New Quicklink every time the chain is un-done?

mecheng89

Good evening folks,

Bicycle parts agent I know told me this weekend that a Quicklink is only meant to be "used" once ie. if you take your chain off your bike you should chuck the old Quicklink and use a new one. Is this really the case? 

I wash my chain after almost every ride, so does that mean I need to fit a new Quicklink every single time I remove the chain for a thorough clean?

I throw them away when I get a new chain. I have had a link snap on me in a race. Also one come undone in another race.

In practice, I’ve found that I can reuse quick links. I remove chains for cleaning all the time, and have been doing so for a few years now without having any issue with a quick link. I’ve used the 11 speed KMC, Shimano and Sram quick links. In my experience, they’re exactly the same thing. I do use a new quick link for a new chain.

Edited by TomR

Good evening folks,

Bicycle parts agent I know told me this weekend that a Quicklink is only meant to be "used" once ie. if you take your chain off your bike you should chuck the old Quicklink and use a new one. Is this really the case? 

I wash my chain after almost every ride, so does that mean I need to fit a new Quicklink every single time I remove the chain for a thorough clean?

Depends on the quicklink, wear and riding. Truthfully theres absolutely no need to remove the chain to clean it or even to clean it after just about every ride.

A pipe with a cloth or two dry nail brushes is just fine with a light lube after. Holding the brushes together whilst back pedalling the chain.

If it was a long/dirty ride, soak the brushes in degreaser and do as above.

Rinse, wipe down with a cloth and lube once dry. 

Won't a new quick link every time make the chain wear/stretch uneven over the cassette/chainring? 107 at 0.3 and one link brand new....

You get the old SRAM ones the you bent which 'clicked' in place which were a 'use once' item, the the one that slots together then pulls apart should surely be used with the chain from 1st installment to last?

Apparently there was a lawsuit a few years ago and some brands are not allowed to sell or market their quick links as being reusable, terms of the settlement is they must be sold and marked as single use despite them being reusable.

I've reused all mine from various manufacturers without any issue.

One thing I can recommend is to get a set of quick link remover pliers, best ever invention because those little bastards can get locked really tight together.

Why are you washing your chain after every ride?

I reuse quick links when cleaning the chain etc. but throw out the quick link when I replace the chain. 

I generally keep one "69" style Quick Link for the life of a chain. I use it to remove the chain for cleaning and maint. (I don't remove the chain after every ride mind you), and I've never had a problem.

As a Mountain Bike Guide sometimes riding in quite remote areas I also carry a couple of spares and a chain-breaker for emergencies.

stop washing your chain so much its a road bike you are arent a mudbunny :whistling:

once again, super helpful and relevant to the question asked - so predictable.

@Mecheng, if reliability (like during a race) is a major concern, replace it frequently to your discretion. Personally, I've only replaced 1 SRAM Powerlink since around 2013. It's come undone once during riding, coincidentally riding lightly on flat paving, but no issues any other time. I don't think I've detached the link more than 15 times during this period.

My point is, I believe detaching them frequently causes wear and reduced reliability, but can be ignored for the most part!

Edited by Dirkitech

I think that it is a question of interpretation. I personally interpret "once" to mean per chain, whereas some interpret it to mean everytime you remove it. I will typically remove a chain at least 50 times during it's lifespan, which will mean spending about R2500 on quicklinks. I don't think so.

I use one link for each chain.  When the chain is dead, so is the link.  But during the life of the chain I'll undo the link and reattach it as many times as I like.  It's never been an issue. 

once again, super helpful and relevant to the question asked - so predictable.

@Mecheng, if reliability (like during a race) is a major concern, replace it frequently to your discretion. Personally, I've only replaced 1 SRAM Powerlink since around 2013. It's come undone once during riding, coincidentally riding lightly on flat paving, but no issues any other time. I don't think I've detached the link more than 15 times during this period.

My point is, I believe detaching them frequently causes wear and reduced reliability, but can be ignored for the most part!

no need to swing your hand bag so early in the morning darling - you arent required to respond but you do .... so predictable :whistling: