Carrying a smallish camera on those long trails

Sbloomer

I find a camera has no positive effect on my riding. The only thing it's good for is boring all my friends and IG followers with the same sunrise/sunset side bike/butt photo's that every other cyclist also uploads.....  :ph34r:

The point of lugging a camera such as a DSLR etc. around makes this ride a photographic sojourn more than another normal ride. Also, the whole point of this mission would be to not take the pics you could as easily take with a go-pro, or just your mobile.

You would think of such things as composition etc. You would spend more time looking at your surrounds from a photographer's perspective. Note the small things, the things you normally don't see as you come bombing down the trail etc. Stop and smell the roses. And take time to compose, and settle on that one shot that will make all your IG followers gush at your brilliance, if you're into that type of thing.

Or, just see the world you are so used to seeing from Strava, through the eye of a camera lens.

Here's a challenge. For once, take a pic with something that is NOT a mobile telephony device.

Don't post it. Anywhere. Just keep it, and cherish your own creativity. If you must, show your significant other. (unless you're taking pics of Caro Ferrer's bottom. Then you're obliged to post...)

Also, no pics of your bike, your legs, no selfies, no coffee etc. 

Taking pictures does not have to be a social media event to be appreciated. Like riding your bike without a heart rate monitor or Strava, or even any mates around.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahaha it's usually butt foto's of other dudes, lets be honest, often referred to these days as 'the squad' or 'the crew'. Most of said squads have 'goals' and their attire is often 'on point' or 'fleek'. I should also add the Chappies descent selfie or pedaling sock photo to these action packed sagas, as well as the GPS, gloves and helmet sat next to a cup of coffee....

I think I've covered the reason for 99% of the additional camera for 99% of cyclists

Pheeew!

I've seen guys this side riding with full on DSLR's attached to their hydration pack straps.  I'm not sure I would like my DLR exposed to the dust etc - but I guess there are options for dust prevention as well...

I assume they are using something like this:  https://www.peakdesign.com/products/capture

Should work even better with a smaller camera - so long as it has a tripod mount hole.

I mostly use the spare phone, as it provides connectivity and a camera ... pics are hit and miss though ...

For shorter rides I often take a Canon P&S camera with.

But sometimes I just MISS the quality of a proper DSLR ..... would be nice to have a decent camera in the size of a P&S ....  I use the "G" series of Canon at work, very nice quality pics !  But this is a heavy piece of kit to lug about, and not something you want to damage in a tumble ....

I mostly use the spare phone, as it provides connectivity and a camera ... pics are hit and miss though ...

For shorter rides I often take a Canon P&S camera with.

But sometimes I just MISS the quality of a proper DSLR ..... would be nice to have a decent camera in the size of a P&S ....  I use the "G" series of Canon at work, very nice quality pics !  But this is a heavy piece of kit to lug about, and not something you want to damage in a tumble ....

D30. Thank us later. 

D30. Thank us later. 

Seems this has been discontinued ....

Will walk over to ORMS tomorrow and hear what they say ...

I use my gopro small enough to put in the back pocket. Obviously not the greatest quality pics but ok for me

D30. Thank us later.

Outdated and average on land

Land is land and sea is sea

Fuji xt 10 or 20 mirrorless are small and light with interchangeable lenses.

Bargains now that xt30 is out

If you want decent pics carry a decent camera

And if you are used to decent DSLR cameras with proper lenses .... these little cameras are barely okay for memory shots .... and if it is memory shots only, well then the cell-phone does the job ....

and still, sometimes there is that "view" along a ride that BEGS to be printed in large format ...

And if you are used to decent DSLR cameras with proper lenses .... these little cameras are barely okay for memory shots .... and if it is memory shots only, well then the cell-phone does the job ....

and still, sometimes there is that "view" along a ride that BEGS to be printed in large format ...

Nope you wrong

Have a look at some of the sheriff's work with Fuji mirrorless cameras

Edited by Kranswurm

Nope you wrong

Have a look at some of the sheriff's work with Fuji mirrorless cameras

Ouch ... sorry, think we are on the same page ....

I was refering to the typical P&S cameras ... as P&S is physically the size limitation for longer rides...

At R10k+ the various mirror less cameras certainly offer better quality than most bridge cameras !

The point of lugging a camera such as a DSLR etc. around makes this ride a photographic sojourn more than another normal ride. Also, the whole point of this mission would be to not take the pics you could as easily take with a go-pro, or just your mobile.

