Brake hose rub on carbon frame

OnTheRicky

I upgraded my brakes about a month or two ago and didn't do the new installation myself. 

First time I looked at the bottom of my bike in a while and I noticed a lot of damage to the frame where the cables have been rubbing. 

Is this something to be worried about? 

post-57732-0-38025400-1555337353_thumb.jpg

From a structural point of view:

• It can become a weak spot on the frame but you also have the crank providing some integrity to that area so will it lead to failure? Difficult to say, it could last for years or it can create a failure point where a crack originates from. 

From a cosmetic point of view:

• It does look k@k but at least its at the bottom of the frame, if someone notices it it either means you ran that person over or you came off the bike. Neither of which is advised  :whistling:.

What would I do if it was my bike? I will get something between the two parts which are rubbing at present. Something like that sponge tape that looks like double sided tape. After which I will forget about it until it becomes a major issue  :thumbup:

...makes mental note to always ride steel frame bicycles :ph34r:

to be serious though..might be the angle or pic but that looks relatively deep considering the BB cup/bearings sit right underneath that area...so probably the thinest part of the BB on a carbon frame? Would that literally just be from the rear suspension moving about and turning the cable into a cable saw?

id also drop some CA glue on the bare carbon or some nail polish just to seal it up and then put something in between for sure.

If that's a dual suspension you may need to replace the brake hose to make it longer. I had a similar issue with a derailleur cable that was too short and the problem was when the suspension compressed the cable route got longer and that meant the cable was reaching the end of its free play and was being gouged into the frame with the full leverage force of the frame compressing.

That may also explain why the frame has been eroded to that severe degree in such a short time. If that is the case then the bike shop really dropped the ball because they of all people should know how important it is to get the hose length right.

Edited by Skylark

• 1 month later...

Had the same problem with my bike recently, just over a year old, took it back to the LBS that built it, they claimed it’s a maintenance issue... They sent it in for carbon repair and then charged me for the longer cables to stop it from doing more damage... not sure I will be going back in a hurry... ????????‍♂️

post-69086-0-38378900-1560013170_thumb.jpeg

Had the same problem with my bike recently, just over a year old, took it back to the LBS that built it, they claimed it’s a maintenance issue... They sent it in for carbon repair and then charged me for the longer cables to stop it from doing more damage... not sure I will be going back in a hurry... [emoji2371]

Yoh. That’s all the way through.

Cheap way just put some insulation tape over the frame to prevent further wear. When the tape starts wearing or peals just replace. If you can get your hands on helicopter blade tape or anti chafe tape, even better. 

Add a bit more slack in the brake line too.

Get 3m helitape, apply helitape. Or realize that an entire invsiframe is actually a good investment.

Step one is to get your hose length right.

Step 2 is to ride your bike and not worry about spoeg en plak fixes, cos if the hose is the right length it won't rub.

Poor detailing by the frame designer. They should have anticipated common maintenance errors and designed it out.

Doesn't help you now though.

Step one is to get your hose length right.

Step 2 is to ride your bike and not worry about spoeg en plak fixes, cos if the hose is the right length it won't rub.

Couldn't agree more.. Sadly my LBS felt that it was better to try and save themselves the R 1500 charged for the repairs and blamed me for lack of maintenance of my bike. 

I should have fought it more, at the time I had larger issues i was dealing with, but I figured lesson learnt, they will not be getting my business in future. 

Couldn't agree more.. Sadly my LBS felt that it was better to try and save themselves the R 1500 charged for the repairs and blamed me for lack of maintenance of my bike.

I should have fought it more, at the time I had larger issues i was dealing with, but I figured lesson learnt, they will not be getting my business in future.

Name and shame.