created and focus on the attempt or rather failed attempt here? At the risk of repeating the whole thing all over again ....

Like carbon, water, Bikehub arguments.....

Nothing new, everything gets recycled :-)

Please.... Vegan thread... Or climate change thread... Or any other thread

No problem boss

Why didn’t you at least do an Everest, albeit a bit slower, so that you at least have an idea about whether you can do it or not, before worrying about breaking any records.

Completing an Everest is not that hard with the right gearing. If I just cruise I can do it in 12 hours or so. I have an all or nothing mentality though so coming to the realization that it was not going to happen was enough for me to abandon it altogether. I should have checked more data before organizing the event. The gps made me believe 1020 meters per hour was possible for 8.75 hours but the actual data means it is difficult to hold 920 meters per hour for over 9 hours.

Completing an Everest is not that hard with the right gearing. If I just cruise I can do it in 12 hours or so. I have an all or nothing mentality though so coming to the realization that it was not going to happen was enough for me to abandon it altogether. I should have checked more data before organizing the event. The gps made me believe 1020 meters per hour was possible for 8.75 hours but the actual data means it is difficult to hold 920 meters per hour for over 9 hours.

Then do it if it is not hard. 

It's a slap in the face for any other person that successfully completed an Everest attempt as it is not easy at all like you said!!! We know you are a very strong cyclist , but don't take anything away from somebody that did complete it or attempting it to do it to say it's not that hard. It's a huge achievement and they are on the hall of fame to be respected no matter how long they took. The longer actually is a better achievement in my eyes

Edited by CharlesZ