You would think of such things as composition etc. You would spend more time looking at your surrounds from a photographer's perspective. Note the small things, the things you normally don't see as you come bombing down the trail etc. Stop and smell the roses. And take time to compose, and settle on that one shot that will make all your IG followers gush at your brilliance, if you're into that type of thing.

Or, just see the world you are so used to seeing from Strava, through the eye of a camera lens.

Here's a challenge. For once, take a pic with something that is NOT a mobile telephony device.

Don't post it. Anywhere. Just keep it, and cherish your own creativity. If you must, show your significant other. (unless you're taking pics of Caro Ferrer's bottom. Then you're obliged to post...)

Taking pictures does not have to be a social media event to be appreciated. Like riding your bike without a heart rate monitor or Strava, or even any mates around.

I suppose I don't really take 'pictures' with anything.

I don't use STRAVA, I don't successfully social media, I don't have 'stats' and I don't really care for any of that.

I ride/run up the mountain pretty much every day, usually alone and take pictures with my eyes, enjoy the moment, listen to my body and have loads of fun.

I am not governed by Discovery points, IG, being cool or STRAVA stats. I seldom 'race' and the events I do are usually because they are rad. I am a very rose smelling kind of person.

So I accept your challenge. I however don't own a camera so will just continue to take rad pictures with my eyes and my mind. 

I was really just making a joke about how guys will spend 70 000 zar making their bike lighter then lug around a camera for 'bangers'... There is always art, but for that a small enough camera sans tri pod won't be too much better than a phone these days.

I'm wasn't not judging, but rather being light heartedly facetious  :blush:

I'm wasn't not judging, but rather being light heartedly facetious  :blush:

I LOVE taking photos, from family pics, to animals, to landscapes ... even taken on a few assignments ....  Getting on top of a small mountain before sunrise, set up two tripods and two DSLR cameras.  Then take multiple photos, digitally stitch the RAW photos to create a 1Gig photo printed for a 20m long mural.  MAN, that is a mother of an adrenaline rush !!  Cant wait to get back to the Northern Cape,  Want to get back to the SAME spot a year later and take another 1,7Gig photo of a new plantation ....  Imagine a photo wide enough to cover a stretch of landscape 3km wide, but with enough detail to clearly detail each irrigation valve ....

So when I cycle, I often slow down, even stop to admire the totally unique perspective we get of the city landscapes from our MTB routes.

The sun breaking through the early morning fog .... the dew drops on the autumn leaves ....

So I do take a fair number of cell pics to get some memory shots .... as a cyclist I enjoy these pics, as a photographer the photo quality hurts ....

I LOVE taking photos, from family pics, to animals, to landscapes ... even taken on a few assignments ....  Getting on top of a small mountain before sunrise, set up two tripods and two DSLR cameras.  Then take multiple photos, digitally stitch the RAW photos to create a 1Gig photo printed for a 20m long mural.  MAN, that is a mother of an adrenaline rush !!  Cant wait to get back to the Northern Cape,  Want to get back to the SAME spot a year later and take another 1,7Gig photo of a new plantation ....  Imagine a photo wide enough to cover a stretch of landscape 3km wide, but with enough detail to clearly detail each irrigation valve ....

So when I cycle, I often slow down, even stop to admire the totally unique perspective we get of the city landscapes from our MTB routes.

The sun breaking through the early morning fog .... the dew drops on the autumn leaves ....

So I do take a fair number of cell pics to get some memory shots .... as a cyclist I enjoy these pics, as a photographer the photo quality hurts ....

This is the reason I said 99% and not 'all'... There are always exceptions to the rule.

I appreciate a good picture. Hell, I even hire Antti Viitala to take the pictures for my company website.

But I am bored of general social media cycling pics... The market is saturated and it's just same same same same... It's a bit like all these comic book movies. I enjoyed the first 3... now it's all you see. Remakes of good movies and remakes of comic books. 

I have completely derailed this thread. Sorry.

As you were 

:offtopic:

Fair enough. I just know that the d30 was a juggernaut in it's time. But that was 6 years ago. ????

I'm seriously considering getting me one of these on Bid or Buy. 

I have used Bid or Buy plenty of times before and they are reliable, just wait for it to come up on auction again. One sold on Friday for R51 excluding shipping: 

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/407792877/Quelima_SQ11_Mini_Camera_1080P_HD_DVR.html