Specialized Epic Comp or Another

tomsegon

Hey All,

Looking to move away from the hardtail and onto something a bit more comfy for the trails and bumps.

Have seen a couple options, really quite keen on the Specialized epic Comp, seems well priced and spec'd.

I am just not entirely sure of the brain - how well do they work? how pricey are they when they go wrong? and how often do they require service etc?

Looking forward to your comments and any other suggestions of bikes!

Are you dead set on an XC bike? Assuming you looking at an Epic Compy alloy, there are a few options with a bit more travel and thus a bit more versatility.

Something like a Merida 120 (800 models seems to be on a nice special now) or a Scott Spark 950 would be worth looking at. The Scott has the Twinloc and so can be fully locked out with a remote, which the Merida doesn't have. Versus the Specialized, the Merida has better spec IMO in terms of components, whilst the Scott would be pretty similar. Both would give you 20mm more travel for a much more versatile bike

Edited by the_bob

+1 for the Giant Trance 29, probably one of the best bang for buck dual-sus you can buy at the moment. 

Check out the epic evo rather. Its 4k more but comes with the dropper, 120mm travel, & wider bars. 

I got the std epic comp and am enjoying it, but would probably go for the Stumpy ST if I had the choice again....since I am not or ever intend to be a podium finisher :)

Also every time the brain and shock requires servicing, it has to go to CT. 

Saying all the above, the epic is very "plush" and you will enjoy it coming off a HT....its a great bike!

Any rear shock will need to be sent away at some time for a service. I would look at Anthem, Spark or Sido. Ride demo bikes to see what you like. I don’t like the clunk from the rear shock on the Epic. Compare Spark specs with other bikes - I feel the 960 and up is a bit pricey for the spec you get.

The epic evo looks very nice. Would have been great with a fox shock on the back ????

Hey All,

Looking to move away from the hardtail and onto something a bit more comfy for the trails and bumps.

Have seen a couple options, really quite keen on the Specialized epic Comp, seems well priced and spec'd.

I am just not entirely sure of the brain - how well do they work? how pricey are they when they go wrong? and how often do they require service etc?

Looking forward to your comments and any other suggestions of bikes!

Do you want a multipurpose bike or something more focused?

If multi purpose do you lean more towards local trails or marathon events including multistage?