Tacx indoor tyre woes

mecheng89

Good afternoon folks! 

Hope you're all having a great Sunday.

Had this Tacx indoor tyre since mid-December 2018. Then after my session on Thursday evening I noticed a very small bubble forming in the tyre. This after I took the tyre off hoping the tube underneath was bust. Turns out the tube was flawless, and my tyre is de-lamitating. This is my second Tacx tyre. 

Has this happened to other Tacx tyre users before? Is there a better tyre on the market? Do these new tyres come with a warranty? 

I usually run it between 7-8 bar on a Tacx Genius Smart trainer, doing TR workouts at night.

post-63970-0-16928900-1554644057_thumb.jpeg

post-63970-0-17764600-1554644064_thumb.jpeg

My tyre also has those cracks in it - Its still runnong though so ill see how long it lasts. 

The small bubble you refer to in your top pic seems to be a wear spot which happens if you stop or brake the wheel to fast, the roller on the trainer keeps turning due to the inertia so it kind of burns or wears a spot on the tyre - Happened to me lots of times when using a normal tyre so now i dont pull my brakes to stop the trainer

I’ve never used a specific IDT tyre, use my normal continental tyres and never had a problem other than after a year or so they become a bit square... flat tread

The problem I've experienced with a traditional on the road tyre is that it slips. I have a wheel-on smart trainer. Perhaps my tension is incorrect?

I just use old gatorskin tyres. Like mentioned, they just go square.

Using a old powerbeam pro which is similar to yours and no isses with slipping.

I found if it slips I normally run the tire pressure too low. Other than that I've never bother with a Tacx specific tire - have a specialized slick and have been using it for close to 3 years now  :w00t:

The problem I've experienced with a traditional on the road tyre is that it slips. I have a wheel-on smart trainer. Perhaps my tension is incorrect?

I used normal road tyres for a while and once I got to about 20 hours per month the tube would eventually wear through after 3 months.  Even baby powder inside the tyre didn't help to reduce friction.  A new tube would last a week then I would change the tyre.

I don't have a taxc tyre but I do have an IDT specific tyre, think it is a conti but its at home and I'm at work so can't confirm.

Been using that since October 18 so far so good, it is marked for IDT use only and feels more "sticky" than a normal road tyre.

I used normal road tyres for a while and once I got to about 20 hours per month the tube would eventually wear through after 3 months.  Even baby powder inside the tyre didn't help to reduce friction.  A new tube would last a week then I would change the tyre.

I don't have a taxc tyre but I do have an IDT specific tyre, think it is a conti but its at home and I'm at work so can't confirm.

Been using that since October 18 so far so good, it is marked for IDT use only and feels more "sticky" than a normal road tyre.

Yup, it's a conti IDT tyre.  Hard shiny rubber and it's a mission to put on the rim.  Those do seem to last forever.