Race to the sun

bluewhite

I am looking for an entry please ?

Still looking for one? PM me, can't do the race anymore as I am out of the country

Edit:  My entry has been sold

Edited by PieterJvR

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

any recommendations on tyre pressure on a dual sus?

Highly dependent on the kind of tyres you are running. I would recommend the same kind of pressure you’d be running on a normal day out plus a little bit.

any recommendations on tyre pressure on a dual sus?

Depends on your weight. I rode some of the route two weeks ago and the corrugation is brutal in places.

I weight 82 kg and normally run 1.6 bar in the front. I would drop that to 1.4 to cater for the corrugation

Depends on your weight. I rode some of the route two weeks ago and the corrugation is brutal in places.

I weight 82 kg and normally run 1.6 bar in the front. I would drop that to 1.4 to cater for the corrugation

Brutal corrugation concerns me greatly... how long were these section in terms of the total route?

Brutal corrugation concerns me greatly... how long were these section in terms of the total route?

I did the Chameleon Brewery ride which shares a lot of the same route. We encountered around 6km of corrugated roads so my guess is that on RTTS you'll have 6-10km of speed bumps.

All straight district roads so I would drop my pressure to 1.2 - 1.4 to cater for corrugation (even on a dual sus)

You reckon its only 6 to 10km of severe corrugations over the entire route or do you reckon there's a lot more?

I wonder how the gravel bikers are going to do if there is a lot more...

Edited by MudLark

You reckon its only 6 to 10km of severe corrugations over the entire route or do you reckon there's a lot more?

I wonder how the gravel bikers are going to do if there is a lot more...

Can’t seeing being it much more, max 20km

Groaders are gonna *** off

• 2 weeks later...

Shew. There were a lot of quite dodgy roads and the corrugations and sand was no fun. Glad I ran it on a dual sus with 2.25 tyres. May be faster on a gravel bike but way more fatigue too and a lot more crash risk IMHO. Quite an interesting and enjoyable ride. Organisation was okay. Last food table was a real disappointment but others were good. Lack of clarity and poor instructions as to what to expect etc are my biggest gripes. Eg no telling us about the jacket drop.

Hope they keep it as a winter ride. Must be a very hot ride in summer.

Edited by MudLark

Great ride, first and halfway stops where decent, end was a bit confusing with no instructions, I got my free beers and t-shirt but missed the free burger........

Happy with my time and met some good people, I also hope it remains a winter ride

Missed the free burger. I asked about the burger and was told R45. My thoughts are unprintable now that I'm told it was supposed to be free. Instructions were very poor on part of Advendurance. Just one simple thing: Who knew about the jacket drop? And where to collect afterwards? No messaging about free burgers. Etc. Could be a lot better done in terms of communications.

Racetime say I'm still out there riding.[emoji849] Guess I'll have to send them my GPX file.

but missed the free burger........

WTF! There were free burgers... I'm going back to Sun City to fetch mine  :w00t:

All in all I really enjoyed the race. Had an unexpectedly good ride and managed to average 25km/h when I struggled to hold 20km/h on a training ride to the Vaal Dam last weekend.

Comms could be better but organisation wasn't bad. Only gripe with the water points was the total lack of any protein - I need boerewors to keep me going (or is that just a berg and bush thing?).

If anyone has it, please post a link to where to find the photos that were taken.

Edited by Nakoota

It was a pretty fun race!

The first 100km was pretty fast and then the grind really started. I would of appreciated if it took us through the main entrance of Sun City for a more of a grand finale.. The last loop around the back with those climbs felt unnecessary..