Sram Eagle NX rant & rave

Red Bird

I rode a Sram equipped bike for the first time last week - it has the NX Eagle setup, whereas I have 1x11 XT on my own bike.

I found the rear mech to be really noisy on the descents - is that normal ?

(Shimano has the switch for the clutch, not Sram)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode a Sram equipped bike for the first time last week - it has the NX Eagle setup, whereas I have 1x11 XT on my own bike.

I found the rear mech to be really noisy on the descents - is that normal ?

(Shimano has the switch for the clutch, not Sram)

SRAM the clutch is on all the time

and when you say noisy? Do you mean chain slap?

All of the above broken derailleurs broke due to incorrect installation.

If it ain’t broken don’t mess with it

Rather spend your time training and riding your bike, instead of stripping things unnecessarily.

Been riding bikes since 19voetsak and only once have I ever removed pulley wheels, after that I decided there is absolutely nothing to them and no need to ever remove again.

Have I ever lost a pulley wheel while riding..... nyet

Edited by SwissVan

Rather spend your time training and riding your bike, instead of stripping things unnecessarily.

Been riding bikes since 19voetsak and only once have I ever removed pulley wheels, after that I decided there is absolutely nothing to them and no need to ever remove again.

But then..... always used shimano

Only the last 1.5 months with SRAM on my new mtb...

I use both sram and shimano. Personally I prefer shimano. I dont mind sram either and will also use sunrace( I have in the past) and other products.

The rapid fire shifters of shimano i like alot especially the ability to shift down using either side of the down shift lever on mtb.

I have yet to have any issues with shimano or sram gear set.

I have been riding my 1 x 12 GX for about 5000 km (touching wood),

I also notice more gunk on my jockey wheels than previous Shimano, but also mostly due to using too much Squirt - I now do my chain cleaning the Squirt recommended way....(There is a forum chat on this...) https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181180-mtb-chains-to-de-grease-or-not-to-degrease/

After my first 1000 to 2000km I removed the jockey wheels to clean and noticed a bit of grass wrapped around the inner pivot/jockey wheel bolt so it is not a bad idea to remove and clean but a MUST to reassemble correctly...

So here’s a more complete story:

Bolt fails (who knows when) but stays intact until it falls out in the bakkie (only to be discovered after the race the next day). Test gears during 20min warm-up the next day with nothing to suspect that something is wrong. Race starts and somewhere the upper pulley falls out. Approach a rock garden where the inner cage swung around and hit a rock, damaging the cage and bending the hanger. Bike now at LBS for further inspection to see if the outer cage was also bent. They offered to replace the inner cage at their expense as it was serviced by them last week and would rather not lose a client (they did swear that they never removed any pulleys). However, if the outer cage is damaged beyond repair they will have to replace entire derailleur and I will have to chip in as well - this is mountainbiking afterall... Seems fair to me as both parties are responsible to keep a bike in running order...

So here’s a more complete story:

Bolt fails (who knows when) but stays intact until it falls out in the bakkie (only to be discovered after the race the next day). Test gears during 20min warm-up the next day with nothing to suspect that something is wrong. Race starts and somewhere the upper pulley falls out. Approach a rock garden where the inner cage swung around and hit a rock, damaging the cage and bending the hanger. Bike now at LBS for further inspection to see if the outer cage was also bent. They offered to replace the inner cage at their expense as it was serviced by them last week and would rather not lose a client (they did swear that they never removed any pulleys). However, if the outer cage is damaged beyond repair they will have to replace entire derailleur and I will have to chip in as well - this is mountainbiking afterall... Seems fair to me as both parties are responsible to keep a bike in running order...

Sounds like it's still a Sram issue... Bolts shouldn't fail that easily and this is not the only case. 

Sounds like it's still a Sram issue... Bolts shouldn't fail that easily and this is not the only case.

I agree.

• 2 months later...

After having mine for a while I'd say it works as well as SLX. No hassles but have noticed the chain does rust up pretty quick after a wash down. I do dry and lube but that surface rust is there and not going any where.