Buffelsdrift tips and tricks

boesman88

Hi all

Did my first ride at Buffelsdrift on Saturday and as expected I had lots of fun.

Half way in on the Buffel however things got a little more serious when I ignorantly chose the ‘Route 1 Black’ section with the pointy picture on it. At first it was fun but then I had to go down some pretty serious rocky sections, which I managed (thankfully) - but then came this stupid sheer drop rock face section where mountain goats do not dare to climb. Do you people ride down this stuff?

Give me some tips on how to approach that part please? I had to do a one foot-polka down there as I slipped and slid to the bottom. Might also be interesting to share your thoughts on other tricky sections and how best to tackle them?

Maybe not tips but I normally do the Zebra (30km) first and on the second lap do the Impala (20km) which gives you the same distance as the Buffel.  Has a nice climb in the beginning, RockstoCrocs, Okkies climband the supertube at the end.  Find it a much nicer combination and just as challenging as the Buffel...but all rideable.

Hi all

Did my first ride at Buffelsdrift on Saturday and as expected I had lots of fun.

Half way in on the Buffel however things got a little more serious when I ignorantly chose the ‘Route 1 Black’ section with the pointy picture on it. At first it was fun but then I had to go down some pretty serious rocky sections, which I managed (thankfully) - but then came this stupid sheer drop rock face section where mountain goats do not dare to climb. Do you people ride down this stuff?

Give me some tips on how to approach that part please? I had to do a one foot-polka down there as I slipped and slid to the bottom. Might also be interesting to share your thoughts on other tricky sections and how best to tackle them?

are you referring to the Enduro lines on Maniac section? If so, there is a b-line that is easier than the a-line with no drop offs.

@worriesnot- That might be what I am referring to. I was very happy with the A line, will do it again, just couldnt ride down the one section properly- i dont have a dropper post which would have made things a little easier. Was just wondering how you guys approach that particular section, approach, speed etc

Edited by boesman88

Straight down the middle - control decent speed by lightly pumping rear brake - get your bum as far back and as low as possible (no dropper post needed).

Yea I like my bike... that's why I dont go to Buffelsdrift anymore. Every single time I went there something broke,bent or scratched. (Referring to the Buffel trail itself as I haven't done any of the others there)

Yea I like my bike... that's why I dont go to Buffelsdrift anymore. Every single time I went there something broke,bent or scratched. (Referring to the Buffel trail itself as I haven't done any of the others there)

I regularly ride at the Big Red Barn, and for some reason I also often end up with a nic and scratch as you mention, but experienced non of that on the buffel which is weird coz the terrain is much more rocky

Yes, that's the A-line section on the Maniak trail. That last drop I don't think is rideable without a dropper post, for anyone of average skill level... and I don't mean average in a negative way. For something that steep you need your weight way back and your saddle will just make it difficult, although not impossible.

Yes, that's the A-line section on the Maniak trail. That last drop I don't think is rideable without a dropper post, for anyone of average skill level... and I don't mean average in a negative way. For something that steep you need your weight way back and your saddle will just make it difficult, although not impossible.

I certainly do need a dropper post for that- that way I’ll avoid that very uncomfortable punch-in-the-stomach feeling when the saddle pokes you in the wrong place as it did on saturday... know what I mean

I ride all of Buffelsdrift often .They are building enduro sections so you might have wandered onto them .As for the A and B line .I just walk those drop offs you are talking about.I have no Ego issues .Those rocks at the bottom are way to pointy for my liking .The A line is the only drop -off i don,t ride ,but i have seen it done successfully with your weight behind the saddle and commitment .

Edited by arendoog

It can be hard on tires ,but the trails are superb 

Speakinf of Buffels. has anyone done the Nguni Route.

Apparently you can now combine buffels + Nguni for a 85km ride, its called Bafuni route

Have done Nguni before, if you want distance with less climbing then you can add Nguni to your ride.  Have done the Bafuni before.  However the Nguni route is nothing like the existing trails where technicality or climbing is concerned.  I think it is 300m elevation on the long Nguni (50km), and there is nothing technical on it.

Speakinf of Buffels. has anyone done the Nguni Route.

Apparently you can now combine buffels + Nguni for a 85km ride, its called Bafuni route

I rode the route plenty in the first 2 months of the year .Really good training and there are two water points on route 

Not tips or tricks but is this: https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/Buffelsdrift+Mountain+Bike+Park,+Plot+52,+Buffelsdrift+Conservancy,+Buffelsdrift+St,+Pretoria,+0130,+South+Africa/@-25.5986896,28.3265209,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x1ebfe7128296c2a9:0x376c97a5b4589855?hl=en-za&gl=kw the place you guys are talking about?

Edit:Not sure if the url is working but on Google it is called Buffelsdrift mtb park.

Edited by Pieter1

Hi all

Learn to ride the tech stuff. Look for Skillup MTB on Facebook.

The photo was taken at Hakahana.

post-16912-0-60652000-1555324840_thumb.jpg

Edited by Reden