2019 Giant Anthem Advanced Pro 29 with Fox's Live Valve

Brendan Vogt

Has anyone ridden this bicycle before?

I am asking more about the new fork and rear shock from Fox that uses the new Live Valve technology.

I would love to know what your experience was riding this bicycle with emphasis on the fork and shock. How was the setup, any issues? How was your riding? Did the technology work as expected?

I am in 2 minds regarding this bicycle because it is new tech for a bicycle and it looks bulky with regards to the unit and the wiring. Is it worthwhile getting a bike with it now, or rather wait for more iterations of the unit?

Here is the link to the bicycle:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/za/bikes-anthem-advanced-pro-29-2019

Team Imbuko Giant Pro cycling, is riding the Giant anthem advanced Pro 0 with live valve this season, and WOW it's absolutely amazing! It's really effortless riding the bike. Just turn it on before you go for your ride and you're ready to go! We used it in the Tankwa Trek and Cape Epic as well as a few other races and it's definitely the most efficient and fastest bike I've been on.

The live valve also doesn't way much at all, it's basically a battery(that weighs nothing) with a few sensor cables attached.

I would say it's definitely worth getting!!

How different is it from Spez Brain?

Same concept, much different in execution though.

Spez uses a valve that is activated by a change in inertia or impact - there will always be lag in this system - an initial clunk followed by the suspension giving way. It has of course been improved upon drastically over the last 15 years or so.

Fox Live Valve uses sensors and a conputor to change damper setting on the suspension. This is much faster, so much faster than in theory (and from what reviewers say) you should not feel the switch from suspension being firm to plush - it will just work when you need it to and be firm when you need it to.

An example would be the curb test - riding the bike straight into a sidewalk. In theory with the Spez brain you will feel the initial impact more after which the suspension will give, with Fox Live Valve you will not feel the impact as the suspension will give way immediately, almost as if it were never firm.

I won't jump to use this tech on my bike as my suspension is firm for an hour while climbing and then open for a descent - but for an XCO or marathon bike, even for a trail bike where the surface is undulating, this tech would be amazing. Although, with this, a power meter, a Garmin, your sos beacon in your helmet, your wireless dropper post, and electronic shifting there are just too many things to charge before a ride - I guess the solution is an ebike so everything can run off your big battery ;)

Edited by Grease_Monkey

In the automotive applications this type of system is high maintenance and often is affected by cavitation. I'm sure it will feel good for the first 10 hours but thereafter I'd be interested to see what the reviews are like. Nice tech but I'll pass till its more mature

Team Imbuko Giant Pro cycling, is riding the Giant anthem advanced Pro 0 with live valve this season, and WOW it's absolutely amazing! It's really effortless riding the bike. Just turn it on before you go for your ride and you're ready to go! We used it in the Tankwa Trek and Cape Epic as well as a few other races and it's definitely the most efficient and fastest bike I've been on.

The live valve also doesn't way much at all, it's basically a battery(that weighs nothing) with a few sensor cables attached.

I would say it's definitely worth getting!!

Looks like a proper race whippet  :thumbup:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/gear/insight/bike-check-nicol-carstenss-giant-anthem-advanced-29-r7806?source=sidebar

A quick example of how well it works, in terms of speed and efficiency, the sensor on the fork and rear stay can detect free-fall, so if you hop a speed bump or drop off a flight of stairs, the suspension is already unlocked and waiting. 

I don't own a bike with it, just ridden one a couple of times. Truly amazing, especially for a 'first gen' product, however it has been developed for years in the motor vehicle industry. 

I can see this suspension becoming the top end bike norm/standard very soon, It won't fade away like the RS1. 

In the automotive applications this type of system is high maintenance and often is affected by cavitation. I'm sure it will feel good for the first 10 hours but thereafter I'd be interested to see what the reviews are like. Nice tech but I'll pass till its more mature

Well Nicol Carstens above raced it in the Cape Epic to an awesome 11th place.  That's over 27 hours of hard racing with no issues.

This is cool , like very cool but we as humans I believe aren't putting out enough to warrant this 

like cars are getting insane efficiency numbers and have complex engineering going into every part of the whole machine , but on A bicycle we are hardly reaching numbers that warrant this level of "optimisation" if you can call it that 

for instance put two identical riders ( let's call them Nino1 and Nino2 ) on identical bikes one with normal fox suspension and the other with the same but have Livevalve built onto it 

I truly believe in even A 8 Lap typical XC race the Live valve rider wouldn't get 1% further than the other 

However apply this to A Percision car that goes nearly 200km/h over much tougher terrain for weeks and i would definitely see hoe it can be justified 

But hey if you can buy it good for you , I'll probably still be drooling over it after the ride 

Well Nicol Carstens above raced it in the Cape Epic to an awesome 11th place.  That's over 27 hours of hard racing with no issues.

Yes the Epic where it received undivided attention everyday from trained mechanics.

Now let’s see how it handles joe soap and his constant ferreting

Well Nicol Carstens above raced it in the Cape Epic to an awesome 11th place. That's over 27 hours of hard racing with no issues.

I don't know enough about this tech to comment on it's durability or longevity - but 27 hours with check ups every 5 of those hours does not prove anything. That's only 10% of the way to a full suspension service for most consumers...

Okay just quickly remeber that Live essentially only turns the knobs , in terms of airspring and damping performance this is basically A fox DPS and should have the same reliability 

If the Live valve has an issue it will resort to fully open in which cae it will perfomr perfect you just won't be able to lock it out , so Tinkering with it every 5hours is no different form tinkering with your normal suspension every 5 hours 

so joe soap might ride his live valve shock into it;s mo#R way before something actually happens to the electronic side , as Joe soap tends to do with their normal suspension ...you know ...only takingit in for A "service " once the stanchions are down to bare alloy