Rear Thru Axle too short?

IMan777

Hi Guys

I have a 2015 Specialized Stumpjumer Carbon Hardtail 29er and I had to replace my wheels.

INFO ON FRAME and REAR AXLE:

• FACT 9m carbon, 29"" geometry, FACT IS construction, tapered headtube, carbon PF30 BB, full internal shift/brake routing, 142mm dropouts, PM 160 rear brake, replaceable alloy rear derailleur hanger.
  • REAR HUB was Specialized Hi Lo disc, 4 sealed cartridge bearings, 12mm thru-axle, 32h.
  • New Roval 29 rims w/ Hi Lo hubs, 142+ rear hub spacing and 12mm axle for confident control

I decided to go with MAVIC Crossrides and at the same time upgraded to 1x12 SRAM NX groupset

I asked before I bought everything if everything would be compatible on my bike and I was assured that it would be.

The LBS now informed me that it seems  like the rear thru axle is now too short or rather doesn't grip/tighten enough.

Can someone please explain how this would be possible or what am I not understanding.

I have only received great service from the Bike shop so I am not posting this to roast the shop or anything I really just want to understand the technical aspect of what is wrong and if there is a solution or if I should be worried.

Thanks

Edited by I-Man777

maybe your answer is here?:

https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/specialized-142-rear-hub-679462.html

aparently spaz has/had their own 142+ standard:

"...Since Specialized uses their own 142+ which places the cassette 2mm farther out on the hub"

I just copy/pasted. not sure iif this is exactly what you needed but maybe it points you in the right direction

I also thought about that. But the overall hub width on 142 and 142+ remain the same.

I was thinking that it might have something to do with the new RD, rather than the new wheels; but I can’t see how

Edited by Pulse

Have to say had a HT Stumpy 2015 change the wheelset to AC wide lightning and groupset to xx1 with no issues.

If memory serves correctly the rear axle goes into the frame for a flush fit so it's not just a case of just replacing the axle either. All I can think of is that the hub is to wide.

Just had a look and it should be the same frame the older gen had QR.

The derailleur has nothing to do with the axle. Axle only goes through the hanger unless they have changed the hanger as well. But my best guess would still be there's either a extra spacer somewhere or the hub is to wide.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am also leaning towards a spacer issue. From what I have read the Mavics should come standard with a bunch of adapters and spacers.

I really hope it is a simple easy fix..

Did you supply the wheels or did they source for you?

The BikeShop had the MAVIC wheels in stock and on special.

They said it would be compatible with my SPAZ frame.

From your diagnoses, it seems every thing works apart from the axle.

Why not get a boost axle maybe?

From your diagnoses, it seems every thing works apart from the axle.

Why not get a boost axle maybe?

you don't want to put any unnecessary stress on those frames, don't let the name fool you the Stumpjumper HT is the complete opposite of the dual. In the manual it even states in bold not for jumping. That's where we parted I knew it was not going to make it. As for a flat out race bike it is great very stable at speed and with a few upgrades got mine down close to 9kg with pedals.

you don't want to put any unnecessary stress on those frames, don't let the name fool you the Stumpjumper HT is the complete opposite of the dual. In the manual it even states in bold not for jumping. That's where we parted I knew it was not going to make it. As for a flat out race bike it is great very stable at speed and with a few upgrades got mine down close to 9kg with pedals.

I agree.

I would rather get the shop to swop the rear wheel out for a normal non-boost 142 or 142+

I understand, but if the boost hubs fit the frame, then surely adding a boost axle should be fine.

Op is it a struggle to get the wheels in, or did they slide in like normal

Thanks for all the feedback Guys!

BIKESHOP sorted me out! 

They gave me a big discount on HOPE Tech Enduro Pro 4 wheelset.

Everything is perfect now!

Just had my first ride!

I am still smiling!