Everesting World Record Attempt

Pall Catt

Completing an Everest is not that hard with the right gearing. If I just cruise I can do it in 12 hours or so. I have an all or nothing mentality though so coming to the realization that it was not going to happen was enough for me to abandon it altogether. I should have checked more data before organizing the event. The gps made me believe 1020 meters per hour was possible for 8.75 hours but the actual data means it is difficult to hold 920 meters per hour for over 9 hours.

That's fighting talk. Why don't you "cruise" to the SA record which as I have it is currently held by Benkie at 13.54 and done at Linksfield in JHB, see segment below.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12298453

Make noise on social when you have done it!!!!

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fighting talk. Why don't you "cruise" to the SA record which as I have it is currently held by Benkie at 13.54 and done at Linksfield in JHB, see segment below.

This will come down to his poor research skills again.  Probably didn't know about it or even consider it. 

He may be a good cyclist, but it's far easier to tell everyone about how easy it is than it is to actually do it.  What's the point of doing it if it's so easy in his head?

From my experience of actually doing it, getting to 6000ish meters is relatively easy.  It's the gap between there and the end which gets hard mentally, and has nothing to do with how fit you are or how fast you're able to ride.  Until you've had that battle you can't comment on how 'easy' it is or how you can 'cruise' it in 12 hours.

Great idea and a fine way to add some substance to what is rapidly starting to sound like hot air and excuses.

Smashing the SA record should be formailty for you and a nice way to save some face/social media reputation.

Linksfield Ridge is a 40 minute drive from Pretoria and if you time it right you should be able to do the bulk of the Everest in daylight.

Go and add some substance to your words.

Great idea and a fine way to add some substance to what is rapidly starting to sound like hot air and excuses.

Smashing the SA record should be formailty for you and a nice way to save some face/social media reputation.

Linksfield Ridge is a 40 minute drive from Pretoria and if you time it right you should be able to do the bulk of the Everest in daylight.

Go and add some substance to your words.

and the street is boomed off so there is minimal traffic

In a line, one thing that should be self-evident, but perhaps isn't...Everesting is not ascending the cumulative height of 8848m; it's ascending and descending that cumulative height.

So if you want to 'Everest' in 9 hours say, your climbing VAM can't be 8848/9=983.1 m per h. Unless you can descend instantaneously of course.

All you have to do is put one foot in front of the other. But I'm an all or nothing guy and doing it in world record time is #notgonnafuckinhappen so I'm not gonna bother.

You can't give up before you've launched a social media campaign.  Get your priorities straight man!