SA's most technical MTB race?

Rock Guy

I have been wondering, Do we have a proper technical mountain bike race in SA? I don't mean enduro, which we obviously do have and they are loads of fun, but rather a one day or multi day race that has some seriously technical terrain as the main feature?

I've done the Piket-bo-berg race, which was fun and had tons of single track, but it wasn't all that technical. Origin of Trails is probably the closest thing I can think of in terms of a more technically challenging race. Is there anything else out there that is on par or maybe more challenging?

Edited by Rock Guy

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been wondering, Do we have a proper technical mountain bike race in SA? I don't mean enduro, which we obviously do have and they are loads of fun, but rather a one day or multi day race that has some seriously technical terrain as the main feature?

I've done the Piket-bo-berg race, which was fun and had tons of single track, but it was all very groomed and not too technical. Origin of Trails is probably the closest thing I can think of in terms of a more technically challenging race. Is there anything else out there that is on par or maybe more challenging?

I don't think Piket-bo Berg was groomed. Certainly wasn't very technical, but quite rocky so not groomed at all.

Unless I misunderstand your definition of groomed?

I've done the Piket-bo-berg race, which was fun and had tons of single track, but it was all very groomed and not too technical. Origin of Trails is probably the closest thing I can think of in terms of a more technically challenging race. Is there anything else out there that is on par or maybe more challenging?

Yes, the Eselfontein 3 day stage race. Its got it all - sand, rocks and  mostly single track. Its also the cheapest 3 day race in SA if not the world. 

I did Piket Bo-Berg a couple of years ago and 'groomed' would not be how I would describe it - but can't speak to to the state of those trails now...

Yes, the Eselfontein 3 day stage race. Its got it all - sand, rocks and  mostly single track. Its also the cheapest 3 day race in SA if not the world. 

But there is nothing massively technical. I suppose we need to define technical.

I don't think Piket-bo Berg was groomed. Certainly wasn't very technical, but quite rocky so not groomed at all.

Unless I misunderstand your definition of groomed?

Maybe groomed isn't the best term, but it was never difficult. I'll modify the original post..

But there is nothing massively technical. I suppose we need to define technical.

Well in SA it passes the tech test. Ridden at speed the rocky blown out stuff qualifies in my book. When I did it, the tech was too mcuh for many.

Well in SA it passes the tech test. Ridden at speed the rocky blown out stuff qualifies in my book. When I did it, the tech was too mcuh for many.

there are certainly no easy km's in that race.

absa Cape Epic

:ph34r:

Beat me to it... Was about to say the exact same thing. Edited by Boerklong

Another one is the Gansbaai 1 or 2 day event. 50km on one day that had people gasping for breath and walking the most fun tech bits.

Magalies Monster.

The descent after the big climb of the day will catch you out if not concentrating. Ninja rocks waiting in grass to get you off your bike. Although this race has been watered down to attract more folk, it's still not a gravel ride with some singletrack in between.